Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal for my first kit?

User Info Menu

Default Good deal for my first kit?

here is what he is selling:

Pearl Export:

- 2 22" Bass drums (Remo Powerstroke Heads)
    - 6 Toms: 8", 10", 12", 13", 16", 18" (Evans Blue Hydraulic Heads)
    - 14" Snare
    - Vintage Ludwig Metal Snare

- 22" Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride
    - 17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    - 16" Sabian AA Crash
    - 14" Zildjian A Custom MasterSound Hi Hats
    - 18" Zildijian A China
    - 10" Zildjian A Splash

- 2 Tama Pedals
    - All hardware included including cymbal stands
    - Roc-N-Soc Hydraulic Stool

He has it priced at $1100, should I go for it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good deal for my first kit?

2 snares, 4 rack toms, 2 floor toms, 2 bass drums, good cymbals, roc n soc, tama pedals, im sorry but this set is full of epic win. im amazed he isn't asking twice that.. only thing id do is eventually change the tom heads, but they are good condition and will work for quite awhile. i'm trying to think, but i can't see any bad points about a set like that for a first kit. try and haggle if you can, but nothing too low as he will turn away from you if you lowball him. ask him what he can do because of the financial situation you are in. if you find that you can't get the set(unfortunately) then i would give the mapex a shot if they come with cymbals, and if they don't maybe the gretsch would be a better fit. you might think too many drums at first, but it grows on you for sure.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Not a bad set up, some nice cymbals! I'd probably offer him a bit less, say $900 cash. It's a older kit and so is most of the hardware.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

great deal ,,thats 1,000 dollars worth of cymbals.. if you can afford it,buy it ....... thats a way good starter set ... good luck ,hope you get it . and if you dont, theres plenty of other sets out there ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Not a bad set up, some nice cymbals! I'd probably offer him a bit less, say $900 cash. It's a older kit and so is most of the hardware.
    12 years old to be exact

i will haggle him thats for sure, im probably gonna go sit behind it on saturday and try it out to see if i like the sound

User Info Menu

All I can say is WOW that looks nice for your first set.

I say if you like it and can affoed it then make him an offer........Good luck, keep us posted.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

It's gotta be older then 12 years. My friend had a 97' Export and it had the lugs that go all the way down the drum. That kit looks like it's from the early 90's if not even the 80's.

It's a good deal. As mentioned before, the cymbal setup is worth almost $1000.

That snare is a ludwig Arcolite btw.

User Info Menu

don't get thrown off if the set sounds a little dead. hydraulics are heads that make drums get a thuddish sound; if they sound bad you can always get some different heads later, but that's actually a good deal for what he's selling
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I agree with Russ. That set is full of epic win. Go for it definitely. You're going to hard pressed to find another deal like that.
    Matt

User Info Menu

its a good deal..

but i think you will have a much better learning experience on a new 5 piece

i would get it just for the cymbals, the throne and the snare

User Info Menu

I agree with Russ and Yohin. Epic Win!

If you can afford it, go for it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Like Exotic Matter said if that set is early 80's or even 90's and in that good of shape you could play it for a few years and have a classic vintage set on your hands. The cymbals are top notch and look good in the pics.
    I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven if I got something like that for my first set. Just be sure you want a double bass set and as large a set as that is. You could probably get something smaller and better or newer or older for that money but that's something you have to decide.
    Your not going to go wrong on that deal though. You could always keep the cymbals and re-sell the drums.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

if you have a hard time playing so many, you can always break it down. But with a smaller set you can never add the drums on and figure out which config you like best, you would have to buy other drums seperate. it's a slam dunk
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

All in all it looks like you are getting a lot of set/cymbals for the money.

From the pictures, I would take a hard look at the floor tom. It looks like there is only one leg and the drum is physically upside down. I'd be a bit concerned about its actual condition.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It seems like a good price. You need to remember that this kit and these cymbals are highly customized to the seller's liking. They are great cymbals, but you may find they are not the ones you like the sound of. Drum equipment is all about finding the sounds YOU like, not someone else who is selling a kit just because it is cheap. Granted you could probably make some decent resale value off the cymabls if you decide you don't like them. Hope it all goes well!

I agree with everyone who is saying a smart thing to do would be to break the kit down and learn on a smaller kit thus driving your creativity and technique up.

Those pictures were dated August 20 of this year. Are you sure it is still available and in the same condition?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    break the kit down and learn on a smaller kit thus driving your creativity and technique up.
    I agree with this completely. To sit down at the kit as it is in the picture would be so overwhelming and totally OTT IMHO. I am not saying don't get it, I am saying KISS if you do. Your drumming ability will be better in the long run.

Kate
    TD-9KX YAMAHA PCY155!!! 4 toms, Pearl Eliminator Single Pedal, Vex & VDrumLib, Mapex T765A

User Info Menu

I'm an avid craigslister, and that I say get it now, there will be guys like me that will pounce on that opportunity to flip a quick buck. I love a good drum set, so get it and clean it up a bit, throw some new heads on and you will have yourself a kit that will last you quite a long time.
    Also with all those toms you can experiment to see if you like more or less, that's a plus.
    Again...GET THAT JUNK NOW!!!!!
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Oz View Post
    I agree with this completely. To sit down at the kit as it is in the picture would be so overwhelming and totally OTT IMHO. I am not saying don't get it, I am saying KISS if you do. Your drumming ability will be better in the long run.

Kate
    I had my kit set up as a 4-piece for 8 months, when I went back to 5-piece, I seem to never use the second rack tom and I feel my creativity suffered.

But hey, to each their own
    - Zack

dave0549jv Guest

i went for the exports as a first decent kit, and i've been very happy with them. As everyone else says, the cymbals alone are worth the asking price. This kit would give you a lot of options, and would allow you to play around with different setups to find what works best for you. you dont have to use the whole thing, but you can if you want to.

My vote... Win!

User Info Menu

gtrplyr, I agree that this could a good deal for you. As others pointed out, the cymbals are worth the money, and they appear to be in good shape. Check the cymbals for wear - specifically keyholing - and it will tell you something about how he cared for the kit. Also, Bish's sharp-eyed observation about the floor tom in the pic is important. Really check out the floor tom, and have him remove the heads and show you the bearing edges of the tom. Again, it might tell you a lot about the rest of the kit.

The key here is that the overall kit seems to be undervalued, so just make sure that there isn't a reason for that. Sometimes sellers will try to dazzle you with something in order to keep you from noticing something else. Don't get caught up in the emotion of the moment, so that you can keep your eys and ears open to find out the truth about this kit. It just might be a great seller looking to make a young drummer happy - they are out there. Your job is to make sure it's not the other guy - the one looking to take advantage. As others have said, you can always make a larger kit into a smaller kit by removing drums from the set up, and stacking them in a corner until you need them.

Enjoy check out the kit, and keep you eyes and ears open. If you're not sure you can evaluate the kit well enough, just find someone who can to go with you. Don't worry if this turns out no to be your kit, because looking at this one will only help you to evaluate others - and there are plenty of others. If it is the kit you've been looking for, then all the best to you as you play your first kit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hey is there anyway you can go and look at it, take some pictures then post them up here? if so, make sure you get multiple angles and closeups of things or else shoot a video and one of us can tell you if we notice anything. just a suggestion..
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It's a great deal. If you want to try to talk him down, you could always point out the less than desirable pedals on the kicks. That said, don't lowball it too much. It's allready like buying the cymbals and getting the drums for free.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    hey is there anyway you can go and look at it, take some pictures then post them up here? if so, make sure you get multiple angles and closeups of things or else shoot a video and one of us can tell you if we notice anything. just a suggestion..
    i can probably ask for more pictures, ill make sure to ask for pictures of that floor tom too because i have no idea what you guys are talking about and you can take a look at it for me.

what are things i should look for if i go check it out? im gonna make a checklist of things to check out

User Info Menu

anytime i buy a set, when im in a shop or to an individual seller the things i am most interested in..

1) condition of drumheads
    2) bearing edges, flaws in shells/finish/shell hardware
    3) if any are present, the condition of cymbals- scratches, cracks, keyholing, flaws in finish, age, dirt/clean ratio, overall damage or non-damage
    4) the condition of pedals, hi hat stands, cymbal stands; when it comes to this you are looking for rust, breaking, cracks, or anything that could be slowing them down
    5) check the bass hoops/spurs/floortom supports for any heavy scratching, damage, warping, cracks, etc.

it's an old set so you are gonna want to eventually replace the heads, but that isn't highest priority at the moment. you should get a chance to play it and see how it feels, and any flaws you find on it you can call him on and get a price drop. i'd still get it though, worst case scenario you have to fix a few things inexpensively and later on you could restore it.(quite a few people like to restore old drums like that) for now though you are just making sure it feels good playing it, and it is in good working condition(it looks very very playable to me)
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    anytime i buy a set, when im in a shop or to an individual seller the things i am most interested in..

1) condition of drumheads
    2) bearing edges, flaws in shells/finish/shell hardware
    3) if any are present, the condition of cymbals- scratches, cracks, keyholing, flaws in finish, age, dirt/clean ratio, overall damage or non-damage
    4) the condition of pedals, hi hat stands, cymbal stands; when it comes to this you are looking for rust, breaking, cracks, or anything that could be slowing them down
    5) check the bass hoops/spurs/floortom supports for any heavy scratching, damage, warping, cracks, etc.

it's an old set so you are gonna want to eventually replace the heads, but that isn't highest priority at the moment. you should get a chance to play it and see how it feels, and any flaws you find on it you can call him on and get a price drop. i'd still get it though, worst case scenario you have to fix a few things inexpensively and later on you could restore it.(quite a few people like to restore old drums like that) for now though you are just making sure it feels good playing it, and it is in good working condition(it looks very very playable to me)

im new to some of these terms such as bearing edges, bass hoops, and spurs. could you explain these to me?