Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Hand Drums

User Info Menu

Default Show Us Your Hand Drums

At the request of some of our hand drumming brethren, I will address an oversight on our part and begin this thread so that we can see the beautiful hand drums of our members. Please clean up the drool off your keyboards when you are finished here!

Post away!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show Us Your Hand Drums

Not "just" leedy! That's a whole store full of eye candy! Beautiful!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

PB.........Thanks for the thread sticky.

Leedy.........They are in great shape and look new, very nice. I have been to your my space page and your profile page to view your collection.......love it.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Show Us Your Hand Drums

Good idea, PB! Never thought of doin' this myself!

I will make up for this in fairly short order!

For the one or two DrumChatters who haven't seen them: From left, my red CP wooden quinto and conga; my LP Professional 2 series bongos; my Remo Pancho Sanchez tumba as set up at my church...yeah, the CPs have a few scuffs on them, but these congas are the b-bro's workhorses whether they're in church or in concert!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

And here's some oldies but goodies: The LP Professional Series bongos, which I'm playin' at a church picnic in 2004...in the background are my black fiberglass CP quinto and conga, which I purchased in 1987...and they still sound great over two decades later.

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I cannot take credit for this BB. GF brought this need to my attention. I just did as I was told!

BTW, I really enjoy seeing pics of you playing BB, although the amp on the keyboard stand makes me nervous! All I can think of is the line, ". . . and great was the fall of it."

User Info Menu

That was actually one of the guitarist's stands--and it never fell!

This was the gig at which a Buffett cover band was playing nearby, and I decided to compare equipment with their conga player...naturally we hit it off and compared notes--then his next question to me was "what are you doing this spring?" Turns out the dude was leaving 'cause his wife was having a baby...

and he was asking me if I'd consider playin' with them (he'd heard me)--but it wasn't meant to be...

That was then and this is now!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Here they are. House is to small so I have to keep and play them out in the garage. Waiting on some hand pick LP's waterbuffalo for my white LPs.

User Info Menu

Very nice collection fishkiller!

User Info Menu

Here is my Rhythm Traders Ash requinto and tumba. RT mambo series bongos. Log drum and a ceramic dumbeck. Only thing not here is my rawhide marachas. I also have a RT ash quinto on lay away, I can't wait to get it!
    Fishikiller; How was your salmon season down in Cali? we had great returns up here in OR. I'm looking forward to a good winter steelhead season this year too!

User Info Menu

Salmon, whats that lol. They closed us down for fishing salmon. They are now just starting the salmon enhancement pins again. We caught some incidental catches which we released or did we that were over 25 lbs while ball bouncing for halibut. Thats good you guys up north are still getting good runs. Nice collection of drums by the way. Did you get into any of those albacore offshore.

User Info Menu

congafly, welcome aboard! Great-looking setup...

and fishkiller, we gotta figure out a way to get those drums in the house! Cool drums, and I bet those LPs are gonna sound awesome with the new heads...

Charlie

User Info Menu

LP Matadors with Evans head on quinto & Remo Fiberskyn 3 on conga

Meinl Luis Conte's with L&H mule skins on conga & tumba

Matador bongos

Ivory Coast (Iroko) Djembe

Johnny Conga Guest

Here are my New Volcano Hawaiian Mangos made by Tom Alexander of Hawaii..."JC" Johnny Conga

User Info Menu

Beautiful JC, thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Conga View Post
    Here are my New Volcano Hawaiian Mangos made by Tom Alexander of Hawaii..."JC" Johnny Conga

He JC - how about some photos of the inside? Mr. Alexander makes a big deal about how the insides are finished but I don't see any photos on his site showing that.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I would like to say these are mine but they belong to my 10 yr old daughter.

They are Gon Bops Tumbao Series.

slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    just eye candy more if you go to profile albums
    ha ha ha...dont ask him to post his drums...it will take you a week to view them all ! Hes got the entire history of Latin drums, like a museum full , in his shop !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I would like to say these are mine but they belong to my 10 yr old daughter.

They are Gon Bops Tumbao Series.

Clean Gon Bops Tumbao series ! Be caefull the drums dont slide down at the drum stands extension tube...where the DW stand has sharp edges. I have seen NEW drums in stores, alreadt deeply scratched from that. Also..if not attached to the dbl stand...be cautious to protect the drums from the drum mounts big ears, which also scratch the shells badly. Have fun....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jibaro View Post
    He JC - how about some photos of the inside? Mr. Alexander makes a big deal about how the insides are finished but I don't see any photos on his site showing that.

