Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Official Wuhan China Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: Official Wuhan China Thread

Long and mcquade is slowly starting to stock Wuhan Chinas. The 12" is $60, and the 22" is....$315.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Long and mcquade is slowly starting to stock Wuhan Chinas. The 12" is $60, and the 22" is....$315.
    I was shocked at those prices until I saw you were in Canada...I didn't convert the prices to see but you can get new 12" Wuhans for $25 US easily (not counting lower sales). I really hope $60 in Canada is not close to $60 here because that is terribly high if so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I was shocked at those prices until I saw you were in Canada...I didn't convert the prices to see but you can get new 12" Wuhans for $25 US easily (not counting lower sales). I really hope $60 in Canada is not close to $60 here because that is terribly high if so.
    $60 is about $45 US

$315 is about $236 US

Still very high.

-Mike

User Info Menu

On amazon canada, 13" hi hats are $260, and a 16" china is $106

-Mike

User Info Menu

Are the prices of bigger brands like Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, etc also higher, or are they closer to normal US pricing? It almost seems like you'd be better off just getting a china from Sabian for example...obviously if the Wuhan is the sound you're after this post is pretty pointless haha. I just know most people like Wuhans because of their price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    Are the prices of bigger brands like Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl, etc also higher, or are they closer to normal US pricing? It almost seems like you'd be better off just getting a china from Sabian for example...obviously if the Wuhan is the sound you're after this post is pretty pointless haha. I just know most people like Wuhans because of their price point.
    I ordered a 16" online yesterday. Sabian prices are actually better here. The HH raw bell dry ride is $405 on the GC website, and $335 on LM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I ordered a 16" online yesterday. Sabian prices are actually better here. The HH raw bell dry ride is $405 on the GC website, and $335 on LM.
    Nice, that's a pretty big difference!

User Info Menu

I have a 16" Wuhan china had it for 15years and its still amazing. I got if free from GC and was a bit skeptical. Last month I got a 8" splash and again has not disappoint

User Info Menu

I used to have a 12" Wuhan china but I sold it along with the rest of my gear. Big mistake
    Why? Because two weeks ago, I intended to buy a new 12" but whereas my old one sounded trashy and mean, the new 12" chinas (I tried all they had in stock) all sounded like hitting gramps old bed-pan...
    So...I bought a 14" instead. A little louder, messier, trashier etc. Happy as a kid on christmas
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellride View Post
    I used to have a 12" Wuhan china but I sold it along with the rest of my gear. Big mistake
    Why? Because two weeks ago, I intended to buy a new 12" but whereas my old one sounded trashy and mean, the new 12" chinas (I tried all they had in stock) all sounded like hitting gramps old bed-pan...
    So...I bought a 14" instead. A little louder, messier, trashier etc. Happy as a kid on christmas
    I've found that some of them sound better the longer you play them. Almost like they need to be broken in.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've found that some of them sound better the longer you play them. Almost like they need to be broken in.
    I thought the same thing when I used a complete "S" series Wuhan set of cymbals for rehearsals with a band several years ago.

I think we just got used to them.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have some of the Wuhan S cymbals and really like them. I think they were one of wuhans better sounding cymbals.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

I liked the 16" China so much I went to SA for a closing store sale. I bought a 12" Wuhan China for $27 mounted it! Sounded like a metal trash can rolling down the street. I sold it a week later for $20. I also picked up a 8" splash the jury is still out on that one. Sometimes sounds great other times a little tinny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I thought the same thing when I used a complete "S" series Wuhan set of cymbals for rehearsals with a band several years ago.

I think we just got used to them.
    IDK, I think there may be some truth behind it. Cymbals are malleable metal and their "tuned" sound comes from manipulation of internal tensions through hammering, forming and the shape. The more a cymbal is played and vibrates, those tensions may work toward equilibrium and/or "settle in". This could conceivably cause it to mellow and the harsh overtones to be reduced. I could see where all new cymbals may go through this, but it could be that cheap ones like Wuhan that are thin and not as refined in terms of tuning would be more noticeable. FWIW, I bough all new Wuhans last year, and there is no doubt in my mind that they have changed in sound. Much smoother now.

Or......it could be all mental....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellride View Post
    I bought a 14" instead. A little louder, messier, trashier etc. Happy as a kid on christmas
    I use a 14 and an 18 in my current set-up............both great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I also agree, these cymbals are made in mass quantity so I'm sure some fall under the radar. Maybe just got a bad apple. Some of these other cymbal companies pride themselves on each cymbal is handmade and no two are alike. If this is true maybe one cymbalsmith does more refining than the other so I can see some imperfection.. IDK just speculating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    IDK, I think there may be some truth behind it. Cymbals are malleable metal and their "tuned" sound comes from manipulation of internal tensions through hammering, forming and the shape. The more a cymbal is played and vibrates, those tensions may work toward equilibrium and/or "settle in". This could conceivably cause it to mellow and the harsh overtones to be reduced. I could see where all new cymbals may go through this, but it could be that cheap ones like Wuhan that are thin and not as refined in terms of tuning would be more noticeable. FWIW, I bough all new Wuhans last year, and there is no doubt in my mind that they have changed in sound. Much smoother now.

Or......it could be all mental....
    My Wuhans have changed in sound. The 8" splash still sounds the same, but the 10" is very low pitched. I think my China is starting to sound worse though. I get a big low overtone now. It wasn't there when I first got the cymbal.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Offical Wuhan China Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    jordison, they are pretty thin cymbals, so avoid hitting them on the edge, if you hit hard. The best way to do that is to mount them upside down, so the edge turns downward. I've had my 18" China for about 3 years now, and I have a 12" China that I have had for about 2 years. Granted, I don't play Metal music, so my Chinas are more for occasional accent, but if you think about your striking technique, these Chinas will hold up just fine.
    I want to play the 18" China upside down. Rivet heads would then be on the bottom. How would it affect sound?
    Last edited by Roosto; 08-12-2020 at 08:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a Wuhan 16" China that I bought at Ray Fransen's Drum Center for $60. I really like how it sounds, but I do not use it much unless the music calls for it. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army