Thread: Basically just bougth these for $150. Gon Bops

User Info Menu

Default Basically just bougth these for $150. Gon Bops

Scoooooorrrrreeeeeeeee. Getting shipping cost tomorrow, his wife put them up for sale so got a really good price. Here's the ad

Vintage Gon Bops congas with International hardware. Sizes (bearing edge-to-bearing edge) are 11.5", and 13.25" I think that makes them a tumba, and supertumba in old school Gon Bops sizes. The drums are in round and the tumba has some stave separation consistent with Gon Bops drums this old. Heads (all original I believe) are in great shape. There are minor scratches on both drums due to being played over the years. They still sound great and are fun to play. I can send more pictures if necessary.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Basically just bougth these for $150. Gon Bops

here's the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

They look pretty nice to me.Congrats.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I think I saw that listed on the Nashville CL too. I remember the "international hardware," and the comment that there was "some stave separation consistent with Gon Bops drums this old." Congratulations fishkiller!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

does the guy know his wife pretty much gave away his antiques..?

User Info Menu

What a deal. You got a Conga and a Tumba. They look like mine in a darker finish. Wish I could see them better. That pic is kind of small. I wish I could find a old 10" or 10"3/4 vintage Quinto Gon Bop for a good deal.

User Info Menu

I'll post some pics as soon as I get them. I haven't paid yet hopefully today so until then i'm just waitin anxiously. They are in California.

User Info Menu

Nice grab fishkiller! Incredible price! The super tumba is very rare and worth quite a bit in good condition. International hardware was the top of the line and very sturdy. I can't really tell from the small pictures what the wood is, it appears to be mahogany, but very well could be red oak with a dark stain. The badges are older, probably 60s or early 70s. Hope you get em!

User Info Menu

Sold , shipping out today. 4 hours south of me so should be here this week. Was searching for a tumba fiberglass and came across these. The ad was put in on my birthday dec. 6th and found it on the 7th. What a present. Couldn't believe it was the price for both, now I'm like a kid waiting for xmas morning to come.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Congrats! Glad to hear the deal went through for you, you will be amazed by the gon bops!

User Info Menu

Just opened them up @ work. Solid clean sound, insane. The measurements were different the heads are 10" and 11 3/4", must have been measuring the outside rings. The only cracks I see are very small ones at the base of the drum no more than 3/4". Looks like I still need a tumba. That makes 4 congas and two quintos. I"ll take some pics tonight.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the Gon Bops I had in the early 70s. I really loved the quinto. Good find Fishkiller

User Info Menu

Man what a great find. Beautiful! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Here's a larger pic, they have scratches but doens't effect the sound. Had fun playing them last night. Model #'s ITL-3014 and IC-3014. That quinto had me playing some different fun rhythms last night. I don't think they are oak though might be mahogany its hard to tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Fishkiller they look great! They look like they are the Mahogany drums. Bummer that the seller listed the wrong sizes, but pretty typical of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, which sounded like this lady didn't know anything about them. Still though, a nice set and good sizes for gon bops. I'm sure you've already noticed, but the head size reflects the sound differently on gon bops than other drums. The fat bellies give it a deeper tone allowing a smaller drum to be tuned lower. Your drums were considered by gon bops, conga and tumba, in fact the larger one was actually a large tumba hence the "ITL" (International tumba large), they made another tumba slightly smaller and also a XL tumba in 12.5 and XXL tumba in 13.5, I think they even got crazy in the 80s and put out some 14"+.

If the skins are original which they appear to be (they will have a gon bops stamp on the top), I'd suggest leaving them on. I've not found a single skin that can compare to the old GBs, I think L4C will back me up on this one. Anyways, great looking drums, I'm happy that you got such a fantastic deal on them! I look forward to seeing a restoration thread on these .

User Info Menu

got to agree with Gretchhead, the original Gon Bop heads were one of a kind; even my wife could get amazing tones out of them. Enjoy

User Info Menu

Thanks Grets, yeah restoration will be in future after playing these guys for a while. They do have a pretty thick coat of clear on them its going to be some work, nothing I can't handle though. Can't wait to get home from work and play some more. Thickest skin I ever saw is on both of these guys.

User Info Menu

The rim looks crooked on that drum to the right - is that because the skin doesn't stretch evenly and it needs to do that for proper tuning? Is that common? (I've never had a skin old enough to know).

They look really cool... enjoy.
    Last edited by Jibaro; 12-10-2009 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

No gun to the head, just straight up in and out with no one home lol. The head is fine, just got tightend down to much on the one side. Sometimes people do this for more comfort which I don't like. I'll post some pics of what happens when you do this. I bought my fiberglass LP with the side pulled down way hard and it warped the head big time. There's another killer deal for $250 for a pair in New Jersey I saw. They look like gon bops.

User Info Menu

Check em out on craigslist, its with alot of different items.

User Info Menu

Very nice fishkiller..........play them proudly.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Basically just bougth these for $150. Gon Bops

BOUGHT them? Bro', you STOLE them! Congrats, fishkiller--only thing I'd add to gonefishin's comment is PLAY 'EM LOUDLY AND PLAY 'EM PROUDLY!!!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Just saw the pics of the gon bops. Man you got a great deal. Those are going to be beautiful after you refinish them. post some pics.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red