Thread: JTS CX-505's - 4/5 not working?

User Info Menu

Unhappy JTS CX-505's - 4/5 not working?

I'm trying to record to my pc but it's not going well. The mics I'm using are 4 JTS CX-505 dynamics and one JTS NX-2 condenser. The mixer is a 4 channel leem wam-290. The interface is a line 6 gx. The cables, if it makes any difference, are silkroad cmh-20's.

Here's the problem: all 4 dynamic mics are not picking up any sound whatsoever. The condenser does pick up sound, so that means the mixer, interface and cables work fine.

Here's everything I've already tried, so if anyone is going to suggest something, have a good look over this list first:

Googled it. I seem to be the first person in the world that has run across problems with these mics.
    Installed the most up-to-date drivers for the interface, 3.4.3.8 I believe.
    Tried different cables with different mics. Nothing changes, the condenser works fine with every mic.
    Connected one dynamic mic straight to the interface as opposed to the mixer. Nothing. Tried the same with the condenser and the condenser works.
    Specified that windows record with the interface, and playback with my own speakers. The volume for the recording device is at full.
    Tried every recording program imaginable; audacity, pro tools, fl studio, ableton etc.

The volume for each input and the master are at max.

The condenser works in every scenario, never the dynamics.

The mics are in the music store getting "looked at" by their "IT guy". I would have explained that I'm an "IT guy" myself but eh, gives them something to do.

So bearing all that in mind, can anyone help me out?

Edit: oh, and I had to wait a week for this reply. It took that long for the administrators here to verify my account. All the more reason for me to appreciate an answer.
    Last edited by Darren; 12-30-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Bitter :)

User Info Menu

Default Re: JTS CX-505's - 4/5 not working?

Well I ended up figuring it out myself anyway, it's fairly simple. The 4 dynamic mics needed phantom power to work, i.e. 48v, not 9v. The mixer doesn't support phantom so that's getting changed. Sadly the 8 channel mixer I was supposed to be getting supported phantom power. The 4 channel was temporary until the 8 channel came back into stock.

Just thought I'd post that in case anyone else ever had any problems with them.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!

User Info Menu

Hi Darren. Welcome to Drum Chat.

I just now saw this post for the first time.

I was going to ask you about Phantom power but you beat me to the punch.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about the clip on microphones speaking for the 505s?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you talking about the clip on microphones speaking for the 505s?
    I am indeed.