Thread: What happens when you tighten your head uneven. pics

User Info Menu

Default What happens when you tighten your head uneven. pics

Bought these on craigslist and my dad pick them up for me. Unfortunately he didn't know what to look for. As far as I knew they were good. I kept them anyway, to big of a hassel to ship them back. Crazy thing is it still sounds decent with a nuskyn head on it. I've contacted LP to see if they can suggest anything. You would think the reinforcement bar would be welded. I wonder if this would have happened if it was on the opposite side.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What happens when you tighten your head uneven. pics

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Man, I hope someone can suggest a fix. That looks almost painful.

What comes to mind is an inflatable device to "press" it back out. Even if you were to inflate it a little at a time and let it "adjust" to the pressures so it wouldn't split.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Was going to die grind it out and build it back. I'm just worried about it collapsing again unless I get that rod back into place. Done quite a bit of fiberglass work on boats but this is going to be a little different. Maybe I wont do anything, it is nice playing on the hands. I'm curious if LP will give me any good info besides throw it away.

User Info Menu

That would be sweet if they did the repair. I've got an email to them and I said I'd give them pics as well. We'll see what happens. I'm off the next two days from work and have no internet so hopefully they will respond by then. I threw you a private message with that ad on gon bops, they look like it and then again it doesn't.

User Info Menu

This is what LP replied to me.

Ethan,
    I hate to say this, but that is NOT a defect. That is a case neglect and stupidity.That drum was most likely left in an area of high heat while the head was still under tension. I also hate to say that as we do offer a warranty on the drum,that warranty is for the original purchaser, and does not cover neglect.

Looks like I get to attempt a fix.

User Info Menu

I would send it back to get it fixed. It might not cost too much and other than that it doesnt look too bad.Good luck and congrats on the new toys.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks gonefishin. Here's the latest reply from LP

Ethan,
    All of these drums are made over seas. We do not offer any type of repair service.Best advice would be to locate an auto body shop that specializes in fiberglass,but honestly, from your pictures, I don't think it is repairable.
    I hate to say this, but I think you have been taken by whom ever you purchased that
    drum from.

No love from LP. Remind me not to purchase anything from them, just kidding but you would think they would try something. Unrepairable he says, its fiberglass it can be repaired. Still debating on doing a full fiberglass job or just sand down the edge smooth and put the head back on. Still sounded good enough, I just don't want it collapsing anymore. Honestly it looks like this was done by the guy I bought this from, maybe from heat and unfortunately the reinforcement bar slit was at that spot.

User Info Menu

Bummer! I'd say do what you can to repair and make it playable. It would make for a great drum circle/festival/campout drum, something you can take to outside venues and not worry about it getting dirty or knocked around some.

User Info Menu

I'll take some pics when I try something and see how it holds up. I hate doing fiberglass in colder weather though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    Thanks gonefishin. Here's the latest reply from LP

Ethan,
    All of these drums are made over seas. We do not offer any type of repair service.Best advice would be to locate an auto body shop that specializes in fiberglass,but honestly, from your pictures, I don't think it is repairable.
    I hate to say this, but I think you have been taken by whom ever you purchased that
    drum from.

No love from LP. Remind me not to purchase anything from them, just kidding but you would think they would try something. Unrepairable he says, its fiberglass it can be repaired. Still debating on doing a full fiberglass job or just sand down the edge smooth and put the head back on. Still sounded good enough, I just don't want it collapsing anymore. Honestly it looks like this was done by the guy I bought this from, maybe from heat and unfortunately the reinforcement bar slit was at that spot.
    It sounds to me they just are not interested in fixing drums......only selling them.

They are being nice and telling you to find an auto body shop so they dont charge you an arm and a leg they would want to fix it.

Best of luck and post some after pics when you get it done.......still a good drum to have.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What happens when you tighten your head uneven. pics

fishkiller, consider this a lesson on two levels: 1) Watch what you're buyin' and 2) be ready to learn Fiberglass Repair 101 if you can't find a pro to fix your conga!

Many years ago I bought a cheap pair of Japanese fiberglass bongos which, unlike your LP, had absolutely no reinforcement on the bearing edges. I overtightened the hembra head after replacing the (equally) cheap plastic head with a skin head and CRACK! I had a split in the rim and a "dent" in the head. They played okay and sounded funky, but looked like .

At the time, an attendant at the gas station who serviced my car at the time (early '80s) was working on his fiberglass-hulled boat at the time. He offered to fix the split with auto body filler, such as he was using on his boat.

Didn't work. He didn't know what he was doing and I didn't know what kind of repair fiberglass bongos really needed. I used them as a knockaround pair of bongos (figuratively and literally) for several years until I bought my current pair of LPs....
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck