Thread: The Deterioration of a Hoop

User Info Menu

Unhappy The Deterioration of a Hoop

While packing up my kit earlier. I noticed that the plies of my bass drum hoop are coming undone.

Scary isn't it?

Now...while running thoughts of possible options (I even thought about having fiberglass hoops made!)...I think the smart way to go about it is to listen to those who have had the same problem...and their solution.

Last time this happened to me...was...well....I think a three year old climbed on top of the kick (which was then a 90's pearl export kit). My solution was to get wood glue and clamp it ('til it dried), it didn't look pretty...but it held the plies.

Now I'm thinking of using a wood hardener...then probably a way of bending back the hoop (it's not round anymore)

The hoop is located on the resonant side...so it's still a mystery how this all started (unless it already was on the verge of cracking while in the hands of its first owner).

Now...this gives me a whole lot of perspective...when buying a new kit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Deterioration of a Hoop

Pretty common problem with older drum sets. It doesn't look bad enough to not attempt a fix. I would fill a syringe with wood glue, Elmers is good, or I always use Tightbond III and it works great, and use the syringe to get into the cracks. Fill it with glue and clamp tight wherever needed, you will probably need several clamps. I'd suggest slipping a piece of wood or cardboard in between the hoop and the clamp though, it can easily leave an indention. Afterwards sand off the excess glue and you're back in business.

User Info Menu

That happened to me, so I just got a metal hoop.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

a little glue and a couple clamps ,,,and it'll be fine.. should be a quick fix..

User Info Menu

Talking Syringe IT!

Thanks GH AND AC!

I definetely agree that it isn't THAT bad. I guess the biggest challenge would be to find a syringe that would do the job, and also wood glue that would be a decent consistency to flow through that narrow syringe. As you can notice in the second picture, there is also some cracking happening on the inner ply (which is lacquered), so hopefully the glue would be able to reach there!

Since I don't have any clamps handy! I'd have to either find a hobbyist close by....or buy some (which I think wouldn't be a good idea since I don't see any further use for them...aside from shell repair).

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Pretty common problem with older drum sets. It doesn't look bad enough to not attempt a fix. I would fill a syringe with wood glue, Elmers is good, or I always use Tightbond III and it works great, and use the syringe to get into the cracks. Fill it with glue and clamp tight wherever needed, you will probably need several clamps. I'd suggest slipping a piece of wood or cardboard in between the hoop and the clamp though, it can easily leave an indention. Afterwards sand off the excess glue and you're back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    a little glue and a couple clamps ,,,and it'll be fine.. should be a quick fix..

@XW ---- yeah...that is one way to go. I was actually thinking of going Acrylic, or something else that wouldn't be as heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    That happened to me, so I just got a metal hoop.

User Info Menu

just dont get any glue where you clamp it, sure wouldnt be fun glueing the clamp to the hoop ...lol

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Watch where you glue...

Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    just dont get any glue where you clamp it, sure wouldnt be fun glueing the clamp to the hoop ...lol

User Info Menu

Super glue will soak and penetrate down into the cracks. Saran Wrap "like the kitchen stuff",then a piece of wood, then clamps. You may have to repeat this process a few times but the super glue will dry fast. You should then be good to go. The other types of glue will not penetrate as good because the are too thick. The two or three coates of super will be every bit as strong or stronger. John

User Info Menu

Talking A slightly Related Repairer

@John

Thanks for the additional information.

I've actually decided to hand the repair to a Violin Maker [Slash] Cabinet Maker...

..I know it might seem like overkill. But I think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    Super glue will soak and penetrate down into the cracks. Saran Wrap "like the kitchen stuff",then a piece of wood, then clamps. You may have to repeat this process a few times but the super glue will dry fast. You should then be good to go. The other types of glue will not penetrate as good because the are too thick. The two or three coates of super will be every bit as strong or stronger. John

User Info Menu

Leigh, what kit did this hoop come off? I hopemy hoops never have this problem, but if it does, the infomation in this thread will sure help me! Alex

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Post Which Kit?

Alex,

That hoop came from a 90's Premier XPK kit (let me know if you want me to send you a link to pictures).

- Leigh

P.S.

