Thread: I Need Some Cases For The Gretsch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default I Need Some Cases For The Gretsch

...but I don't know anything about them.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have the Gretsch Catalina Maple which is a 6 piece fusion kit with the 8x10 and 9x12 rack toms, the 14x14 and the 16x16 floor toms with an additional 7x8" tom. I also have a 5x14 snare and 18x22 kick. I know Shane has the Humes & Berg ones and likes them, but local stores by me dont have them.

I've never had cases for any of my drums so I dont know which brands are good and which ones suck.

Can anybody chime in to what cases are good, or what you have used and liked/disliked, whatever?

Thanks gang.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 12-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Need Some Cases For The Gretsch

Gig bags are way cheaper if that will do. I prefer hard cases, but most come unpadded so unless you want yer tubs bouncing around inside, you have to provide some foam. I have a Humes and Berg Enduro case for my 18" Mapex kick. I also have standard no name fiber board cases that I custom fitted with foam padding for my 6-piece SONORS. I also have a set of gig bags that I used for years with great results. I use them for my Mapex toms as that's what I have. I am just a little more careful when loading them in my truck.

User Info Menu

Hey CycleDude the only cases worth the money are Hardcase cases. I've used them for 12 years for my drums and their still going strong. As the name says their hardcases, really strong but fairly light too. They have padded foam in the top and bottom sections so once your drum is in there and strapped down its going nowhere. Heck I even stand on mine on the very rare occasion! I have toms with the Pearl Optimount and the I.S.S mounts and they fit in perfectly.

If its soft cases, then Protection Racket would be the best bet. I've never used them for the simple fact that their 'soft'. If your spending big bucks on your kit then I wana put my drums in cases, not bags but hey, thats just my 2 pence worth.

Hope you get sorted out.
    Proud member of the Sabian Squad

www.jacksoncage.com
    www.myspace.com/jacksoncageband

User Info Menu

I have a little differant take on this... I want to protect my drums, so I have Kaces brand soft gig bag cases for my drums. They protect my kit well and they don't tear up the interior of my Suburban either. I think that hard cases would be better protection long term, but also hard on an interior by rubbing against the inside panels leaving perminant scuff marks on them. So I prefer gig bags for what I do. I am really particular about my drums and vehicle, so they seem to be the best of both worlds. With that being said, if I had to put my drums in a band trailer with all of the other equipment to be bounced around then by all means hard cases would be the better option. but just for simple storage and gigging the soft cases have worked really well for me. So I guess one needs to really evaluate what they need and for what application and buy cases that meet their needs.

User Info Menu

C/D I just bought a set that came with full cases(SKB's) and I love them. they are padded inside, light and very durable. I have never owned cases before so this is a bias comment. Having checked out soft cases I did not like them. Check out their site! F/T

User Info Menu

i have humes &burg's with padding ,, they are great cases, i never worry about my drums getting beat up in the truck . my cases are 15 years old ,and still look good as new.

User Info Menu

I use Gator Cases. They are padded sift cases, and I have enjoyed and they have done the job so far.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Just got a set of soft cases (Road Runner) for christmas from GC $99 they semm nice 600 denier, good padding.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input guys. I wanna go to GC and check out some more cases. The gators look like they're good quality.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I have a Gator double pedal case and a Gator Mixer/PA case and they are very well made, I can recomend them!

User Info Menu

CD,
    Not sure if they are available in the US but I bought a set of Profile padded drum bags and they are absolutely awesome...cheap too. I shopped around and nothing even came close to having the same value. I use them for my Renowns and I never worry that they are going to get dinged up. If you are the one transporting and carting your drums in and out then padded bags may be sufficient. If others were handling my drums and could possible knock them off a door jamb or a corner then I'd probably go with a nice padded case. I'll try and post some pics later so you can see what these are like.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash