Thread: Adding electronic drums to an acoustic kit

User Info Menu

Default Adding electronic drums to an acoustic kit

So today my son asked me about combining the electronic kit with his acoustic kit. The electronic kit is an older Yamaha DTXplorer or Xpress, forget which. It has a different brain than any of the current models, but the pads of the current Xplorer, and has the Yamaha rack, and the Yamaha PA system for it as well.

So my question is what is the best way to go about this? We're looking to just add maybe 2 or 3 pads and the cymbals to give cool accent sounds. I'm just not sure how I can mount the pads with the acoustic kit since they aren't normal drum mounts.

Any input would be welcome, but I'm hoping to not really spend much money on the project.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Adding electronic drums to an acoustic kit

Is a cool idea. Check out Akira Jimbo... he has a set up like this. I've seen him perform live and it sounds awesome.
    Not sure how you would go about it though...
    I've got a DTXpress so I know what kinda frame your dealing with. Maybe have part of the frame to the right side of the acoustic kit or left? To angle-grind the frame is another idea but don't think you will be willing to do that...
    Or you can get some old snare drum stands and mount the pads individually on them. That will work.
    If you can't find any info on this thread you could go to drum stores and ask for suggestions. All the best with the project mate!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response. I'm actually thinking that just buying some pads I can mount normally and using them with the brain we have might be the easiest solution, even if not the cheapest.

Will have to look into used stuff.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Good thinking...