Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a drum set so bad...

User Info Menu

Default I want a drum set so bad...

I don't have a job as I'm 16 and a drum set is too much money to get for Christmas as it would be well over $1000 unless I buy cheap crap. I just feel the need to get this out...

I WANT A DRUM SET

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want a drum set so bad...

gtrplyr, I feel your frustruation. Just remember that when you are looking for a kit, just get whatever you can afford and start playing. There are plenty of used kits being advertised this time of year. Many of them are in great condition because they were purchased and then weren't used much. Be flexible and the right kit will be there for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    gtrplyr, I feel your frustruation. Just remember that when you are looking for a kit, just get whatever you can afford and start playing. There are plenty of used kits being advertised this time of year. Many of them are in great condition because they were purchased and then weren't used much. Be flexible and the right kit will be there for you.
    I'm a very picky person, the reason I don't want to buy crappy equipment is because when I started playing guitar I had a really crappy unbranded guitar and amp and I was really discouraged to play because of how it sounded and felt in my hands. I just don't want the same thing to happen again which is why I want to start off on an intermediate kit since I know for a fact that I will be drumming for the rest of my life once I start. I'm almost positive that drumming and me were meant to be. I find myself listening more to the drums on my favorite songs rather than the guitar playing like I used to listen for.

I just need to learn to be less picky, what I want right now is the Gretsch Catalina Maple set which is about $700 give or take a few. That would be a great deal if it came with hardware and cymbals . If only the world revolved around me...
    Last edited by gtrplyr; 12-15-2009 at 12:19 PM.

User Info Menu

If the passion to play drums is truly in you, then it doesn't matter if you have a $4,000 Tama Exotic Bubinga or a $200 CB. As long as the drums are not falling apart before your eyes, it's OK to buy less expensive gear if that's all you can afford. But as PB said, check out the used market, as you can get some good kits for much less money.
    Matt

User Info Menu

My first kit and still my favorite kit was bought used for $350.00 us$. The guy I bought it from used the 16x16 FT as table to set drinks on at the end of his sofa couch (end table). The bass drum and toms were store next his sliding glass door and were extemely sun bleached and 13x9 tom is still tough to tune.

Find a used kit. There're so many good deals out there at the usual outlets. I understand your frustration playing on inferior equipment. If I had the cash to burn when I first started playing, I don't think I would appreciate what I have today since I was so cash poor right out of high school and during my first years in college.

My parents supported my music by buying me records but that was the extent of it. They didn't like the noise associated with drums which forced me to buy my own kit when I was ready to move out on my own so my choices were limited due to money and storage.

Next came where to store the drums as I moved from house to house as I tried to find roomates who were ok with living with a drummer. My biggest challenge was trying to keep the drums safely stored. My parents would have nothing to do with the storage of them since they took too much room.

It wasn't until I was married and rented my first home where my drums finally had a pemanent home. Today, my three car garage is stuffed to the gills with two cars and my double bass kit. Storage is no longer an issue. I can keep the kit set up and the garage is at the opposite end of the living quarters so I can play at all hours of the day or night and not distrurb anybody sleeping or watching TV. It took a while to settle my issues of storage, quality of gear and finally a place to play without compromising the rights of others who deserve peace and quite but still allowing me to develop my drumming.

dave0549jv Guest

+ 1 on the used stuff. there are a ton of options out there. you can get a decent set in great shape for half price. Besides, if you get some decent heads on there, and get them tuned up right, even a cheap kit can sound good.

i hear ya on the cheap stuff though. i started out with a REALLY cheap thing. i dont even know what brand it was. It definately was hard to get excited about...

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have the mindset of you want to buy your gear once, and get what's top and proper. All i can say to that is.. You gotta pay your dues. We all gotta start somewhere, im sure many upon many of us will say that we didn't start with the best kit out there. We started with something we could afford at the time, because of our financial limitations. My personal belief is if you start out playing on a high end kit, you wont appreciate it as much because you have not played lower end kits and won't fully appreciate the upgrade in sound.

You gotta earn the right to play on something better, it's a reward of your hardwork and accomplishments in drumming. When you are in a race, you don't start halfway through or at the end; you start at the beginning. If you have the patience, determination, and learn the magic and enjoyment of drumming and are personally vested to take the vast journey to become all you can be- once you become more and more serious, then you can consider upgrading. But for now, you are going to be looking for something entry level, or something used that has what you need to get started. I wish you only the best in your quest!

I am reminded of a story actually, and i'd like to share it with you if I may.. There was a time when I thought "man I really wanna learn how to shred on the guitar!" I was a bit young and unknowledged in the matter, I just wanted to sound the best I possibly could. Now I had just come up on some sizable money, i'm sure you can understand from what i'm about to say(my dad's father was a wealthy man). So I started asking all my friends at school hey man what guitar stuff is sick? I wanna rock! I sounded like an idiot, and I got treated like one. I got no helpful answers, only "dude get a gibson sg and a marshall half stack, shyaa bro." Keep in mind this was early 90s California, Ocean Beach San Diego- long time before blogs were a big thing. I was still playing with pots and pans or whatever I could find for drumming, which is my main focus to this day.

I should have known then and there to invest in drums, but being the irrational young teenager I was I went out and bought a Gibson SG and a Marshall MG100 halfstack, with a monster 20' cable. Yes I had quite the setup indeed, and was sure I would become famous soon, hahaha! Yeah well, I tried playing for awhile and I didn't have a good experience. I was mostly just slapping it with the strumming hand and doing whatever I saw on music videos, so skillwise I didn't get all that far. The reason why, and I can't stress this enough- I bought something for sound, and the sound was so good that after awhile that's all I would focus on; I couldn't play, I never bothered, because I had a killer rig and that's all that mattered.

The moral of my story is simple: entry level intruments have a definite purpose in today's world- they are for people who need an instrument to learn on; don't buy the big boys the first time out as you need to learn as much as you can on a simpler set, and over the years when you have a certain amount of skills or committment to playing drums then it is time to step it up. I hope this has helped you or anyone else in your position, and again I wish you the best as you enter into the world of drumming!
    Last edited by Russ; 12-15-2009 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

gtrplyr, my last set was a Mark II that I bought for $100 out of someone's attic. I changed the heads, bought some hardware, a decent pedal, a decent throne, some Sabian B8s and even cheap soft cases. That investment was made over time, but the point is I had SOMETHING to play. Once I got it setup the way I wanted and learned the ins and outs of tuning, I used the Mark II on several auditions and people remarked that it sounded great. Buy a cheap set and give it some TLC. You will learn how to get the most out of even the worst drums.

In the words of Buddy Rich himself:
    "If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications."

Are you up to the challenge?
    When in doubt, leave it out
    http://www.bandmix.com/rhythmstick

User Info Menu

Check out Gretsch Catalina Maple.
    Best bang for your buck in my opinion.
    WELL UNDER 1000
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

Larrysperf Guest

wait till after xmas as most shops have huge clearence price drops and you might pick up a nice set cheap

User Info Menu

i'll take a cheap set ,over NO SET anyday.. if you say that your going to play drums for the rest of your life,get the cheap set ,,,you'll have plenty of time to upgrade in the future ,your only 16 .. its just my opinion, but if you REALLY want to be a drummer ,and your only 16 . with no job,,, TAKE THE CHEAP SET !!!!

User Info Menu

You did mention you are 16.. One viable solution is to get a job. And with the money you earn, you can put it towards a drum set. And drum sets that are under 1000 dollars are not "cheap crap". There are many drum sets that cost under 1000 dollars that sound extremely good and are a good value. If you go the used route, you save even more money and can get some real quality gear for a lot less.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I have to agree. Used gear is awesome. I got my Tama Starclassic Performer Birch in like new condition for $650. I got my Ludwig Acrolite 1970s snare for $50. I got my Dream Contact Hi Hats for $120 and my Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash (new). That right there is $820. Find then find yourself a used ride and you are set =]
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretsch View Post
    Check out Gretsch Catalina Maple.
    Best bang for your buck in my opinion.
    WELL UNDER 1000
    Not when he has to pay for cymbals, hardware, and taxes (or shipping if he buys online).
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    pastor is right

be patient brother

all set you can aford you better start whith a small set

like 4 piece good then 6 bad

ckeck for used one

and couples of good cymbals that ok to start

get the fell of the drum and enjoy

my 2 cents
    Last edited by Riouel; 12-15-2009 at 04:17 PM.

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

first of all, please do not post links to sales, companies that sell products, advertisements, or other forums.

now, the one i would get EASILY is the last choice on that page. more drums, more cymbals and very good cymbals.(i use them, so i know) essentially all you will ever need is right there, if you like big kit feel and options.
    my second choice, although quite distant would be the second last choice, as the drums are better, although the cymbals aren't up to par, your drums would sound amazing. and many catalina maple owners would testify to that one im sure. they are okay cymbals, but the cymbals you get with the 9piece export kit really put it over the top. i'd definitely get the last one no second guessing about it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

so... i want to know why you want to play....

don't be mad... but its a lot of cash you are looking at...

imo... get the best you can for at least half the money... you need to have a stab at playing before you spend so much. You may decide it is not for you after 3 months.... you may decide it is pretty hard... you might decide WOW THIS IS FOR ME... in which case start collecting birthday money etc etc and then get a better set. I got a really good set for £190 plus extra 80 on a good snare. Its possible but you need to look hard.

The guys here will be able to give you really good advice on a good second hand buy but ultimately you will have to decide if it is good enough condition. They were a huge help to me.
    Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take....but by the moments that take your breath away. Keep on smiling!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    first of all, please do not post links to sales, companies that sell products, advertisements, or other forums.

now, the one i would get EASILY is the last choice on that page. more drums, more cymbals and very good cymbals.(i use them, so i know) essentially all you will ever need is right there, if you like big kit feel and options.
    my second choice, although quite distant would be the second last choice, as the drums are better, although the cymbals aren't up to par, your drums would sound amazing. and many catalina maple owners would testify to that one im sure. they are okay cymbals, but the cymbals you get with the 9piece export kit really put it over the top. i'd definitely get the last one no second guessing about it.
    should i delete the thread? i forgot that craigslist was an advertising site.

those are also the 2 that i am most interested in, though i doubt i would use all of those drums

User Info Menu

Well, never hurts to have them around right? Something I wanna point out is that those cymbals alone are worth the cost of that set, if not more. So you would be saving the cost of eventual cymbal upgrades because you already have great ones and plenty of them it looks like; eventually you might want to upgrade the set from an export to something else- but I think cymbals make or break a set's sound because a drum's sound can be changed with new heads, tuning, dampeners, etc. With the 2nd last choice before it you have less but better drums, and cymbals you will eventually want to replace, so it's kind of a one or the other to me.

Also about the link I would go to the page and try and edit post and take those links off. It's an honest mistake as I gather you are new here, it's just a general caution to avoid in the future but you are able to remove them without a moderator's help this way.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

the m birch is a good set, good double pedal, new heads, 7pc, good cymbals, plenty of hardware for what you're playing on. if it was me it'd be between m birch and exports depending on how big of a kit you want
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'd go with the M Birch. I'd say you will not be able to find a deal much better than that right there.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

the m birch is a good set, good double pedal, new heads, 7pc, good cymbals, plenty of hardware for what you're playing on. if it was me it'd be between m birch and exports depending on how big of a kit you want
    is it still a good deal without the cymbals because it says cymbals not included

User Info Menu

export kit has all three choices beat in that category. you can ask him to include those cymbals though
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

export kit has all three choices beat in that category. you can ask him to include those cymbals though
    i just wish i had $1100 right now because that kit is probably going to be gone fast, for all i know it could already be sold