Thread: Simmons SD7K Review

TheKidd Guest

Default Simmons SD7K Review

While alot of people say the kit sucks, I just don't understand how they can come to such a crazy conclusion.

I got this set a few days ago since it was on sale and I think it is GREAT. There is nothing in the kit that is really that much of a turn off that you could even complain about. The reviews bash the thing and call it horrible, but I don't see why.

The Sound of it all together is awesome. Especially with headphones on. Every drum sounds great. And if you don't like the preset, you can make your own! Not just by setting the drum but tuning each individual one.

The set allows you to set the position of the drum when you hear it through a setting on the drum module. It works by using + or - Numbers. So if you set it to -3. The drum would come through the left earphone and not as much on the right to give you a more realistic kit.

It comes with songs to play along with. My only complaint here is that you can still hear the drum tracks but other than that it is great.

The presets for the drums all together sound awesome. Some are 80's, some are rock and some are just weird. But if you don't like them, as said before. You can make your own and then save it.

Everything seems to be VERY sturdy. Setting it up was not a problem, but I would reccomend having 2 people. I did it by myself but it can be a pain holding all of the arms and legs up by yourself. My only advice - Really open up the hole in the arms and legs and make sure the other arm is really in there before tightening to save you any future trouble.

Lastly, the pads are great. The snare comes with a ring around the outside to simulate a rim, which...actually does make the sound of a rim when you hit it. You can change that too. The pads are sturdy and you can really roll fast on them. I wish they were a bit bigger, but for the price I think they were amazing.

Thats all folks, hope you found this somewhat informative!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simmons SD7K Review

Hey...

you did not say if you were a newbie or coming off of an acoustic set or what, so please take the below comments as simply "additional info in this thread":

I just upgraded from an SD7K to a Roland TD-9. The SD7K was my first e-kit (first drum kit); before that i had a Yam. dd55 for ~6 months or so...

I had the SD7k for ~1 year and, indeed, for the price (i bought mine used for ~$450; just sold it for ~$350) it was a good starter kit for me...

As compared to the Roland it DOES have a few things that the Roland does not... for instance, with the Roland you do not have an option to move the toms easily in the "back/forth" direction (this will be tought to describe, but i'll try...)

with the SD7k i could move a tom ANYWAY i wanted (up/down, side/side, towards me/away from me, tilted left/tilted right, etc... etc...) - WAY many options!!!

with the Roland i have noticed i have at least 1-2 fewer options.... like i cannot really move the toms closer to me, or further away (I have to move my seat - NO LIKE!)...

but, going from the rubber heads of the SD7k to the mesh heads of the TD-9... well.... they are NOT even in the same league!

for a set under $1k.... yes, i think the simmons is a good buy.... but if you have the $ and want more responsive heads, mesh heads is prob they way to go (IMO)...

be well...

- prime