Thread: frustrated with recording snare!

TheKidd Guest

Default frustrated with recording snare!

My Snare sounds WAAAY too distant.

Ok, So I have 2 mics. And I can only use one. Right now I am using a vocal condenser for the tom toms & Cymbals. it picks up everything PERFECT but when I tried it on the snare, not so much.

So here is what I have tried.

Condenser Mic On top- Didn't pick up anything but Low Sounds. Such as the Tom Tom near it.

Condenser On Bottom of the snare- Picked up the high sound of the springs hitting but not it sounded so bad. It was a hit, but it basically just recorded the POP of the springs.

Dynamic On top- Picks it up but gives off a real low. UMPH. Not like a rock hit, more like a tom tom. I tried setting the Eqs all the way to the right to get the higher sound but it still kinda sounded like a tom.

Dynamic On bottom- Once again. Picked up the springs, but too much of it.

Also- When I say springs, I mean the little metal things that are under the snare. I don't know the correct name!

So. I just want it to stop being so distant.

I have a Alesis Multimix 8 usb and I dont get really how to set the EQ's.

here is what it looks like from a top view.

How would I set the Eq's and what not so the snare sounds nice?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: frustrated with recording snare!

There is a thread on here with what is recomended % wise

Larrysperf Guest

Found it it says kick 70 snare 50 to 70 %

TheKidd Guest

Is that for EQ or Just volume?

User Info Menu

Place your single condensor about 8" above your cymbals in the middle of your rack toms. Play your cymbals and toms a little quieter and your snare a little louder

TheKidd Guest

Ok, my toms and cymbals- the mic goes in the middle. So just tone that and the snare louder? Sounds good. I got a new drum cover and I wanna see what yo think of the quality.

User Info Menu

Usually when I play live all I use one overhead and a kick mic. It sounds great.

Larrysperf Guest

also they are called snare wires

TheKidd Guest

Set the EQ for the snare drum. Start by setting the EQ to 5,000 K with 1,200 Presence. Add a 3- to 5-dB boost as necessary to produce a "cracking" sound from the snare.

I read that^^^ off a site. Now with those 3 EQ nobs. How would I go about that?

User Info Menu

Whatever you do, do not use your condenser mic on the snare drum. A condenser mic is mainly used for overhead placement or to close mic the hats or snare, if you close mic your snare with it, it will sound horrible and ruin your mic.

If you only have 1 mic, it is a condenser mic correct? If so place it directly over your head, about 2 feet above your head, with the tip of mic facing right between your rack toms, this will pick up the entire kit, and should produce a nicely balanced sound.

As far as EQ adjustment, this can be tricky, but i would start with the high frequency be set just barely past the mid mark, the mid frequency just about a quarter of the way up(so half way between off and half), and turn the low frequency around half way, and that really should give you a very nice sound.

Keep in mind, you are not going to get studio quality with one mic, if you can close mic the kick that would really be a good thing, if not this will do just fine.

NOTE: As far as volume levels, place the channel volume half way, and then turn the master volume up until the signal lights are just hitting the yellow lights, this will ensure no clipping or distorted sounds.
    Last edited by DWdrumr; 12-29-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

TheKidd Guest

Aight Fellas. Thanks for everyone helping me out! let me clarify.

I have 5 mics. 4 dynamic and one condenser. Sorry for the mixup!

I placed the Condenser that is straight toward the snare like you guys said. It picks up the snare and gives me that nice jazzy POP sound but still at times sounds distant. I turn the gain up ALOT and turned the volume down some so it picks it up nice and is not really loud.

I put the condenser between the toms and the cymbals giving off a sick sound that is good enough.

the Other condenser by the ride and floors tom (in the center) and believe it or not it works out great.

Now, onto a new problem (but if you can help w. the snare sound too. Still sounds a bit distant). Ok my kick drum. Both ends are closed. I think you call them a "Port Hole". How can I make it so its real close to it. I tried placing the mic by the pedal but not a good sound, then by the front and not a good sound either. So, how would I go about making a port hole? can I just tighten the drum, grab and exacto blade and cut a small mic hole, or will that ruin the sound?

User Info Menu

What kind of mic are you going to use for the kick?

TheKidd Guest

Put it this way. I want it to have a real nice PUNCHY sound. RIght now it sounds like a canon. And is it safe to cut a hole in it?

TheKidd Guest

BTW. What are good eq's for the toms