Thread: Not Your Average Newbie

User Info Menu

Default Not Your Average Newbie

Hi, let me start by saying I'm not the average person you find on this kind of site. But I liked the friendly feel of this website & thought I'd jump in.

I'm a 48-year-old soccer mom who has wanted to learn to play drums for a long time. Let me tell you a little about myself. I am a cartoonist with no professional training, just what's inherited from my dad, & I'm better than a lot of people who are getting paid for their artwork. I played basic acoustic guitar in my teens & twenties but hit a learning plateau. I pursued other things for years, getting my private pilot's license flying a 1946 Taylorcraft, then buying & restoring a 1969 Olds 442. I bought a beginner drumset just after Thanksgiving, but I got drumming DVDs from the library & was working on hand-foot coordination on a pillow before I picked them up. A month into it, I'm having a blast, & I'm upgrading my equipment already (still cheap stuff, but better than what came with the set). Here's the issue: I don't see myself learning to read music. I have no desire to play professionally, & my middle-aged eyes just can't focus that fast. My daughter, who plays clarinet in the school band, has tried to help me but I just don't think I need to go there. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about music from a listener's point of view (I was the person people called for musical answers before the internet came on the scene). I can hear the layers of a song, tell who influenced whom, & feel what it was like when rock & roll emerged. I'm starting off with fairly uncomplicated stuff, playing along with things like early Beatles or The Ventures on my MP3 player.

So what can a person like me do to move ahead? I don't want to take lessons if I'm going to be forced to read music. I don't speak drummer-ese, I don't hang out with musicians, & so much of what I read on various websites just makes my head spin. I think I'm doing well, but I don't want to hit that same plateau I found with my guitar so long ago. I'm hoping my more "mature" outlook will make me a better student. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

User Info Menu

You don't necessarily have to read music to take lessons. I don't consider myself able to read music but I can practice the things my teacher writes down for me. I think if you want to take drumming seriously and want to get better, getting a teacher is the best thing you can do.

If you decide not to take lessons, you can find lots of drum tablature online which is a much simpler way of learning songs and beats than reading music.

And welcome to Drum Chat!
    Last edited by yohin; 12-28-2009 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not Your Average Newbie

welcome to DC Nomad. First off, I can relate to you. I'm 37...incidentally have my pilots certificate too. anyway, I started taking lessons in June and reading drum sheet music isnt the same as reading regular sheet music. I'm just starting to learn to read drum sheet music but it has already made me a better drummer and all around better musician.

taking lessons is totally up to you but it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. You cant get that type of personal interaction from DVD's.
    either way good luck with whichever you decide to do and I'll be waitin for pics of the 442

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I would say the best thing you can do is find a teacher.. unlearn bad habits before they form. the way my instructor teaches reading is just integrated but there are alot of great drummers out there that dont read so if you dont want to learn it talk to your instructor. also when looking for an instructor remember your interviewing them for a job feel free to ask any questions you want .. you dont want to spend 5 months learning from someone than realize that you're styles are just plain old too different to be any good.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Not Your Average Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Here you go
    Nomad, welcome aboard--and that '69 4-4-2 is awesome! With it being a pillared coupe rather than the usual 2-door hardtop, that's definitely not a "father's Oldsmobile" you see very much these days! (You will learn that I'm not only a "bongo head," I'm also a "gear head!")

THERE IS NO SUCH THING IS AN "AVERAGE" NEWBIE!

Not yellin' at ya, but just pointing out that each of us come in where we are with our own experiences and add our own style to our playing. And you've got enough experiences for three or four lifetimes!

I started taking drum lessons 25 years ago (at age 32) because it was something I wanted (but didn't have the time or incentive before then) to do. It took me a while to get started (and like you, there were issues with following notes and learning patterns!) but I've become a fairly good set player and a darn good hand drummer!

Find a good teacher who's willing to encourage you and challenge you...not just the mechanics but also your enthusiasm! And don't worry, Nomad, once you hang around DrumChat a while, your "drum chat" will improve tremendously. You'll find us a very friendly bunch who will answer your questions and share our experiences with you!

Welcome aboard, Nomad!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the advice. But if you want a flight instructor, you go to the airport, where you'll find dozens. So where does one locate drum instructors, especially enough of them to interview & find the right one?

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the advice. But if you want a flight instructor, you go to the airport, where you'll find dozens. So where does one locate drum instructors, especially enough of them to interview & find the right one?
    Music stores? Craig's list or the like?- I don't think you need to read drum music to be able to drum or get instructions from an instructor.

My 2c's worth...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Not Your Average Newbie

In my case, Nomad, the drum teacher I chose ran (and still runs) a drum shop just a few blocks from my home. I had known of him for years because he was, at the time, a steadily working drummer and his son is the leader of an 18-piece big band (with whom I have played percussion on several occasions through the years).

He really caught my attention because he had a pair of well-used Gon Bops congas in his display window when I first talked with him about starting lessons. I didn't buy the drums (someone already had), but in talking with him I learned that he loved hand drums and Latin music, which made it easy for him and me to relate to our goals. That was in 1984. He and I are no longer teacher and student; we've become very close friends and percussive partners in many musical projects.

If you can find a drum teacher with that kind of experience and credentials, consider that a major blessing! I would say in short look for a drum shop run by a drummer! His may not be the biggest shop in town, but chances are good you'll find a great teacher...

Hope this helps!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thats a sweet 442...
    as far as instructors, I found mine through an ad on craigslist. I had a few responses and met with the one I felt fit best with what I wanted to learn (pretty much everything LOL)
    my teach graduated from Berklee and is endorses Pearl drums so I knew he was well versed in all styles and knew how to play.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Nomad!

