Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you use double bass?

User Info Menu

Arrow do you use double bass?

me, i use double bass because it sounds good and it sounds grate with a drums solo.

User Info Menu

Nop

User Info Menu

I sort of regret using double bass because now I feel like everytime I should practice something on a single pedal, I say "screw it" and use my double instead, which limits my hi hat usage. But I do love it and it makes everything sound sweet in a solo like you said.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I use my double bass when needed...and probably a lot more than that. I've actually started training myself to play a double bass fill while having the hi-hat closed, not as hard as it looks.
    Last edited by Roger; 08-17-2007 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

I only play single pedal. I think DB is WAY overused by a lot of drummer. Also not getting a DB pedal makes you less lazy and you push your feet more individualaly. Also some drummers seem to have the impresion that things sound more "powerfull" and "epic" if you do 16ths with your feet all song. LESS IS MORE!

Rant over, thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

agreed

User Info Menu

I second that agreement.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

but double bass is good for those really fast speeds that you cant achieve on a single pedal, the trick is balancing yourself between using single and double pedal, instead of using double for everything.

User Info Menu

Yes I saw Steve Smith and Thomas Lang use the twin pedals and went and bought some and love using them.

Shazane Guest

I disagree that a single pedal can possibly sound more epic, but it is important to use both methods. George Kollias often plays blast beats with one foot, so no , people who are really good at double bass aren't necessarily bad with only one foot, in fact by building up the kind of speed with one foot you can reach inconceivable speed with two.

I think every drummer should have a double bass pedal anyway, it just makes your set so much more versatile. As for the hihat, well I usually have it set at one height or have it closed and play the hihat where I'd want it closed and the ride where I'd want it open so i can use the double bass throughout, but in one of our songs I play a fill that requires two hands over a rhythm that requires the hihat so I have to use the hihat pedal and make up for it with single foot rudiments, but other parts of the song require me to play a consistent double bass or triplets on the bass (which I always play with two feet, I just think it sounds better), so I keep rhythm on the ride. My point is I really dont think the double bass interferes with the hihat too much.

User Info Menu

I just recently got a double bass pedal and I practice with it but don't actually use it in songs much, only when I think it will be tasteful.

User Info Menu

I don't have a double bass pedal :(
    But i have a single DW 7000 and love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by george007 View Post
    I don't have a double bass pedal :(
    But i have a single DW 7000 and love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Eons View Post
    I just recently got a double bass pedal and I practice with it but don't actually use it in songs much, only when I think it will be tasteful.
    Eons, I was thinking of doing that, but i wasnt sure if Id stick to that commitment, Im to scard ill be using double bass to much, but your doing it so it mustn't be that hard, how long be been playing man?

george, nice single pedal, I was A DW 5000, Id LOVE to have a good single pedal under neither my foot.

User Info Menu

i wish i had one
    maybe a dw 9000 accelerator
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

It's kinda hard to say how long I've been playing since I played awhile back, stopped for awhile then I picked it up again about a year ago. But yeah, I don't know, I don't get that tempted to use it actually guess its just not my style. I've been learning out of a couple different jazz books for the past couple of months at least, none of which had any double bass in so maybe that contributes to why. Before I got a double bass pedal I could play doubles and triples on my single though. Also just keeping time with my left foot on the high hat I believe has made it a bit easier for me to keep a steady beat going with my double bass pedal so far... so you always practice that if you don't have one yet.

Also though I may not use mine a lot but I still believe as a drummer anything you can do with your hands you should be a able to do with your feet. So not having a double bass pedal is just limiting your possibilities imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons View Post
    Also though I may not use mine a lot but I still believe as a drummer anything you can do with your hands you should be a able to do with your feet. So not having a double bass pedal is just limiting your possibilities imo.
    Main reason I bought my first double pedal.

User Info Menu

I don't but I'm planning to get a double pedal
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

yea thats why I kinda wanna get one, I don't wanna be one of those "DOUBLE PEDAL IS CHEATING AND SINGLE IS MORE TALENTED" I mean you can still use single pedal the majority of the time, just use double when you need to, not when your ego needs to, when you really need it and the music calls for it. also, double pedal is hard... iv tried it.

User Info Menu

I have a real pet hate for drummers that feel they are the greatest in the world because they can play super fast on their double pedal for ages. In my opinion it sounds awful, yes I do own a double pedal, but rarely use it for long periods of time, mostly for adding interesting 'bits' onto fills, accents etc.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

I don't use the double bass pedal for two reasons. First, it would be wasted on me at the moment, and second, because my drum teach said no! He wnts me to develop my foot speed on a single before we discuss a double pedal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wanted to get into double bass, but then I swapped back to single pedal and realised my beats were a lot more technical and full of groove. So no, not any more.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    yea thats why I kinda wanna get one, I don't wanna be one of those "DOUBLE PEDAL IS CHEATING AND SINGLE IS MORE TALENTED" I mean you can still use single pedal the majority of the time, just use double when you need to, not when your ego needs to, when you really need it and the music calls for it. also, double pedal is hard... iv tried it.
    Double pedal deosnt have to be harder than single pedal. Makeing such a blanket-statement is counter-productive.

User Info Menu

I love double pedal but playing doubles in music has to be timed perfectly and in the right places coz if they are out of time they sound terrible.

drums-rock Guest

double bass pedals are ace!!

User Info Menu

I really want a double bass pedal. My parents promise to buy me double pedals by the end of the month as a reward for my grades :D
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered