Thread: I need help!

User Info Menu

Default I need help!

With my left hand with a traditional grip, yes im right handed, so its the flipped over hand

Now is this normal, the drum instructor usually grips his sticks tight, and shows a flinging of the wrist from side to side, well i just set mine on my fingers, get a very light spin going, and use my fingers mainly, well im not very good yet

Does anyone know a practice that would help me with my left hand? like make it stronger and better

User Info Menu

I'll help if I can but I need more to go on. How long have you been playing? What style of music do you play? How experienced is your instructor? Who was buried in Grant's tomb?

Wait... scratch that last one.

User Info Menu

Lol, im working on it for drumline, and ive been playing for about 3 years now, im a rocker, and my instructor is the band director at teh highschool im going too

User Info Menu

Band director huh? Well that explains why his left hand is tight. lol
    Most band directors don't make good drum teachers. Sorry, but its the truth.
    This is not to insult him. They can teach the basics of every instrument in there. That's their job. But when it comes to specifics, they often come up short. I know this because I taught their students for many years. You would be amazed at some of the things I saw!

First off, take a few private lessons from a qualified "drummer" in your area and get all these grip issues down pat. This way you can avoid many mistakes along the way. Check their references and make sure they're good. Ask other kids who they study with and how it's helped them.

Secondly, most of your control starting out should be from the wrist, not the fingers. You have it backwards. Finger control comes later as a subtlety (sp?) to help overall stick control. The movement should be an up and down motion, not side by side.

User Info Menu

You may want to check out a DVD called Moelleer Method Secrets. I just bought it and it has really helped out with my technique. Also, there is a whole chapter on how to hold a drum stick properly. I have heard people say, "if it works for you then go for it." but I think there comes a point when a little technique can help out anyone. Good luck...

User Info Menu

I say do what ever feels right. theres no "currect" way to hold the stick, its pretty much what ever you can drum with best. get a feel for whats comfterable and play. i hate how school band and all and private teachers tell you specific drum handling technuiqes that they make you learn. You dont need a teacher to play drums. you need comfidence.