Thread: Drum Lessons or not?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Lessons or not?

I'm enough of a musician (not drums) to know that generally lessons are the way to go, but the situation is slightly more complex. I'll explain.

My son is 10 years old, he just got a drum kit for Christmas. For several years it has been his ambition to be a rockstar. We got him a guitar about two years ago, and for the last year he has had guitar lessons. He does really well on everything to do with pitch - but his sense of rhythm leaves something to be desired.

Hi guitar teacher is very easy-ozy about this. His philosophy is that if he sticks at it, it will come good. And I've been amazed at how much has actually come good, not by counting out and meticulous practice, but with time, and listening, and just letting it happen.

Last year he was offered free lessons from the council in a musical instrument and I enouraged my son to request percussion lessons. It wasn't a hard sell - I told him it would make him more versatile as a rockstar. But really my thinking was that it would sharpen him up rhythmically.

He's had these lessons for about 3 months now. The lessons are in a group, and the other kids don't have the musical experience that he has. They gave him a practice pad on which they do rudiments and a xylophone on which they do simple tunes. So, for example, before Christmas they performed Frere Jacques as a round. It's been a real joy to watch him 'being counted in', keeping time, and getting crotchets and quavers actually correct, unlike what he does on his guitar where he just races as fast as he can.

But I could see that it just wasn't rock'n roll, hence the drum kit for Christmas. I also got him 3 'taster lessons' with a private teacher on a real drum kit - so now he can play a groove and a fill.

My dilemma is this: do I try to get him individual rock'n roll drumkit lessons on top of the free percussions lessons? That would make 3 lessons a week (guitar comes first) and I don't want to overload him. Do we pack in the percussion lessons in favour of drum kit ones? Do I try to find a teacher who would give him a private lesson once a month?

Money is an issue, at least until I or my husband finds a job.

My original plan was to continue with the free percussion ones and let him find his own way on the drum kit. We're both pretty resourceful for learning really, and I've noticed he normally learns better when he feels he's done it himself. What would be great is if he could do something (even something very simple) on drums while I play guitar - then we could swap around. But now I'm wondering if that's unrealistic.

Any thoughts appreciated, including perhaps pitfalls to watch out for if we do 'go it alone'.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lessons or not?

so he has guitar, percussion, and drumset lessons right now? that seems a bit much- even i would quit over the pressure. i would just get him in either drums or guitar depending on where his heart is, it will be easier on him without all the other teachers to contend with and it will be easier on you financially. i imagine after christmas this must be a feat to be able to keep him in lessons, someday he will come back and thank you kindly.

don't worry if he falls behind anyone in his class, if he joins a band he can learn another side of things in music and pick up the pieces. as long as he is open minded and wants to take it all in, he will learn a lot from his peers in class but i think more so in band cause they show him what is required and expected at practice. class feels a bit like work, but in a band he can be himself and play along and have more fun.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Three sets of lessons is too much, you are right. I personally don't think two instruments is too much. At that age I was learning two instruments - I practiced every day and did so for many years. So I'm hoping that two won't prove too much for him.

I would love for him to get some experience of playing in a band, but I haven't been able to find anything that's right. He needs someone to jam with that's not his mum.

User Info Menu

Agree with Russ...

Do you get many rock stars who play drums and guitar? You could ask me what he really desires to do and focus him on that... and still give him some lessons from the other instrument if you still want that. Personally I would just give him one type of lessons. That way he can focus and excel in that.

Another suggestion is to buy him some drumming books so he can learn to read music properly and if as you say he likes it when he works something out himself... that might be the way to go.

All the best with it TLT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Another suggestion is to buy him some drumming books so he can learn to read music properly and if as you say he likes it when he works something out himself... that might be the way to go.
    I was actually thinking drum DVD/s. I agree with the idea that learning drums will help with keeping time and make him listen to different instrument parts. The thing is to try and keep it fun. Lessons could come later down the track depending on what he wants to do.

All the best - Kate
    TD-9KX YAMAHA PCY155!!! 4 toms, Pearl Eliminator Single Pedal, Vex & VDrumLib, Mapex T765A

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Oz View Post
    I was actually thinking drum DVD/s. I agree with the idea that learning drums will help with keeping time and make him listen to different instrument parts. The thing is to try and keep it fun. Lessons could come later down the track depending on what he wants to do.

All the best - Kate
    Hmm yes good call Kate!

