Thread: New....

User Info Menu

Default New....

Here is my set only a couple of weeks old with the stock heads. They sound aweful, overtone and ring everywhere. My drum teacher tuned the and got them to sound the best they can. I am going to beat on them for a little while because I am a noob and why change them just yet. When I go to get new ones what do you guys suggest? I read alot of reviews at Musicians Friend and they all kinda go in a cirlce. Some say Evans others Remo's and Aquarian. Some say mix and match. I was wondering if I could get some tried and tested input from all of your knowledged minds. And do you think its all right to leave the stock resonant heads on for a little while after I change the batter heads?

Any input helps.

Thanks

User Info Menu

When it comes to heads, a lot of it is personal taste. I myself prefer Remo heads, as other drummers like Evans.....check out some other drummers' kits, see what they're playing, see what sounds you like (or don't like).....at any rate, a good set of Remos OR Evans heads will make a huge difference in the sound of that kit....as far as mixing heads, I would not suggest it...kinda like mixing toms, or mixing guitar strings, ya know? Also, if you change the batter heads, it will make a difference, but I would suggest changing the resonant heads as well, and as soon as possible.

And, welcome to DrumChat, and welcome to drumming! (nice kit, too!)
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I reckon batter (top) heads make more difference than resonant (bottom) heads. To tell you the truth, I still haven't changed the stock resonant heads on my Pearl kit, and I think it sounds great.

Another brand of skin to check out is Attack. I've got friends who are mad for them - particularly the Terry Bozzio skins. They're slightly cheaper (in an attempt to get market share), but same quality level.

But yeah, seems to all be about personal taste.

User Info Menu

Im a Remo fan myself

All Remo

Bass Remo Powerstroke 3, Snare Weatherking Controlled Sound Dot, Toms Remo Weatherking Clear
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

export, i would go with a clear 2ply either remo emporors or evans g2. single ply ambasadors or g1 on the bottoms. emporor x on the snare. kicks, i really like the aquarian superkick 2ply.

User Info Menu

Get those batter heads changed out as soon as possible. Resonant heads can wait, but you will be happier once you have changed them. You can also stretch a piece of felt across the inside of the bass drum resonant heads to get them sounding good without replacing them.

As far as brands, it is personal preference, just like everybody else said. I use Remo pinstripes on all my toms (top and bottom), Remo Powerstroke 4 on both my snares batter sides and Remo clears on the resonant sides, and Evans Emad II on the Bass drum batter side with the stock resonant head and EQ ring. I love the sound and so do most of the other drummers that have heard my kit. But, like they say, "to each their own"!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I'm pretty much a Remo man myself too. But I would really like to check out that Evans Bass Drum head with the dampening felts.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I, too, am a huge Remo pinstripe fan. That's all I've used for over 20 years. (If I was to try a different brand, though, I would try Evens.)
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Default I've figured it out...

I'm gonna try those Attack heads. I found a site where they are cheap as hell. For the snare I'm gonna try the Evans E2 reverse dot coated for batter and Attack for snare side. And for the bass and all the toms I'm going Attack. They are cheap enough that if it was a mistake ... my pocket can live with it. The snare is gonna wait cuz I bought a Evans powercenter reverse dot coated batter head today from the music shop. I just couldn't deal with the stock 'ringing' head no more. But I'm such a noob that I still can't get the snare to sound right. I'll have me drum teacher set my snare straight tomorrow at my lesson.

Thanks for all the input. You guys rock. You are really helping to make this painless for me. I'll let you all know how it sounds when I upgrade it all.

User Info Menu

Sounds good Torque, drumchat to the rescue!!

Da-dum-da-dum-da-DAAA
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

Hey torque, nice tubs. Is that the Jordison export kit? I really like his sig snare. As for heads, I like Evans, next time I'm getting the EC2 coateds on my vintage rogers kit, you might like the EC2 clears better. The G2s are good also, but I have other drums with Remo Emperors and even pinstripes. I'm assuming you are going to be hitting hard and playing heavy rock type stuff. So you should probably go with 2 ply heads, to get longer use, which saves you $$. The bottoms will be ok, but eventually you will want to upgrade those also. Factory heads usually are lesser quality, at least on the less expensive kits. The most important thing, tho, is to become a good player. Nice kits and good sounding drums don't mean squat if you aren't any good. Slightly lesser quality gear played by a good drummer is still good drumming. Take lessons if you can, and learn learn learn. Good luck, and welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the group someguyplayingdrum. Great user name!

User Info Menu

Default Pearl 800W Export

To: someguyplayingdrum

I think its basically the same kit but it is not the Jordison one. That one comes with all the fancy graffic front heads (octagon like star patterns). Mine just says Pearl on them.
    When I pulled it out of the box it had a large static sticker on each front bass drum head. On is of Vinnie Paul and the other is of Joey Jordison.

I already have been taking lessons. Half-an-hour a week plus I found this awesome lesson site too I have been using. Its brand new the dood says.

Check it out: www.1234drums.com
    Last edited by Torque; 03-07-2007 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the group someguyplayingdrum. Great user name!
    I agree.

My favourite is still Bear with A Drum though...

LOL that cracked me up

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity