Thread: Please help - e-drums newbie

User Info Menu

Default Please help - e-drums newbie

Ok, I think I need to get an e-set for the house for several reasons. But I have absolutely no clue. Don't know what to buy, upgrade, etc.

USE: Basically, I'd use it for practice during "not allowed" times (neighbor complaining to home association lowered my time too). Also, we are hosting a church worship practice once a month. Currently the e-drums they are using must of cost $20, so I don't need much to stay on par here.

Goals: I'd like something that sounds fairly decent and has upgrade potential. I'm not using it for gigs or anything, so I don't need nor can I afford upper-level stuff---would rather upgrade my acoustic set anyway.

Requirements: Not sure how all this works, but I'd like to have 3 toms, snare, hi-hat, crash and a ride. If this is possible, I'd love 2 crashes and 1 ride--> so I guess 3 cymbal options + hats.

Am I correct in assuming that I can upgrade the brain of the set at any time? Or do you need to buy the pads with the brain?

Also, is buying used generally ok (provided the stuff works and wasn't abused)?

If possible, I'd like to get my feet wet for around $500ish (waiting on a used deal if needed is fine). I just can't justify much more given the use.

Not sure what other info is needed here.

Awaiting comments.

Thanks
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom - black lacquer baby
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste Alpha 20" power ride
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    - Roc n Soc Lunar drum throne w/backrest
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Please help - e-drums newbie

I'd recommend a Yamaha DTXpress IV V2. It comes with 3 toms, (1) snare, (1) kick pad, three cymbals (2 crash, 1 ride - PCY135, PCY155), hihat (RHH135) and hihat stand, drum rack, module, etc...It is a really good e-kit with real sampled drum sounds (oak custom, maple, birch and beech, among others) and it won't break your bank. Most online stores sell it for $1295.

Here's a youtube video of it
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCAQyTPQ7Tw"]YouTube- Athanasios Tsoukas presenting the Yamaha DTXPRESS IV Special[/ame]

User Info Menu

hey.... getting what you want for $500 is going to be tough!

one thing you did not mention is whether or not you want "rubber" or "mesh" heads...

mesh are mroe $$$ but be careful of the rubber ones...

they are NOT as quite as you might think!

i have a simmons sd7k and it is in my home office (which is below my son's bedroom).... once he goes to bed (~9pm)... i'm toast after he goes to bed (he can hear me POUNDING AWAY)...

this, in addition to a few other factors, has made me upgrade (purchase is still pending) to a Roland (prob a td-9SX - indeed, much more than i REALLY need, but i just love the mesh heads!!!)...

User Info Menu

I started looking at older Roland models because of this mesh head thing (even though people say Yamaha has better sounds).

My question is this. Let's say I get an older Roland TD-3 or something. Could I end up buying a TD-4, 6, etc brain and just plugging it in?

I might realistically be able to push up to $700 on my budget.

Also, can I buy a Yamaha DTXpress 3 and upgrade the heads to mesh or is that Roland thing?

As for the sound, the main issue is a neighbor who complained at 3pm when I played for all of 15 minutes. (seriously?) And there was some other times. Basically, they want it whisper quiet when anyone is home there (hope their home sells soon haha).

We have a home association, I can't mess around with the situation too much. So, since my playing window is now fairly small, I'm faced with either blowing up the situation or not playing too much since it's hard for me to stop working to practice in the early afternoon.

Therefore, while mesh seems nice for sound, it's not really a big issue inside of my house. And I'd be more inclined to start with whatever and upgrade to mesh if possible. Not sure if this throws out Yamaha or not.

BTW, I'm going with Yamaha or Roland, nothing else.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Started drumming around middle of October 2009 (technically Nov 2009 after moving). Love Drum Chat!
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but if you're looking at Yamaha you might want to wait a month for whatever big announcement is coming from Winter NAMM. If the DTXPress IV or DTXplorer become obsolete, the current models may drop in price.

You're definitely in a tight price range if you only want Yamaha or Roland. I'm thinking that used may be your best bet if you can only spend $700. Or, take a couple months, exercise some fiscal discipline, and save up!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been looking at used TD-6 models and think that with a little luck and a few extra bones, I can swing one.

Roland seems to be the way to go for the mesh heads and stuff.

Still wondering about upgrading these things though.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by primemover View Post

mesh are mroe $$$ but be careful of the rubber ones...

they are NOT as quite as you might think!

i have a simmons sd7k and it is in my home office (which is below my son's bedroom).... once he goes to bed (~9pm)... i'm toast after he goes to bed (he can hear me POUNDING AWAY)...
    Mesh are not as quiet as you think!...trust me I have them on my kit and they can still be heard downstairs when I play (with the door closed..)..personally I would not get too hung up on absolutely having to have mesh...I've played both and the both have their pluses and minuses....

User Info Menu

I've decided to wait until March (my b-day) and if my budget is a little better, I'm going for the Roland TD-9S V-Tour set.

MF has it for $1,300, so perhaps I'll see a sale or slight discount by then. I like the 9S features and it makes no sense to buy a worse module to save just $200 or so. Being able to practice a lot more and on MY schedule will be more than worth the cash.

I'm sure my quest for mesh head upgrades will begin shortly after.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

The TD-9 S/K is an excellent choice. I have that set with an extra cymbal; so basically the same kit you were describing.

I've only compared kit sounds (briefly) while playing several e-drums at the local Guitar Center. I don't compare them anymore, so I couldn't say any kit sounds better than any other (and I like it that way).

I paid $1249 for my TD-9 S/K at GC.

Don't forget the extras you'll need. Headphones and/or an amp. Another throne and another bass pedal.

My suggestion for a home only amp...try the Alesis transactive mobile PA. Multiple instrument inputs, including stereo for your drums; an iPod dock (with charging); microphone input, and a battery pack. I sometimes take mine out on the deck and turn on the iPod. It was about $200.

User Info Menu

you could convert existing set to electronic for a third of that roundabout
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have a throne already. Can I use any bass pedal or does it need to be special for an e-set?

Got to get the amp, because I don't think my guitar amp will work. Have good headphones if nothing else though.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRed View Post
    I have a throne already. Can I use any bass pedal or does it need to be special for an e-set?

Got to get the amp, because I don't think my guitar amp will work. Have good headphones if nothing else though.
    Your pedal should work just fine. I was thinking about the hassle of moving things back and forth.

Guitar amp is NOT RECOMMENDED. A bass amp with a horn might work OK, but a keyboard or PA amp is the best. There are even e-drum specific amps (pretty expensive).

There are many, many amps to choose from and you can spend a little or a whole lot. The Alesis I mentioned works good for me. You might also look at Simmons (DA50).

But, try playing with headphones first and see what you think.

User Info Menu

Headphones will work just fine initially. I'll keep the amp you talked about in mind too.

Still got a few months to save and plan. Just decided that if I rush it and go cheap with an old model, I'll be mad and end up putting more cash into it anyway.
    - Paiste PST 5 HH
    - Paiste 502 16" crash
    Paiste Posse

User Info Menu

RebelRed,

I have a Roland TD6 and it does the job just fine. I had the same problems with neighbours and initially I bought the kit for practice but I have actually ended up using it for certain gigs.

I have been able to plug in various later release pads and cymbals without a problem. I have found that if the new model is not in the pcik list for trigger types you can find an older model that is similar and the brain handles it.

I have added a later model mesh head bass drum and a later model cymbal so that I have 3 toms, 2 crashes, hats, ride mesh bass and mesh snare. I have however used up all of the ports available at the back of the TD6 brain so if I want to expand any further I will need to upgrade to a higer spec brain.

Being that each pad is dual trigger however you will find yourself using the centre of the cymbal as a crash and the edge as say a splash or china. You get used to playing certain areas of the kit and you end up with a huge variety of sounds all in the form of a 5 piece kit.

The TD6 has over 1000 voices and each can be manipulated an many ways so time is your only enemy. I ended up only really using 6 of the preprogrammed kits and I modified them to suit my needs. This meant that when I played a gig I switch from soul to rock to a powerballad to pop then fun then back to rock at the touch of a finger. It blew me away because If I needed a kit and all the percussion to do the job it would have cost a mint.

The other bonus with electronic drums is that they are easier on your elbows than accoustic. I still love and play my accoustic kit but now I see that both of them serve a purpose and one does not replace the other.

I bought my Td6 and after play it for 2 months I wished I had of bought it years earlier.

As far as mesh pads go I have had no volume issues with them. The rubber pads are slightly louder but if you were in a room with the door closed most people wouldnt know you were playing. I get on the kit at 11pm, 1am anytime I need to let it out and my 2 kids have never been woken up by my playing.

You will not regret getting a hold of the e-kit whether it is Roland or Yamaha

Hope this helps