Thread: how to clean tenor drums?

User Info Menu

Default how to clean tenor drums?

I've been borrowing these tenors for quite a while, and I will keep borrowing them until clinics for the next drumline start, which don't start until late january, early February.

I should explain for those who aren't familiar with these "clinics" that it's basically that you get to figure your way around what you want to play, and you get to learn the basic techniques on how to play it, and learn the excersizes and maybe a cadence or two (those don't REALLY start until the season actually starts) and they're weekly until the audition which is in Late April and you find out who got what part a week later.

As I explained before, I've borrowed these tenors for about a couple months now, and I kinda want to give something back, so our band director gets a feeling that it was worth something to let me borrow an old set of tenors with its corresponding harness, so I figured "why not clean the drums?". The problem here is that I have NO clue on how to clean these things. Anyone know how to clean a set of Pearl marching tenors?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: how to clean tenor drums?

I would first take everything completely apart to begin cleaning. For the shells, just a little soap and water + elbow grease. On the lugs and rims and other chrome parts scrub them with some wadded up aluminum foil dipped in Brasso. The foil is softer than chrome, so it won't scratch but will provide a nice abbrasivness to remove any rust or tarnish, trust me it will blow your mind how well it works. Don't use steel wool, it will scratch the heck outta the chrome. The brasso will give it a nice shine. Use steel wool to remove any rust from the tension rod threads. Once eveything is cleaned up, reassemble, and they will look like brand new.

I think you would be doing a great thing by giving them an overhall cleaning before you give them back. It will certainly show your directors that you know how to take care of the equipment and show that you are responsible player. Good luck with the upcomming try outs!

User Info Menu

When you mean "Completely apart", do you mean take the lugs (I'm not talking the screws) off the drums, and make each drum separate, and all that stuff?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Just pull all of the hardware off of the shells so you will have a pile of hardware to clean and a pile of shells to clean, then reassemble and tune em up nice.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Done that. Now to clean the hardware... Does the part where the gock drum (I have quints) attatch count as chrome or hardware?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC