Thread: Cajon comparison results

User Info Menu

Default Cajon comparison results

I bought the Meinl Burl String Cagon and the Fat Congas Sring Cajon and compared them side by side at home and at church(with Mic and withiout).

To me (and my band mates and sound guy).... The Fat Congas Cajon sounds WAY bettter. The Bass is so clean and deep with a nice thump and the slap is very clean as well with tow or three distinct hi pitched sounds near the top. Also, the opposite side has no stings and makes a nice "woody"sound. You can play both sides at the same time too. It would be nice if it were a bit larger, though.. for comfort.. but not a big deal. Basically if the Fat Congas is the only one I would play.. if it didn't sound good, I would probably give up on the cajon all together or try and make one. Really strurdy as well.

Btw - the "rattle" (not the snare sound) some have talked about.. I put a peice of standard printer paper in between the face and the strings and that took most if it out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon comparison results

I've never liked the bass tone on the Meinl cajons, they sound too hollow and not boomy enough to me, and they've always had that rattle that you mentioned. I've only played the ones at Guitar Center, so I wouldn't be supprised if they can be adjusted and were just poorly setup. Their snare effect sounds great though in my opinion.

I've always heard great things about Fat Congas, I've had my eye on their bass cajon for some time now, and I love to get a set of the conga cajons.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon comparison results

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I've never liked the bass tone on the Meinl cajons, they sound too hollow and not boomy enough to me, and they've always had that rattle that you mentioned. I've only played the ones at Guitar Center, so I wouldn't be supprised if they can be adjusted and were just poorly setup. Their snare effect sounds great though in my opinion.

I've always heard great things about Fat Congas, I've had my eye on their bass cajon for some time now, and I love to get a set of the conga cajons.
    I just played the Fat Congas Cajon with Nylon brushes ...Wow.. does it sound SWEET!!

Can't wait till I play them at Church next Wednesday. Got a lot of good coments about the Cajon I played last night for the first time .. Along with a small djembe (the one I found in the trash and refurbed).. and shaker .. perfect. But now.. with brushes.