Thread: 2 questions?

User Info Menu

Default 2 questions?

hi every 1 how r u guyz hope all is well anyways i have 2 questions:-
    1- how can i make my drums more fun cause im doin rudiments everyday n its kinda getting boring
    2-whts the easeist metal song 2 cover (must be with double bass)?

User Info Menu

Default Re: 2 questions?

dunno bout your second question mate..
    but the first one..
    if you need to practise, then play your rudiments but make it more interesting by playing around your kit, working out interesting grooves.
    For just a plain bit of fun on your kit, what i love doing is putting on a fast tempo song, one that i know quite well and play to it. I hardly ever play the original beats or fills for the song im playing to. I just let the sticks do the talking and try to find some new, interesting grooves that fit with the song, and have great fun in the process!
    hope this helps
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Morturson, good questions. I'll try to help too.

#1) Find a way to incorporate the rudiments across your entire kit to break up the mondane feeling you get when you've reached a stale point in the rudiment excercise. Start slow and work the rudiment until it feels natural and you don't think about it while you're sticking. Grin and bear it...rudiments can be boring but the fruits of your labor will be large.

#2) You'll get lots of opinions on this one but "Crazy Train" by Ozzie was one of my first "metal" tunes but I'm an old fart. "Sandman" by Metallica sounds pretty syncopated but farily straight forward.

How long have you been playing the drums? Maybe by answering this question can help others answer your questions. Good luck and keep drumming.
    Last edited by late8; 12-02-2009 at 04:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Paint smiley faces on the batter heads that should make it more fun,
    as for the second question, well I have no idea.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

welcome to forums moturson! 2) easiest that i can think of is Motorhead "Overnight Sensation" there's a double bass section at the end of the song that really tests ya. Mostly it's a basic beat though that you can get into. Check it out sometime. cheers
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I can't answer the second one either. I can't stand metal.
    As for the first one; practice with music. Take simple songs that are somewhat repetitive and practice rudiments along with them. Just make sure you have them clean first. Practicing with songs at different tempos just helps get the speed up. You can also practice them with cool drum machine patterns where you can adjust tempo. This helps keep it fun too.

Good luck, ... and welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that when I practice my rudiments, I use a phone book over the snare and heavy sticks. I learned this from one of the members here when I first joined. It has helped me gain better control of my double stroke roll because of the weight of the sticks and no rebound from the phone book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I forgot to mention that when I practice my rudiments, I use a phone book over the snare and heavy sticks. I learned this from one of the members here when I first joined. It has helped me gain better control of my double stroke roll because of the weight of the sticks and no rebound from the phone book.
    just a helpful hint..........take then sticks out of the wrapper and dem rudiments will come easier!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    just a helpful hint..........take then sticks out of the wrapper and dem rudiments will come easier!!
    It was you... now that I remember, that gave me this tip via pm right?

User Info Menu

lol... The Rat man is back!

User Info Menu

Good to see ya post again rat.........

Heres my suggestions on the original topic:

1.As already mentioned, keep the rudiments practice fun or you will get bored and stop learning them.

2.As far as the best song.......Ive got nothing nice to say so I will be quiet........LOL, I dont care for metal either.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

For the metal song, One is not too bad. If nothing else you can just practice the double bass part.

Cowboys From Hell by Pantera has a couple of double bass parts mixed in with some change ups and fills that should at least keep you interested. It's a fun song to play, if you haven't already.

Hope that gets you started.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It was you... now that I remember, that gave me this tip via pm right?
    nope never sent you a pm, ever ever ever.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

nope never sent you a pm, ever ever ever.
    sorry wrong helpful guy.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by moturson View Post
    hi every 1 how r u guyz hope all is well anyways i have 2 questions:-
    1- how can i make my drums more fun cause im doin rudiments everyday n its kinda getting boring
    2-whts the easeist metal song 2 cover (must be with double bass)?
    1: stop playing rudiments?

2: Try anything at half speed

Larrysperf Guest

for rudiments the learning tapes called Lay it Down are great IMHO

User Info Menu

My best advice here, if you are attempting to liven up your playing and are bored of rudiments. Warm up with rudiments a little while when you first sit down, then hit up your favorite songs. They can be single or double bass tracks doesn't really matter, but this way you are getting a little bit of the Rudie's in and still having fun and the time budgeted toward learning your songs. Check it out sometime.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

OP, first of all, stop playing on those phone books. Contrary to popular belief, this will not make you better at playing rudiments or rolls. Plus, you are getting bored with it so do something else. Listen to your boredom! It is your subconscious telling you something doesn't work.

Try putting on a song and just playing fills through it if you want something fun to do. Play the melodies on the drums. If there is a guitar solo, adapt it so you are emulating the solo line on your drums.

I'm trying to think of double bass songs that have reasonable tempos. "Only" by Anthrax might fit the bill. Not a hard d-bass song but other parts of it might be more difficult, although you can work your way around that. I think Charlie Benante actually played it with one foot, but it moves by fast enough where you could use d-bass. While it isn't metal, a lot of people have learned "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen as their first double bass song. This is a double bass "shuffle" and there are tons of people demonstrating it on YouTube.
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat, Mo !
    I change my drum setup every now and then to make things interesting. For example, if you play 2-up/1-down, change it to 1-up/2-down where you mount your larger tom on a stand next to your floor-tom. You'd be surprised how differently you play...almost a different style.

Here is a very cool song to jam on (The Real me). WASP does a killer version of it : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqT2Y2l6aLA"]YouTube- The Real Me - W.A.S.P.[/ame]

Rock On !

User Info Menu

To exercise my legs, I have a lot of stuff like this on my MP3 player to play along with. Impellitteri always has some great drumming stuff and I often play along with this song. BTW, That's Glen Sobel on the drums...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKV9BHP1asY"]YouTube- IMPELLITTERI - Last of a Dying Breed[/ame]
    Last edited by JayW; 12-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals