Thread: The Saga of my Switch to E-Drums

User Info Menu

Default The Saga of my Switch to E-Drums

Ok, I loved my Renowns, but too loud to practice for more than a few hour on weekends. I decided to check out the world of e-drumming, and due to my lack of knowledge, I was set on a Dm5. My local Sam Ash, had sent a demo back to the factory and it came back in pieces. No one in the store wanted to put it together so they put a price of 399 on it, No sale, dropped it to 349. No sale again, dropped it to 299 and here’s where I come in.

I traded in my Epi Thunderbird to offset the cost, and snapped it up. As I was learning more about e-kits, I discovered how limited the DM5 is as far as inputs. As I was perusing cl ( a hobby of mine and where the best deals are), I found a Yammie DTXpressII for $460.00. I offered 400 and he accepted. When I got home, I realized I forgot the ps, but it was too far to go back. That same day, a DTXpressIII brain popped up on ebay for $200 on a buy it now. I snapped it up as i knew I could sell the II for $125 or so.

So I get the brain, and I am having a blast, waiting for some missing parts for the DM5 from the factory so I can resell it. About a week later, I see a DTXtremeIIs (does some rudimentary sampling)module on ebay for 425 with no bidders, and BIN was 475. I opened the bidding with a couple days left and ended up winning! So now I have a DTXpressIII module with power supply for sale as well!

Now, you would think I would leave well enough alone for a while, but due to some unforeseen cash (part of the reason for selling the Renowns). I found a guy selling TP120SD, and a PVY150S, so I snapped em up for $240 with attachments. So, if I upgrade the three TP65 toms to TP100, and wait for the price to drop on the used mkt for a DTXtreme III module, I will have a DTXtreme IIIs on a DTXpress II rack! A least close..

Here’s the money breakdown for those interested in such things.

Trade in Thunderbird - $200
    Sell Gretsch Renowns - $1200
    Sell 16 ch mixer - $400

=$1800

Buy DM5 - $300
    Buy DTXpress II kit- $400
    Buy DTXpress III module - $200
    Buy TP 120SD and PCY150S - $240
    Buy DTXtreme IIX module - $425

=$1525

Will Sell
    DTXpress II brain (no ps) $110
    DTXpress III brain w/ps $200
    Dm5 kit $300
    Old 65 series tom pads and 65s snare pad not sure yet what to ask.

=~$600

So that’s the saga, and I will have the Xtreme stuff on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by CharlyG; 01-01-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Saga of my Switch to E-Drums

Great story!

As I just posted over at DTXperience, I'm waiting on Yamaha to see if there's an upgrade to the DTXpress IV announced. If not (or if it's way out of my price range), wheeling and dealing over craigslist and ebay to cobble together something sounds like a fun and cost-effective way to go. I've seen several people who have combined multiple sets and daisy-chained the brains into some pretty amazing kits. I wonder what I could do with a pair of used DTXpress kits...

One way or another, I'm hoping to be ready to pull the trigger by the end of February.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's been an interesting odyssey CharlyG. I'm glad everything is working out as needed. Now you'll be drumming at all hours of the day and night!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: The Saga of my Switch to E-Drums

CharlyG...as always my west coast bro,
    I'm interested in yer journey....
    As it might be da next I take myself...
    Keep me in da loop....and enjoy ...you deserve it!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool story, Charly!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's been fun Charly. My journey was way easier than that. Thought I had my exports sold for $700 so I bought a Roland TD-6 for $500. Buyer for the exports backed out then I sold them to my church for $700. I get to play the exports when I go to church and I get to play the Rolands at home whenever I want..I WIN!!!
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League