I agree with bongbro that you don't ever have to come here and feel that you have to fit into any mold. Just be yourself, enjoy drumming, and chatting with drummers who respect each other, and do all they can to help each other. Oh, and we laugh with each other too! If you want to see some of the craziness, just drop by the "Newbie Initiation" thread and follow the directions on the first post after you've had a chance to laugh at some of the other posts! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-1699.html

Nomad, I have played guitar, and I had 2 years of elementary school clarinet, but I had always wanted to play drums. I originally picked up a drum practice pad, and some sticks so that I could work on rhythms that would help my guitar strumming. What happened was that at 52 I suddenly reignited a dormant passion for drumming. I've learned a lot from other drummers here, and along with a good teacher, it has helped me progress. No matter what direction you take with your drumming, make sure you take time to have fun with it.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with the rest. Take some lessons. You will progress faster and, with a teacher's help, you'll be able to measure your improvement. You will also not be as likely to get stuck in a rut. The teacher can help you explore alternate ways of playing and ideally will prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.

I don't understand the part about you not being an average newbie, however...I thought there were dozens of 48-year-old soccer moms rebuilding 442's here.

Phil
    You can always tell a drummer...but you can't tell 'em much.

Stuff:

1975 Rogers Londoner V in Spanish Gold
    Sonor Force 3000 in need of refinishing
    5" and 6.5" Rogers Dynasonic COB snares
    Sabian, Amedia and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals

User Info Menu

Take me for a ride in that 442 to the airport, then fly me over niagra falls in that plane and I will give ya free drum lessons for a year.
    welcome Nomad, good to have another lady drummer.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hey Nomad. Great advice on this thread. I understand your distaste for sheet music and structured learning, however you are in a unique position which will only happen once for your drumming. You are new. This is great. Like playing golf, ask any instructor and he/ she will tell you trying to un teach bad habits is much harder than to teach good technique. You have no bad habits or technique yet. You are a blank slate.

Now about sheet music. I know, boring, tedious, however learning time signature and reading sheet music go hand in hand and it will make your voyage through drumming so much more rewarding. Drummers use time signature every minute they pic up those sticks if they realize it or not and knowing where you are at rhythmically is key to creating music and learning some one else's music.

Don't forget to work on learning to tune your drums and how to tune for different sounds and taste. This will keep your perspective fresh and will maximize your enjoyment of drumming with great sounding drums that YOU tuned and adjusted.

Lastly, Rudiments, Rudiments, Rudiments. This will increase proficiency, tempo, precision, speed and tighten up your sound in total. I am a big Rudiment fan. Spent years on a practice pad and snare drums with rudiments and sheet music before I ever sat at a trap set and this has helped me continue to improve with the rare plateau and keep from getting bored

Love the 442 and impressed with your Pilot's certificate ( which means you are very motivated as this is no easy task). Don't forget to post up pics of your kit when you get a chance.

User Info Menu

Oh, and I forgot WELCOME TO THE DC

User Info Menu

Welcome Nomad, you'll find lots of good advice and friendly chat here.

Keep us posted as to your drumming journey!

Cheers,

BWB
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the welcome & the info. I spent many years working in general aviation, & I know one thing that kept people from exploring learning to fly was the fear of appearing stupid. Many pilots want everyone to know just how cool they are & this can be very intimidating to a newbie. They forget that they weren't born with 1000 hours & a multi-engine rating.

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions & pumping me up a little. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

User Info Menu

I'm a 48-year-old soccer mom who has wanted to learn to play drums for a long time.
    Hi Nomad!

I don't use the words 'soccer' or 'mom', but I am a mother, and I can identify with your desire to learn drums. Now, I would never have gone out and bought myself a drumkit. But now that there is one in the house, I've got the bug. This is fun! Also, compared to many instruments, quite easy to make a decent sound out of, at least initially.

Good luck with your journey!

User Info Menu

i didnt read the whole thread but if you do not wanna learn how to read make sure you at least learn your rudiments and welcome to drum chat
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Nomad, you sound like a self-starter who's talented enough to pick up things rather quickly. As you can see from the folks here at DC, age or gender is not a factor when playing drums. Also, getting on DC and tapping into this community of drummers is almost like having private teacher. You seem to have done the right things so far in your new found hobby. However, there will come a time when you're going to want to start playing out in front of people. This is where the real "enjoyment" comes from. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Nomad.

Youre never too old to learn and can take lessons without trying to become professional.

Try looking around the area at your local music store, most of them offer lessons. Also try contacting your daughters music teacher at school and ask if there is someone in the area they would reccomend.

Best of luck in your search for a teacher and luckily for you , you have found the right drum forum.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Hey,

Welcome to DC.

Buddy Rich is seen by most as a pioneer and one of the greatest drummers of all time - he couldn't read music.

Sheet music is becoming more relevant and maybe necessary in recent years, but who says you need it? IMO music is about what you make, not what you replicate. Being able to read sheet music has helped me get to the point of 'making', but there are plenty of different paths to that point.

Go to your local music store and ask the people there for contact details of teachers. Tell them what you want and they may suggest you to a particular person. Most teachers should be fine with you not wanting to learn sheet music because it really isnt a necessity.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Welcome Nomad! You sound like an interesting lady. Go female drummers of the world!!!! When it comes to learning new things. I spend a lot of time on YouTube finding lessons I want to delve into. Heck, I have even started to put a few up of my own...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gP0q09bFIY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gP0q09bFIY[/ame]

Stay on your drum journey and keep exploring.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Cool fill RATT!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You are doubly kind pastor bob for the double props.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater