Thread: Vater vs VicFirth

User Info Menu

Default Vater vs VicFirth

Ok so the similarities are that they are wooden drum sticks, are great brands and both start with a 'V'.

So why do you play with one brand from the other?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vater vs VicFirth

i dont use either,but i'll say that i go with whatever feels best in my hands.

User Info Menu

These are actually my two favorite brands of drumstick and I alternate between the two. I use a Vater 5A and a Vic Firth 5B because I find them to be perfect size and weight for me as well as being incredibly durable.

Vic Firth 5A are a little too lightweight for my tastes, which is why I prefer the slightly heavier-feeling Vater 5A. But then the Vater 5B is too heavy, which is why I like the Vic Firth 5B; it feels similar in weight to the Vater 5A but is a bit thicker.

Both brands are excellent and you can't go wrong with either one.

User Info Menu

I prefer Vater. I've had my 5B pair for 3 weeks now and they only just started splintering. Those things are as solid as a rock! I had a Vic Firth pair (5B) but I find Vater to be a lot more durable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I like 7As, the brand makes no difference. I use Vater, Vic Firth, and Pro Mark in the same size and can tell no difference between the brands.

User Info Menu

I use Vater. Mainly just because that's what I've always used and I've never had any problems with them. I use 5A's, and I've only broken like 2 or 3 pairs in 3 1/2 years of drumming.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I've been using Vic Firth for well over 20 years. About 3 weeks ago, Guitar Center had a sale on Vater sticks, they were something like $2.35 a pair, so I bought 3 pair! I'm really liking them... I would buy more!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

My sticks of choice are the VF Weckl model (the burgandy finish). They make me play just like him! (ok, not so much...) They are very solid. My second choice is the VF Gadd model (black finish). They are a little shorter than the Weckls (they are equally able to make me play like Weckl however...). I also use the Erskine model with the really small tips for light volume situations. Vaters are nice too though. Price is always a factor...
    Last edited by xsabers; 12-17-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: 'Cuz I wanted to...

User Info Menu

I use vater because they are the most durable wooden sticks I have come across.