Thread: Test Drive 3A Bongó first review

User Info Menu

Default Test Drive 3A Bongó first review

Hello Percussionist.
    Alright last night was road test for the Black Widower 3A Percussion Bongó. I had a rehearsal and he was out to the test. First when I took it out of the case the Conga player almost pass out from that impression. Then after some tunning I was ready to slap it left and right. This Bongó is very easy to get a sharp slap and the Hembra has a nice deep melow sound. So we startet playing some themes and even with my musician ear plugs I could feel the power and how this beauty cut thru the band. Then we switch so the Conguero could have a taste, It is always good to have somebody else with a different technique to play your instrument, there you can appreciate the sound quality specially the Martillo tone . That taki taki toc is very important to be of a solid sound.Thus far it has 5 stars, let see as time goes by and aging takes place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Test Drive 3A Bongó first review

La araña negra is not solid anymore. The skins look awesome.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Test Drive 3A Bongó first review

Arre, your brother conguero wasn't the only one who almost passed out when he saw those bongos! I flipped out, too...those black shells and black heads look wicked, man...

Knowin' you, you'll be givin' us updates almost every time you play them! If you can, I'd love to see and hear you playin' them--and I suspect I'm not alone, hermano!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Specatular looking bongos, thanks for the review! I love the nickname too, "Black Widower" very suiting!

User Info Menu

Thanks People,
    Leedy you may be right, I hope not but I got a friend who is willing to pay $350 for the Moperc I own, if he does then I would have to find a replacement. A Tambores Barranquilla Model could be my next choice if it still in production.

Bongobro, I have spoke to a friend who does video recordings and we have agreed to get together during a future gig (Jan 16 ) in order to video the band. That way I be able to post on youtube.

Giadan, you are right, 3A is not doing 1 piece solid wood anymore,he is doing the stave mode. The Bongó is made of Flor Morado, that wood has many names as I was looking into the web.

Gretschhead, yes indeed, that name really applys.

The thing about Colombia is the shipping. You buy as an example a $150 set and have to pay the same amount for the shipping. I have been lucky that he was down here and I could select before anybody. If anyone is interested contact him online or at Tel 011 573 166 206 111 and next time he is here the shipping to the U.S could be as much as $40 including the insurance.

User Info Menu

Great review and very good pics. Thanks for the review. I keep wanting to buy more instruments everytime I log on to DrumChat. Wife is looking a little worried that I'm bloated with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

User Info Menu

I don't know a thing about bongos, but man, they look amazing!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Leedy, the one he is making these days are stave type. He told me getting good wood for the solid ones was harder so he decided to go staves. I do not think about having any problems,down here the temperature is about the same all year around.

Thanks xweasel, it is the time to adquire a good set and start your voyage.