Thread: New Here

User Info Menu

Default New Here

Hello all,

My name is Mike. 36 year old father to 2 girls (ages 13 and 2). I finally decided to pursue my interest in the drums so I bought a Yamaha Stage Custom from Guitar center (5 piece), Zildian ZXT cymbals, and Tama hardware (middle of the road but sturdy). I also picked up a Mapex Kung Fu edition Snare on ebay (got a great deal so I had to get it) just to see the differences between wood and stainless steel.

I am taking lessons with a local guy who has a masters in Music from U of M. Took my first lesson with him this week and we started with proper grip. It makes a difference and more than I would have thought. I was holding a lot of tension on the stick and he showed me how to hold it properly and allow my hand and arms to relax. We are working on free rebound (that is my homework) along with some basic eigth note paradiddles to doubles to singles and back on the snare.

If nothing else this is terrific stress relief

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Here

Mike! welcome to the DC! you will find worlds of information here, not just useless chat, but productive information, and don't forget the lessons part of this site!, are you a Michigan man as is your teacher? Keep on practicing and have a ball!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Welcome !! If I was just starting being right handed I would play the HH with My left hand ! I play cross stick and think it is better to play stright so just a thought for You Mike.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Yep I am in Michigan and he is a Michigan grad I am trying to learn to play with the left on the HH and the "traditional" way as well. I just got the set set up in its permanent place in the basement. I had it set up in the living room for a week. I set it up more how I want it and I can get to things easier now.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Neonebula!

There is nothing more fun - and more frustrating - than beginning that journey we all call drumming! Sounds like your teacher is starting you out in the right way so you won't have to unlearn any bad habits like I did.

Make sure you post a pic of your kit on the "Show Us You Drums" thread.http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ms-26p246.html Then you can head over to the "Newbie Initiation" thread and have some fun with that (just follow the directions on the first post) http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-1699.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neonebula2001 View Post
    Yep I am in Michigan and he is a Michigan grad I am trying to learn to play with the left on the HH and the "traditional" way as well. I just got the set set up in its permanent place in the basement. I had it set up in the living room for a week. I set it up more how I want it and I can get to things easier now.
    Hey Mike, I too am from Michigan...been gone for about 16years now..alot of old Jazz drummers used the left hand on hats as well.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The left hand on the HH is pretty weird and it throws unless I go really slow and count it. I want to learn how to do it but I am way more comfortable with the Right hand on the HH.

I am happy with the way my teacher teaches. I get the kit and he sets up a floor tom with a pedal, HH, and snare which he said are the basic pieces of any drum set and the ones that are played the most.

Here is his website http://www.dpbeats.com/ (the way I found him when searching for a teacher) that details his experience. The thing that is cool is I did not feel dumb when we started. He is super relaxed amd encouraging.