Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rubber or mesh heads? (you decide: video of side-by-side)

User Info Menu

Default rubber or mesh heads? (you decide: video of side-by-side)

Hi all...

now that i have my Roland TD-9SX all set up (and am selling my Simmons SD7K), i decided to do a side by side comparison of the responsiveness of the mesh (Roland) vs rubber (Simmons) heads....

here's a video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7bWsugi2yc"]YouTube- MVI_0081.AVI[/ame]

indeed, i'm no expert on tensioning heads, but the Roland is OBVIOUSLY much more responsive...!

sure, you pay a pretty penny for that!!! but if you are serious, you might want to consider an upgrade to mesh heads at one point...

- prime

User Info Menu

Default Re: rubber or mesh heads? (you decide: video of side-by-side)

It will be interesting to see how the new DTX-PAD from Yamaha compares.

I'm betting the replacement for the DTXpress IV will only have one of those for the snare, but I'm hoping the toms will also be upgraded to some version with the new material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by primemover View Post
    Hi all...

now that i have my Roland TD-9SX all set up (and am selling my Simmons SD7K), i decided to do a side by side comparison of the responsiveness of the mesh (Roland) vs rubber (Simmons) heads....

here's a video!

YouTube- MVI_0081.AVI

indeed, i'm no expert on tensioning heads, but the Roland is OBVIOUSLY much more responsive...!

sure, you pay a pretty penny for that!!! but if you are serious, you might want to consider an upgrade to mesh heads at one point...

- prime
    Just to be clear/fair to other manufacturer's of rubber pads...there are much better rubber pads out there than the Simmons pads.....but, yes mesh pads are responsive...almost too much so (alot of people don't like the unrealistic bounce they have)......Also another comparison would be to add a real drum/mylar head in the mix...to see how they compare to each other
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 12-23-2009 at 03:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Playing on the rubber pads hurts my elbow over time. Hat and ride anyway. Probably need to relax my grip a bit though...

User Info Menu

mesh.. better response, less noise, doesn't send vibrations into your arm as heavily as rubber does, it's takes much less soundproofing/soundtreating if you are in a area where neighbors are a concern. i tried to play a yamaha kit(dtexpress) and nearly had the stick bounce back and hit me in the eye. the thud-noise coming off them is just not for me.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

My TD-9 kit has a combination of rubber and mesh. I'm OK with either or both.

I've never experienced pain from playing. If I did, I would consult someone to observe my technique, and possibly my doctor to see if there was something physically wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jajo View Post
    My TD-9 kit has a combination of rubber and mesh. I'm OK with either or both.

I've never experienced pain from playing. If I did, I would consult someone to observe my technique, and possibly my doctor to see if there was something physically wrong.
    I get tennis elbow from lifting things incorrectly from time to time. It becomes worse playing on the hard rubber pads. The thing is, it takes a long time to go away completely and little things can make it flare. I have a brace I wear at times. It's more a product of age and....well, mostly age! It hasn't flared up in more than a year but I do limit my time on the Roland rubber pads. Playing on a practice pad doesn't have the same effect likely because I am more prone to use my wrist in that position.
    Last edited by xsabers; 12-24-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: cuz I drum better than I type...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Just to be clear/fair to other manufacturer's of rubber pads...there are much better rubber pads out there than the Simmons pads.....but, yes mesh pads are responsive...almost too much so (alot of people don't like the unrealistic bounce they have)......Also another comparison would be to add a real drum/mylar head in the mix...to see how they compare to each other
    indeed (re: not all rubber heads are the same)... i was just comparing (in general) mesh vs rubber and yes, having all three (rubber, mesh, acu.) in the video would be relaly good (i just do not have an acustic avail.)

and since i have never played (much) on an acustic, it is tough to really know the diff. between them and mesh...

all good points!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I get tennis elbow from lifting things incorrectly from time to time. It becomes worse playing on the hard rubber pads. The thing is, it takes a long time to go away completely and little things can make it flare. I have a brace I wear at times. It's more a product of age and....well, mostly age! It hasn't flared up in more than a year but I do limit my time on the Roland rubber pads. Playing on a practice pad doesn't have the same effect likely because I am more prone to use my wrist in that position.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was diagnosed with golfer's elbow in both arms about 5 years ago. Same as tennis elbow, but the inside tendon.

I actually had to quit golfing because of the pain. But, no issues playing drums.