Anyone else open to share their damaged shell/hoop pictures and maybe accompanying repair stories?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    Leigh, what kit did this hoop come off? I hopemy hoops never have this problem, but if it does, the infomation in this thread will sure help me! Alex
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 04-15-2010 at 05:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Injured hoop on vintage Ludwig vistalite set. Not a glue situation, but careful refinish. Darn hoop mount cowbell. (Never again!--many other non hoop options out there).

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Talking Re: The Deterioration of a Hoop

Tad...how did you end up dealing with the re-finish? (you can also include a link to the thread/post --- if you posted the details before)

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Injured hoop on vintage Ludwig vistalite set. Not a glue situation, but careful refinish. Darn hoop mount cowbell. (Never again!--many other non hoop options out there).

User Info Menu

Hi Leigh--

Lots of opinions on this (repainting bass drum hoop). The one in the photo is wooden, with a silver sparkle inlay.

One method I used in past that works good (and I've looked at a lot of restorer forums on this) is to cover the inlay (taking it out is a huge pain) with blue painter's masking tape (trimming edges of the tape carefully along edge of the inlay, if you even have inlay).

Lightly sand. Apply coat of primer. Lightly rub with 0000 steel wool. Apply light coats of flat black. More steel wool. Apply light coat lacquer for shiny finish.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Post Solution # 1?

Thanks for the info Tad!

I actually got a really good violin luthier (who sort of stays under the radar) to sort it out as it had been a while ago now (2010). Here's one picture before the clamps came off.

What he did was take out that whole section of the hoop that was cracking, then replace it that whole section with a new piece of wood.

I thought the idea was pretty cool: to have a piece of wood used for violins in my kit.

Now as to the kind of wood...I hope I find that detail in notes somewhere...though was told that it would likely be Cypress.

will make a note to take a pic of the hoop next time to share.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Hi Leigh--

Lots of opinions on this (repainting bass drum hoop). The one in the photo is wooden, with a silver sparkle inlay.

One method I used in past that works good (and I've looked at a lot of restorer forums on this) is to cover the inlay (taking it out is a huge pain) with blue painter's masking tape (trimming edges of the tape carefully along edge of the inlay, if you even have inlay).

Lightly sand. Apply coat of primer. Lightly rub with 0000 steel wool. Apply light coats of flat black. More steel wool. Apply light coat lacquer for shiny finish.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 07-25-2013 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks like that may just work out fine..the closest I came to hoop repair was to replace a small piece of veneer on the outside of my hoop about 2 1/2" long..make shift clamp sorta kinda the circular shape..worked! just painted it black rotated it from where it was originally placed ( under pedal of course ) and no problems so far! good luck
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Nice Leigh! I'm sure it will look great when it's done.

I had to take care of a similar situation with my reso hoop, but it only had a couple of plies separating, and I caught it early. Mine was repaired with some encouragement from fellow DC'er, a little glue, and a little polyurethane.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Talking Hoop Rehab

Yes Marty it did!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Looks like that may just work out fine..the closest I came to hoop repair was to replace a small piece of veneer on the outside of my hoop about 2 1/2" long..make shift clamp sorta kinda the circular shape..worked! just painted it black rotated it from where it was originally placed ( under pedal of course ) and no problems so far! good luck

PB --- It worked so well that I couldn't find evidence where it got fixed! (I'm not sure if I should post pictures now! as I might be posting the wrong side).

Do you have some before/after pics of your reso hoop?

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Nice Leigh! I'm sure it will look great when it's done.

I had to take care of a similar situation with my reso hoop, but it only had a couple of plies separating, and I caught it early. Mine was repaired with some encouragement from fellow DC'er, a little glue, and a little polyurethane.

User Info Menu

Leigh, like you, I don't think the repair would show at all, so I didn't bother.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Talking To more years in service!

Lets just hope nothing else would happen in other areas!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Leigh, like you, I don't think the repair would show at all, so I didn't bother.

I'd be interested to hear from other forum members who gave up on the damaged hoop. I thought about the time that I may give up on the kit if another ply-related damage happened -- but then...thought what would happen to the kit. I guess I could claim I'm eco friendly, and ensure I keep looking after the kit (even if the repair may be pricey)

User Info Menu

Your original pics aren't coming through for me but you could always just replace the hoop if it gets real bad. And if its from the pedal get a 5000 or 9000 dw pedal they have rubber grips so it won't do that.
    Sabian!!!