Thread: Ideas for a hip hop/funk kit?

User Info Menu

Default Ideas for a hip hop/funk kit?

Hey guys

My band (myspace.com/bcok) are getting kinda serious, and as such I'm upgradingmy gear to better suit our new sound.

Can anyone reccomend me a mid-range quality kit (£1000ish) for funk/hip hop, preferably 20" bass, 10", 12" and 14" shallow toms ( like 10x7, 12x8, 14x11 etc).

I currently use Yamaha Stage Custom, so maybe a higher up Yamaha maple kit or something?

Cheers guys!

User Info Menu

i like what ?uestlove does with funk / hip hop. just snare, kick and floor.
    i would go for a huge kick sound. i would want something bigger than the 20x16 i play, like a 24x16. snare sound would be important. i would use 2 snares
    a 14x5 brass, and a 12x6 soprano snare. if it were me i would just have a custom company build me the kick and 16x14 floor, and buy my snares seperate.

User Info Menu

well definately listen to funky

if you want a funk kit funky is the one to talk to
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Dude, your band is really cool. I love the sound you generate. I play funk as well, Paiste PST-3 hats have a funky tone to them.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

FunkyMcstain said what I was going to say. Go with a larger bass drum. You'll thank us for that later. I wouldn't go with anything smaller that a 22X16.
    Go with quality wood. Beyond that "funk" is not in the kit. It's in the tuning and the player.

User Info Menu

By the way... nice band!
    This gig would be fun.