User Info Menu

It seems to me that the mesh head is tuned to tight in that video. It makes a ping and bounces like a tennis racket. I prefer my yammie rubber. I will be getting a TD120 next week, so I will find out how much the rubber has improved since the 60-65 series. I have heard on the v-drum forum that some folks like the mesh real loose for a more realistic experience. Of course, I have no idea, as I have spent little time on mesh heads.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    It seems to me that the mesh head is tuned to tight in that video. It makes a ping and bounces like a tennis racket. I prefer my yammie rubber. I will be getting a TD120 next week, so I will find out how much the rubber has improved since the 60-65 series. I have heard on the v-drum forum that some folks like the mesh real loose for a more realistic experience. Of course, I have no idea, as I have spent little time on mesh heads.
    hey, yup... they make a PING (as per directions in manual and various V-drum threads)... i have never had an acoustic set, so... it is tough for me to really know the GOOD, the BAD or UGLY re: mesh heads too tight or just right...

i did tension my 3 toms differently and tried them side by side... the one as per directions was just a bit too tight, so the one in the video (and all in my kit now) are tensioned a little looser than others on V-drum suggested...

in time may change them...

User Info Menu

The other thing to look at here is you are camparing a Roland product to a Simmons product. In my opinion (and remember it's just my opinion so I don't want to offend anyone) Roland is far superior in quality. I have a TD-6 with all rubber pads and they are super responsive. I did just order a Roland d-120 mesh snare to replace my snare so I will be able to give maybe a little more accurate review of mesh -v- rubber or at least my opinion on that. The only reason for that is so I can have a dual zone snare so i can cross stick.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    The other thing to look at here is you are camparing a Roland product to a Simmons product. In my opinion (and remember it's just my opinion so I don't want to offend anyone) Roland is far superior in quality. I have a TD-6 with all rubber pads and they are super responsive. I did just order a Roland d-120 mesh snare to replace my snare so I will be able to give maybe a little more accurate review of mesh -v- rubber or at least my opinion on that. The only reason for that is so I can have a dual zone snare so i can cross stick.
    this is a VERY important point!

User Info Menu

Yes it is! I quickly moved up to the Yammie stuff(price range) for the extra triggering. I am getting the yammie TD120 on wed so pretty excited!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I have been playing Roland Mesh Drums for years, I have had my TD-20 kit for years.

I simply adjusted the tension on the heads so they feel natural. You can remove the tennis racket feel no problem.

I have been play my TD-20 kit this way since the day I bought it home over 4 years ago. I have had no problems at all.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm jealous!!! I want a TD-20!! A friend of mine is selling his td-10 with all mesh heads for $1500 with the amp too but I can't afford it.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I have played on the Roland rubber pads and now I am using the roland mesh head pads an a I have a self made E-kit with mesh heads. A huge difference. I will never play on rubber pads again. So a simple choice if you ask me.

User Info Menu

I prefer mesh,,,,simply abit less rebound
    but more like a real head....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I gotta say I don't mind the rubber heads too much. I think they've come a long way since the early rubber. I have a mesh snare. With that said as I upgrade my TD-9 I'll probably by all mesh.

User Info Menu

I've played them both (rubber and mesh) and both have their weaknesses. For rubber, if it's not a really good rubber (as in soft/compliant) then the playing surface is hard on your hands; for mesh, it's too much bounce (I currently use mesh). Truth be told, neither feels like an acoustic drum head, which is what I would want ultimately. I am curious about the new silicone head technology that Yamaha is comng out with...I'll probably try one of these pads when they come out in March/April...

User Info Menu

Two months ago I bought a Roland TD-4SX which has mesh heads. I have never played drums before and so I have no acoustic drum experience to compare with. But when I was researching which e-kit to buy, I chose the mesh heads because they have adjustable tension. This means that even though they won't feel exactly the same as acoustic skins, I can get much closer via tension adjustment than I can with a solid rubber pad that has only one fixed kind of response to my sticks.

User Info Menu

I play an acoustic set most of the time. But I love to play on the Roland rubber heads. Their action fits my style and ability. I can't do a press roll on acoustics. I can on rubber. But I don't like electronic hi-hats at all.

User Info Menu

I don't like mesh heads at all. They did not feel good to me at all. I love the pads on my yamaha dtxtreme iii. They are rubber and they feel great to me, no problems with pain or anything. As above posters said, you might want to reevaluate your technique if you are getting pain. e.g. loosen up

OP I'm sorry but that video did no do justice to rubber heads at all. You had a super tight tennis racket mesh head vs and not so good set of rubber drums. No offense.

User Info Menu

What is a good starter brand mesh head? I need two 12" heads for homemade pads (acoustic tom cut in half)
    Thanks,
    Brad

User Info Menu

Try the Billy Blast mesh heads...decent heads and they won't break your bank...