Thread: any thoughts on a Roland TD-4SX (with mesh heads)

User Info Menu

Default any thoughts on a Roland TD-4SX (with mesh heads)

hey all...

i have a used simmons SD7k (has rubber heads) and am thinking up up grading to a Roland TD-4SX (mesh heads); this unit is kind'a new on the market (i think)...

any thoughts?

anyone have one? like/dislike?

thanks...

User Info Menu

Default Re: any thoughts on a Roland TD-4SX (with mesh heads)

I bought one a few weeks ago to use for practice in my flat. I like it very much baut this is my first electronic kit so other than comparisons in the drum shop, I daon't have a lot of experience to share with you. I don't, to this point, use anything other than the factory kit and settings simply because I don't need a lot of different sounds and the factory kits are perfectly adequate for my purposes. I chose the mesh head version out of consideration for my neighbors who might hear the ticking on the rubber pads and for what I think is a better stick feel.
    I hope others with more experience than I will add their thoughts.

User Info Menu

hey... thanks... funny you mention the "rubber" vs. "mesh" in terms of noise... i have my e-kit in the home office, which is UNDER my son's (10 year old) bed room.... once he goes to bed, i'm done for the night!! as he can hear the POUNDING!!! i guess this is another reason to switch to "mesh" (but i had forgotten all about it!)

User Info Menu

The TD-4 is not new, but the pad configuration is.

I like the TD-4 kit, and nearly bought one. But, Roland and its vendors dropped the price of the TD-9 S/K kit and and I went with it instead.

For $1250, the TD-9 module's greater flexibility and features, combined with the upgraded stand seemed like a better value to me.

But, different people want different things and I can see why the TD-4 SX is appealing.

I think you will love it.

User Info Menu

hey, are you saying the T9 (brain, mesh pads and all) is ~$1300???

perhaps i missed something...
    ?

User Info Menu

i've been RUINED i say... RUINED! for my current Simmons SD7K...

i went off to a local samash and spent some time with the Rol. TD-4SX!

it was like angles were whispering in my ears! sounded like heaven on earth! and the feel!!! the responsiveness of the mesh heads!!! oh why, why... why did i:
    - ever bother with the rubber pads (they are too loud to play at night with my son above me)

and

- why did i go today and touch the hand (rather "head") of god!!!

i will NOT be able to play the simmons SD7K without longing for the Rol. TD-4SX!!!

i'll be getting it as soon as i can scar up the cash....

!!!

User Info Menu

i've been RUINED i say... RUINED! for my current Simmons SD7K...

i went off to a local samash and spent some time with the Rol. TD-4SX!

it was like angles were whispering in my ears! sounded like heaven on earth! and the feel!!! the responsiveness of the mesh heads!!! oh why, why... why did i:
    - ever bother with the rubber pads (they are too loud to play at night with my son above me)

and

- why did i go today and touch the hand (rather "head") of god!!!

i will NOT be able to play the simmons SD7K without longing for the Rol. TD-4SX!!!

i'll be getting it as soon as i can scare up the cash....

!!!

Last edited by primemover; 12-06-2009 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

just saw the red "thumbs down" sign...??

does anyone know where that came from???
    ------------

i guess i did it by mistake (just removed it via "advanced" editing)
    Last edited by primemover; 12-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by primemover View Post
    hey, are you saying the T9 (brain, mesh pads and all) is ~$1300???

perhaps i missed something...
    ?
    Nope. TD-9 S/K is the kit with rubber and mesh; it's $1250. TD-9SX is the kit with mesh heads.

I don't mind the rubber toms, and I can always upgrade the pads if I change my mind.

But, why I chose the TD-9 over the TD-4 kit is the module. I just liked the features of the TD-9 that much more. I also liked the stand that comes with the TD-9 kit.

User Info Menu

hey!

i'm leaning towards the TD-9 now.... (even though it is $$$$ more!) i see that i can add 2 more toms/cymbals (and the "brian" is a bit more advanced), also, the TD-4 (i see now) is a bit smaller (in terms of overall size) and may limit where toms can be positioned, etc... I currently have a simmons SD7K (which has the same general frame as TD-9) and think moving to a smaller kit (TD-4) might hold me back a little...

so, quick question (i checked Roland site, could not find the info), CAN the brain of TD-9 accept ipod (and/or computer mp3 file) input?

i have to assume it would, but you know what they say about assuming...

?

thanks...

User Info Menu

The TD9 module will accept audio input in real time w/o regard for song format or make/model of player. This allows you to play along with songs on your laptop, cd player, etc.

However I do not believe you can mport or export digital song files in mp3 format via the USB if that is what you were asking. You may be able to do it in .wav format, I haven't tried. Best to download the user manual, it is available in .pdf on line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by primemover View Post
    hey!

i'm leaning towards the TD-9 now.... (even though it is $$$$ more!) i see that i can add 2 more toms/cymbals (and the "brian" is a bit more advanced), also, the TD-4 (i see now) is a bit smaller (in terms of overall size) and may limit where toms can be positioned, etc... I currently have a simmons SD7K (which has the same general frame as TD-9) and think moving to a smaller kit (TD-4) might hold me back a little...

so, quick question (i checked Roland site, could not find the info), CAN the brain of TD-9 accept ipod (and/or computer mp3 file) input?

i have to assume it would, but you know what they say about assuming...

?

thanks...
    Yes and no. You can put music .wav files on a usb stick and play them through the module.

You can connect an iPod or other device to the mix in jack on the module and play sounds that way. They will mix with your drum sounds and play through the headphone and audio outputs, but not the midi out.

I have an Alesis Transactive PA amp. I play the TD-9 through it, and it has an iPod dock, so I play my iPod through it too. I sometimes play my guitar/bass/e-mandolin through it too.

User Info Menu

hey... just posted a more direct ? re: TD-4 vs TD-9.... any additional thoughts on that concern would be appreciated...

- prime