User Info Menu

If he is soaking it all up and enjoying himself keep at it. Better than hanging around a street corner or playing bloody xbox 24/7.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks for all the positive vibes!

We are waiting for a book from Amazon - don't know which as it's a gift from a relative, but I think it has a play-along CD.

But I think I will just continue with the guitar and percussion lessons, which have worked well because they are all very relaxed and non-pressured. And encourage him to muck about, hopefully with friends. Friends, who, (I imagine) will flock to the house when they hear he has a drum kit!

Anything to keep him off his Nintendo!

User Info Menu

Tenleftthumbs, to answer your question i would always be in favor of percussion lessons first for a boy that age, rock and roll drumming comes to you after you can
    master the basics first! the rest will happen as he gets older. that would be what i would do.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Lessons or not?

Thanks MartyM. So at present, he gets a weekly lessons with a percussion teacher who makes sure he is holding the sticks properly and they do some rudiments, some simple rhythms and some tunes on xylophone. The other benefit to these lessons, which he wouldn't get with a private teacher, is that because it's a group, he has to keep time with his peers.

This whole thing has made me ask a lot of questions about how I learned about rhythm, and I find it difficult to remember. I do remember doing lots and lots of counting out. But I can't remember at what stage I could manage what kind of rhythms.

So take, for example, the guitar riff to Day Tripper. My son and I both love the Beatles, so it was only natural as soon as he worked out the notes, he would be playing it over and over. But he got the rhythm wrong! And he couldn't hear why it was wrong. And it would annoy the hell out of me, it really would. And my instinct was to explain about the tied notes and the syncopation, and make him count it out, slowly, until he could get it right. But the guitar teacher said no, leave it, let it come good. Well, he is a wise man, and 6 months on he can play it about 95% right.

Goodness, I've gone off at a tangent. Does anyone else here get incredibly and unreasonably annoyed when other people play, or sing, or hum, or tap, and they get the rhythm wrong?

User Info Menu

It never really happens to me.
    But I definately think you should have him pick lessons. I took lessons when I was little and it just totally turned me off to misic until i was much older. Dont pressure him, and let him decide. 3 lessons is way to much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Left Thumbs View Post
    Goodness, I've gone off at a tangent. Does anyone else here get incredibly and unreasonably annoyed when other people play, or sing, or hum, or tap, and they get the rhythm wrong?
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha sends me up the wall.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha sends me up the wall.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Left Thumbs View Post
    The one that gets me is when they clap on the 1 and 3, rather than 2 and 4. GGGGRRRRrrrrrrrrrr!

The percussion class is a good idea, anything that gets him playing with other musicians.

Is there a drummer lives nearby that would be able to play along with his guitar? Believe me, any experienced drummer is going to let him know pretty quick how important playing in time, groove, and all that stuff is if he ever wants to be a rockstar.

Just a thought.

Andy

User Info Menu

You guys are really underestimating children; three different types of lessons isn't too much. When kids are really into something they will soak it up like you wouldn't believe. I see kids having different activities every day of the week and exceling at all of them. The people who really feel strained by a bunch of different activities are the parents who have to shuttle them around, the kids themselves usually do fine if they're interested (being interested is definitely the major factor).

Personally, if it were my kid, I'd continue the three lessons. The percussion and drum lessons kind of go hand-in-hand, so I don't think that doing both will be overwhelming. As for the guitar lessons, what'll end up happening is that he'll either love both the guitar and drums and excel at both (there are many musicians that can play both) or he'll abandon one for the other. Let him try it out for a few weeks/months and he'll let you know what he wants to do. You just gotta brace yourself for the fact that he may decide he wants to dump guitar and focus on the drums.

User Info Menu

Personally, let him sort out was he does and doesn't want to do. Agreed 3 lessons isn't too much. But you don't have to do that to him. He's only a child, chill out. Personally. You don't want him to lose interest, that's what my parents did to me and I quit for about 2 years and picked up drums again.
    Mapex Meridian Maple Standard.
    Aquarian.
    Vater.

User Info Menu

I will add in my 2 cents worth on the subject...........I agree 3 lessons / week is a lot, dollar wise. So you dont go broke and keep him in lessons I suggest keeping up with the guitar on his normal schedule and the free percussion lessons too.

When he gets to the point where percussion lessons dont seem to be gaining him any more improvement I would say it is time for the private lessons to begin.

Best of luck and I agree that jamming with others will greatly improve his talents.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey