Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Advice On Drum Restoration

I'd stay away from Urethane. It's basically plastic. Lacquer is organic and more suited to musical instruments....guitars, drums, violins....anything that resonates. As lacquer cures, it gets harder and the sound just keeps improving. Urethane tends to produce a "dull plastic" sound compared to lacquer. Organic materials are more pleasing to the human ear. Deft makes a great clear lacquer spray in cans that sprays nice and doesn't react negatively to other products.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

As far as the heat thing; try putting the shells in your car, roll up the windows and park it in the sun for a few hours. I found it works better than a heat gun...probably because the entire shell, wrap and glue gets heated up. With a heat gun, only the area under the gun gets heat and the heat energy gets absorbed or dissipated by the cooler area around it. I had a real bear of a time stripping the original wrap off my 28" Ludwig bass drum. I finally stuck it in back of my pickup (with a topper) and parked it in the summer sun all afternoon. When I went out and opened up the lift gate, it was like an oven in there. I literally peeled the remaining wrap off with my bare hands in a few minutes. Which is exactly why you NEVER leave your dog locked up in your car!

Also, "Goo-Gone" works wonders to remove glue, its safe to use and available at Walmart in big pump spray bottles.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'd stay away from Urethane. It's basically plastic. Lacquer is organic and more suited to musical instruments....guitars, drums, violins....anything that resonates. As lacquer cures, it gets harder and the sound just keeps improving. Urethane tends to produce a "dull plastic" sound compared to lacquer. Organic materials are more pleasing to the human ear. Deft makes a great clear lacquer spray in cans that sprays nice and doesn't react negatively to other products.
    As far as the heat thing; try putting the shells in your car, roll up the windows and park it in the sun for a few hours. I found it works better than a heat gun...probably because the entire shell, wrap and glue gets heated up. With a heat gun, only the area under the gun gets heat and the heat energy gets absorbed or dissipated by the cooler area around it. I had a real bear of a time stripping the original wrap off my 28" Ludwig bass drum. I finally stuck it in back of my pickup (with a topper) and parked it in the summer sun all afternoon. When I went out and opened up the lift gate, it was like an oven in there. I literally peeled the remaining wrap off with my bare hands in a few minutes. Which is exactly why you NEVER leave your dog locked up in your car!

Also, "Goo-Gone" works wonders to remove glue, its safe to use and available at Walmart in big pump spray bottles.
    Thanks so much for this Brian! I'll look for the lacquer in the spray can and see if I have the means to spray the shells again. I'll stick the shells in the back of our truck. It has a camper shell and the bed-liner is plastic so I'm sure it will heat up really good back there. The heat gun didn't do anything but make me sweat. You've given me some motivation to get this done. Thanks!

User Info Menu

placing it in the car on a hot day is a great idea. Never thought about that but definitely well thought out.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread up for an update. After thinking about my options for this kit, I decided to re-order the wrap for the 13x9 rack tom I botched and I'm leaving the wrap on the other two pieces of the kit alone. I've been working with a upstart, "one man band" custom drum and custom wrap company out of San Antonio TX, I guy I met on a drum forum on FB. He did a great job on the first wrap order but when I received the wrap for the 13x9, the grain orientation was wrong (sigh).

Instead of a "barber pole" look, the new wrap's grain orientation runs across the shell on a horizontal plane. I got a hold of the builder, and showed him this pic and now I'm waiting for the re-order to show up so I can finally put this nightmare behind me.

D88B0488-0A3D-4950-9A6A-9E3F33FD2487_zpsjxyixjav.jpg

Here's how I left the 13x9 and it didn't surprise me that it still sounds awesome for a 50+ year old aged shell. I think I actually have it mount upside down lol!

3B05CAC3-67DF-48DA-841C-BBB6C821B2BA_zpskjvt32uo.jpg

ED55CF91-DF10-457B-8832-8F2D88DC96B1_zpsnvdyqx4w.jpg

Here's how I got this kit configured while I await the new wrap: 8", 10", 16" rotos, 5.5x14" Pork Pie Pig Lite Acrylic snare, 16x22 and 16x16".

91369FDB-240F-4828-82A3-333860790DFF_zpszkr72wgj.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 12-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

gotta love that Pork Pie

User Info Menu

Reminds me of Bill Bruford!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    gotta love that Pork Pie
    Spaz, I really like this snare. I was a little leery about the G2 clear batter but I'm sold on the sound a clear head over a acrylic shell produces. It's punchy tone!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Reminds me of Bill Bruford!
    Thanks Mike! I got this pic sent to me last night with a note saying the original graphic artist was no longer with the company so this was the best reproduction of the original art work they could come up with. Again, just another bump in the road to get this project finished.

7EE5E1DA-8DED-4B69-AB98-EF98D1E4D831_zps5kco62xa.jpg

User Info Menu

The new wrap came in on Friday so I stripped off what was left of the old wrap and just used tape instead of glue because I wasn’t to sure if it was going to match and it doesn’t even come close. I’ll leave for now but next summer I’m going to remove all of the wrap and leave it naked.

9F465DCD-FE6E-4707-8A8C-C2B7F7421DCC.jpg

7C1CD6DA-F18A-48C6-8426-721F43C74101.jpg

D0C3AC74-ADA4-4F2C-8DDB-28EB0D35BCC0.jpg

C11E8307-05F5-4B14-99B6-71FE405F1526.jpg

User Info Menu

Last edited by late8; 12-24-2017 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. Sorry to hear that. You just seem to have an outstanding run of bad luck with that old kit. On the positive side, I bet it sounds great, regardless of how it's wrapped!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Wow. Sorry to hear that. You just seem to have an outstanding run of bad luck with that old kit. On the positive side, I bet it sounds great, regardless of how it's wrapped!
    Brian, I took the kit into my buddy's home recording studio last night and I was blown away by the fullness of the tone coming from the toms and the thump of the kick. After 5 months of recording with the DW kit, listening to the 3 ply shells made me realize how lucky I am to have kept this kit for such a long time.

User Info Menu

There's some folks not too far from Lodi down in Discovery Bay that might be able to fix some of your issues with cracks and edges.

https://ctdrums.wordpress.com/contact-us/

You might want to give them a call.

That glue is contact cement,and the only way I know to clean it is with a putty knife and hot air gun.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    There's some folks not too far from Lodi down in Discovery Bay that might be able to fix some of your issues with cracks and edges.

https://ctdrums.wordpress.com/contact-us/

You might want to give them a call.

That glue is contact cement,and the only way I know to clean it is with a putty knife and hot air gun.
    Thank you very much! I appreciate it!