Thread: Trio gon bops

User Info Menu

Default Trio gon bops

Been debating on getting one of these guys. He's going to split them up instead of selling them for the trio. Kind of want a matching mahogony but man these drums are hard to come by. I think I am going to wait it out though. I love playing on 3 drums. Playing the gon pair with a 3rd fiberglass isn't the same. And I thought my fishing was an obsession.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Trio gon bops

Can't blame ya...any conga man who's ever played three finds it tough to go back to two...and you're not alone in learning that drumming--especially hand drumming--becomes one major obsession!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trio gon bops

I don't blame you a bit FK. Hey, it's all about the tone!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thats a nice set, I helped that seller price them out on a different forum. The oak will pair ok with the mahogany, definitely better than the fiber LP. However, if you were to buy a single oak drum, I see a search for a second oak in your very near future. You will just have to have it . Gon Bops pop up as singles much more frequently than sets, so you shouldn't have to hold out too long before a matching mahogany comes around. One of the bigger tumbas, 12.5 or 13.5, may be a long wait though. Keep in mind, old gon bops rarely still have the tags on them, so a lot of people don't know what they have, so remember to dumb down your searches "old conga" "old congo" "tall bongo", etc. I've found quite a few GBs for $50-$100 because people don't know what they are.

User Info Menu

Oh man didn't think of that, old conga or congo lol. I figured you guys have to obsessed too other wise you wouldn't be here on the forums. Learned alot here glad you are all here. The search continues.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Trio gon bops

FK, you'd be amazed how many people--even some who call themselves drummers--don't know the difference between bongos and congas. Some believe the word "congas" covers all hand drums regardless of size, shape, material or use.

(Might have to do a little probing in my neck of the woods for a "tall bongo." There could be a Gon Bops with my name on it out there! )
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey BongoBro, up here bongo seems to be the generic name for anything played with by hand. Even kit drummers call my congas bongos.

User Info Menu

I have been looking for a Oak Quinto like that. It matches my Gon Bops perfectly. Has the middle wood ring just like mine. Perfect match. What size quinto andh how much is this guy asking for it??
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

PM sent vibes. I don't know if it would get erased here on the thread if posted. Everyone I know that see my drums call them bongos.

User Info Menu

I spent half of my stash money on xmas, have to wait untill after the holidays. I could pick up one but then I'm on the search for a matching set.

User Info Menu

bongobro, bongobill, here in arkansas everything is a bongo, so at work my nickname is bongo, i go by bongowillie at festivals and events, i got tired of explaining to everybody no these are not bongos but congas, and they would say oh congos..

User Info Menu

Hey Willie55,
    That is the same reason I am called BongoBill--I seldom play the bongos.