No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want a drum set so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    better start mowin some lawns then, hehe
    haha you mean mowing some snow?

User Info Menu

you might actually make more doing that. most people who request a plower are gonna pay you pretty fair by the hour. bigger jobs so more money in some cases..

also, one thing you could consider is finding out if you can rent a drumset with everything on it. for this you are gonna wanna start hitting up local shops, or individual drummers you may already know and ask them if they would consider lending it to you when they are not using it(if they are actual drummers, not with the shops), and what it would cost to do it. throughout my time playing, when i was first starting out i tried my best to get to know guys from music stores and anyone around school who was playing in bands, as well as talking to various music teachers- i eventually learned who to ask and how to do it, and it wasn't too bad i usually paid 20-40$ a month for a kit i was interested in, and when i didn't like it anymore or money was getting a little too tight for comfort, i just gave it back. it let me find my sound, see if i was gonna keep at it with drumming in general, it didn't break the bank, i was able to have things i wouldn't have afforded otherwise, and i learned how to take good care of sets because it was my neck on the line if they weren't in good enough condition when i returned them. just my two cents mate
    Last edited by Russ; 12-15-2009 at 07:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Playing on a cheap guitar with poor set-up etc. is a very discouraging thing for sure. You will find this less of a problem with drums since you aren't tryiing to physically push down strings that are too high, etc. Even a cheap drum set can be made to sound passible with the right heads and tuning. Having a decent drumset helps but there are lots of playable decent low end kits out there especially if you look in the used market. Then when you have more cash you can probably unload your used set for close to what you paid for it, and upgrade to a better one.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Playing on a cheap guitar with poor set-up etc. is a very discouraging thing for sure. You will find this less of a problem with drums since you aren't tryiing to physically push down strings that are too high, etc. Even a cheap drum set can be made to sound passible with the right heads and tuning. Having a decent drumset helps but there are lots of playable decent low end kits out there especially if you look in the used market. Then when you have more cash you can probably unload your used set for close to what you paid for it, and upgrade to a better one.
    That's a little more reasuring

User Info Menu

You can get a job at 16 so I advise you to do so if you want to buy a set.. Heck I was working when I was 13, lucky I guess to have gotten the job, but I remember at 16 I was working about 20 hours a week at the Dollar Tree lol. So yes, a lot of minimum wage places will hire you at 16.

Buy used gear and you can end up getting a great set for a great price. I wish my first set I had known to buy used because I could have gotten so much more for less money.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    gtrplyr, I definitely agree with CD on this one. With cheap guitars it is hard to get the right feel, and as you know, finding a neck that is just made for your hand is an amazing moment. Cheap guitars rarely give you that moment. Drums, on the other hand, are more about tonal choices - which heads to buy to get the sound you want (vs. which amp to buy when you are a buying for your guitar). Heads come in coated (warmer) vs. uncoated (brighter), single ply (open sounding) vs. 2 ply (more controlled sound) vs. heads with control rings that muffle the overtones. Be sure and start checking the websites of the head mfanufacturers to get some ideas of what you might want, and be sure to ask the folks around here for their opinions. The only things you have to worry about concerning feel, is whether the drumstick should be a 2B, a 5B, a 5A, or a 7A - and that is all about what feels good in your hand as you begin.

Hang in there, and keep asking questions, or even to express your frustration, because we're here for you - mainly because people here have been right where you are now. We understand!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

if you can find a new set of mapex qr or q series the now called meridian you will save some cash bigtime

User Info Menu

You have to start somewhere.....as PB already suggested there are some good used intermediate sets that you can find for under 1000 wth cymbals.

Best of luck in the search.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

If you're a beginner I recommend you buy cheap stuff. If you're good and you need a drumset that goes with your skills. I say you should buy Tama Imperialstar which are really good and you can get them on some sites for 700$ with cymbals. Or just go to Ebay and look for something that fits with what you need.
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

You might also consider a basic e-drum kit like the Yamaha DTXplorer (around $600).. or even the Yamaha DD-65($219.). I use an HQ practice pad and a pair of Hansenfutz pedal trainers quite a bit and I own two electronic and three acoustic kits... so there's always options. If the budget is really low... there's bucket drums.
    Last edited by davewilson; 12-16-2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    If you're a beginner I recommend you buy cheap stuff. If you're good and you need a drumset that goes with your skills. I say you should buy Tama Imperialstar which are really good and you can get them on some sites for 700$ with cymbals. Or just go to Ebay and look for something that fits with what you need.
    I agree.. the Imperialstar kit is well made and the Meinl HCS cymbals that come with it are pretty darn good for beginners

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    if you can find a new set of mapex qr or q series the now called meridian you will save some cash bigtime
    Actually the Meridian line is replacing the Pro-M and M-Birch series.

User Info Menu

Default $1000.00??? I Spent $389.00

I bought my first kit a Ludwig Accent 5 piece. I paid $420.00 total with tax on an installment plan from Z sounds.

Other than the Sabian B-8's I have on there (Which will hopefull go sometime soon) I couldn't be more impressed with my kit.

I put a set of Evans EC2 clear batter heads with Evans E-rings. I still have the stock resonant heads and I love the sound it gets.

With propper tunning even a less expensive kit will sound pretty good especialy if you buy from a Drum company thats been around awhile.

I will even go as far as to say I personaly think my kit sounds better than some of the more expensive kits I have heard.

I'am not saying its the best but I would feel very confident putting it up on a stage.

I think for a first kit unless you have the money to spend any kit from a good drum co. Should do fine. Usualy, the starter kits I have seen runn from 350.00 to about 600.00 bucks