Thread: VIDEO - Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature Snare w/Russ Miller Groove Wedge

User Info Menu

Default VIDEO - Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature Snare w/Russ Miller Groove Wedge

As requested by drumnpk, here is a review of my circa 1990 14x5 Maple Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature snare. I'll admit I did get this drum because of the name on it (which I don't recommend these days), but I was 15 or so and impulsive. I lucked out, because this is the best sounding snare I have ever played. The dual strainer design lets you tune one set loose and one set tight for a really nice blended sound. The snares are original and getting a bit stretched out, but replacements are $40 EACH, so I'll stick with them for now. I think I paid $600 for it. The new ones go for $700+, are 5.5" deep, have absolute lugs, and are flat black. There was a steel model at one time, but they are really hard to find. they come in 13" as well.

This video was shot with the Zoom Q3. I normalized the audio, but didn't process it any other way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-1LZtgcao"]YouTube- Dave Weckl Snare Test - recorded with a Zoom Q3[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: VIDEO - Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature Snare w/Russ Miller Groove Wedge

Sweet snare man! Sounds great.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: VIDEO - Yamaha Dave Weckl Signature Snare w/Russ Miller Groove Wedge

Great video Shane! It showed not only the what the snare could do for you, but also a bit of what you could do with the snare. Well done!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Excellent job, Shane.

Thanks for the effort!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks gentlemen. I get a week off for Christmas/New Year, and I plan on doing a few more video reviews of my favorite stuff.

I'm still playing with the best way to process the video from this camera. It looks good straight out, but I need to normalize the audio so I take it into Adobe Premiere. I haven't got the video output settings correct yet. If anyone knows anything about this stuff please send me a note.

User Info Menu

Very nice sounding snare. Thanks for taking the time to produce and post this!

User Info Menu

Hey Shane, the snare sounds great thanks for the effort you put into making the video Weckl one of my favourite drummers.Good to hear what the snare sounds like with no micing etc..It's a great snare.
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":