Thread: Staining your shells?

User Info Menu

Question Staining your shells?

I have a few blemishes on my kit from bass players and guitar players moving my equipment around and they are starting to but me. I have a Gretsch Catalina Maple Kit in Cherry Red. Now my question is, if i sand it down and get all the paint of it and make it even and all that jazz, can i use a wood stain to stain it insted of painting and having to wait forever just to use my kit?
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Staining your shells?

If you are wanting to sand it down and stain it you had better expect to be without your set for a while. It takes a good bit of time to do all of the sanding and prepping the shells for stain. Then you have to apply the clear coats letting each coat dry then sanding each coat until the final, usually 4 coats. And that takes time. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    If you are wanting to sand it down and stain it you had better expect to be without your set for a while. It takes a good bit of time to do all of the sanding and prepping the shells for stain. Then you have to apply the clear coats letting each coat dry then sanding each coat until the final, usually 4 coats. And that takes time. John
    He's right. It would take weeks to get good results, and that's if you know what you are doing

User Info Menu

If you are in a hurry and want a professional result maybe you should consider a wrap over the current laquer. you could achieve a professional reslult with much less effort than a complete restaining and refinish job.

User Info Menu

Where can i find some good looking wraps?? cuz i dont like tacky ugly ones!

User Info Menu

Do you have pics of the blemishes?

If the scratches are just in the clear then you may be able to buff them out.

What do you consider a tacky wrap?

This is what your in for if you plan on re-staining the kit.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ght=superstars

Good luck!

User Info Menu

i can take come next time i go to the studio. but the big ones im worried about go all the way down to the wood. so im going to have to at least stain and sand and stuff. i dont know yet. might try to find a wrap i like.