Thanks.
    Hey..I didnt know JC ( Johnny Conga ) was posting in here too ! Very COOL ! Johnny's Volcano congas are beautifull looking & sound great ! All it takes is $$$ & desire !? Hmm I never heard of the issue of the interiors being finnished...or if it matters to our human hearing. BUT...if you mean, rounded out...well...when ever you remove the edges ( interior or exterior ) where the seams of the staves meet, you are removing the bonding surfaces that hold the drum togeather. Barrel stave drums are multi faceted by design. a rounded drum is puerly visual asthetics unless you want the drum to roll smoother down the stage or street ? I see no practical reason for interior finishings beyond weather / moiture sealing to keep the woods stable...not expanding & contracting too much ( thats what banding helps ). non banded drums still need some method to keep the shell integrity & defeate the tensions from tunning etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    New found toy timbales from 1955-1965 when owned by Slingerland drums later Slingerland changed lugs and claws to have it own Identity.these drum were in mint condition could not pass up
    sorry i could not post photo but can be seen on my space web site
    I wanna see ??? I recently found an old Slingerland Chromed brass timbales set w/ flanged rims & tom tom mountings on the shell ~ typical to add onto drumset like toms. I will correct some slight dents at the lugs...caused from not using good cases I guess ? once I find or make new cold rolled timbale rims or borrow some off my other 13" & 14 " tims, I will return these shells as Latin drums & not use the tom tom mounts on the shells. The chrome is scratched up a lot ( maybe these were in a public school for decades ? ) I will either give the shells a brushed satin resurfacing to hide the scratches or media blast them to hide the shell imperfections. I never replate the chrom, its too costly & toxic , labor intensive etc. The large diamond shaped tom style cast metal mounts have a 4 hole diamond layout like old Slingerlands & old Gretsch diamond plate clip mounts. I think I will just over lay a brass diamond shaped plate to cover the original mounting holes, maybe it will have a good cascara sound on the plate too ??? ( Another experiment !?? ) I did see the Leedy / Slingerlands U posted in My Space. Thats the same model I once owned. I never owned early Leedy's, But I refurbished some & enjoyed playing them in the Latin Jazz combos & some Salsa band situations. I never liked the results w/ plastic heads since they were not designed to fit plastic with the same free floating effect as the rims tucked w/ calf. These Slingerlands were made after the plastic heads were standardised. But the shallower shells, thinner shells are certainly different than the Great Leedy shells.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 04-13-2010 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    Hmm I never heard of the issue of the interiors being finnished...or if it matters to our human hearing. BUT...if you mean, rounded out...well...when ever you remove the edges ( interior or exterior ) where the seams of the staves meet, you are removing the bonding surfaces that hold the drum togeather. Barrel stave drums are multi faceted by design. a rounded drum is puerly visual asthetics unless you want the drum to roll smoother down the stage or street ? I see no practical reason for interior finishings beyond weather / moiture sealing to keep the woods stable...not expanding & contracting too much ( thats what banding helps ). non banded drums still need some method to keep the shell integrity & defeate the tensions from tunning etc.
    I was referring to this from the web site:

Drum Features:
    Congas equipped with press fitted 1/8" mirror finished stainless steel bottom rims and rubber floor protectors
    Drums staves are splined (doweled together)
    Drum interiors are finished (no glue line)
    Drum Shells are finished crystal clear Dupont Polymer
    Full Cover Bumper Guards
    Each side plate is equipped with rubber gaskets, backing plates and 4 stainless steel screws
    Skin hoops are made of stainless steel to prevent rusting
    Genuine Texas bull hide heads
    Optional Remo Heads

That does sound like he's rounding out the inside and removing material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    Here they are. House is to small so I have to keep and play them out in the garage. Waiting on some hand pick LP's waterbuffalo for my white LPs.
    Nice old Gon Bops ! The old LP glass drums too w/ the black congas stand mounts from the first LP heavy duty conga stand Then wood drums need protection from the changing air & tempratures . Wood does expand & contract & can crack or go out of round. The heads too...can get over stretched or tear. Certainly de tune them ( bongos too ) cover them...uses cases etc. ( I hated those ugly paper lables on Lp's. I always soaked them w/ Goof Off & used a nylon plastic scrapper tool to remove them. I'd even remove the LP badges. ( not siggesting u do same ) Nice picture....SAVE Those Gon Bops ! treat them well...they are valued by congueros !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jibaro View Post
    I was referring to this from the web site:

Drum Features:
    Congas equipped with press fitted 1/8" mirror finished stainless steel bottom rims and rubber floor protectors
    Drums staves are splined (doweled together)
    Drum interiors are finished (no glue line)
    Drum Shells are finished crystal clear Dupont Polymer
    Full Cover Bumper Guards
    Each side plate is equipped with rubber gaskets, backing plates and 4 stainless steel screws
    Skin hoops are made of stainless steel to prevent rusting
    Genuine Texas bull hide heads
    Optional Remo Heads

That does sound like he's rounding out the inside and removing material.
    This sounds like a good / well thought out drum ! I once owned drums custom built by Benny Sotello ( formerly w/ " Fat Congas " of Santa Barbara. Very simular...used Only Stainless steel hardwares...& much better designed than any drum in major produdtion or even custom made. I have pics in my Facebook photos ( same name as u see here )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

I will make up for this in fairly short order!

For the one or two DrumChatters who haven't seen them: From left, my red CP wooden quinto and conga; my LP Professional 2 series bongos; my Remo Pancho Sanchez tumba as set up at my church...yeah, the CPs have a few scuffs on them, but these congas are the b-bro's workhorses whether they're in church or in concert!
    Those bumper gaurds on the REMO congas...are the best ! I use them or make some like them from toy car rubber wheels from 2 nd hand stores ! lol