Thread: Roland Td-4 vs Td-9 (both mesh) - ??

User Info Menu

Default Roland Td-4 vs Td-9 (both mesh) - ??

Hi all...

i posted a couple days back re: td-4 with mesh... I'm now considering going with the td-9 (rather than td-4).

i had not realized this, but my current set (simmons sd7k) is larger than the td-4 (compack) and i fear that i will feel like i'm stepping into a "cage" by moving to a smaller (though mesh) kit...

the td-9 is the same basic size (same frame type) as the simmons sd7k (so i woudl retain the same general feel of "range of motion")...

botton line is that i'm uncertain how "flexible" the td-4 is in terms of placement of toms....

tom 1 and 2 seem to fit right in front and it looks like they are not as "adjustable" as the simmons set (and the TD-9)...

since there is a BIG $$$ dif between td-4 (~$1300) and td-9 (~$2600!!!), i just want to make the right choice for the right reasons...

am hoping to get to a shop this weekend to try the td-9 (have only tried the td-4)

?

thoughts...?

- prime

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland Td-4 vs Td-9 (both mesh) - ??

You're approaching serious money now.

Here's an idea. If this kit is basically for home use, then you might...

Buy a TD-9 S/K and play it for a while. $1250

Upgrade to VH-11 hi-hat $400

Upgrade to CY-15 R/C $350 or CY-12 R/C $250

Upgrade 2 mesh toms PD85 $500

Do it at your own pace and affordability

While you're doing this you can re-use the old pads or sell them (ebay)

The CY5 replaced by the VH-11 could become a cowbell or tambourine

The CY8 replaced by the CY15 could become another crash.

The MDS9 rack that comes with the TD-9 is very flexible on placement (except the module mount is on the left bar). I also have a CY-8 mounted on a cymbal stand that works great, so don't think you're limited to rack mount only.

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice....

i'll keep "chewing" on this...

User Info Menu

Hi Primemover

I definitely would be going for the TD-9 module over the TD-4. As jajo said you could start with the basic TD-9 and upgrade to mesh as you go. I have just got a VH-11 and it feels great. For a cheaper alternative you can substitute Yamaha PCY-135 or PCY-155 for ride only difference is you will only get 2 way, bow and bell (edge will sound as bell). I have the 155 and love it.

Kate
    Last edited by Kate Oz; 12-12-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    TD-9KX YAMAHA PCY155!!! 4 toms, Pearl Eliminator Single Pedal, Vex & VDrumLib, Mapex T765A