Thread: Full Band with the Zoom Q3 - 4 tunes

User Info Menu

Default Full Band with the Zoom Q3 - 4 tunes

I got a chance to use my Zoom Q3 under some decent bar lighting. This camera is amazing for the money and always sounds good, but suffers under low light. There was no editing done other than to normalize the audio track. This is the trio version of my band. Note that the keyboard player is laying down all the bass grooves on top of everything else he's doing.

The kit is a Pearl VSX with Fiberskyns over clear Ambassadors, EMAD on the kick, Genera Dry over Ambassador on the (stock) snare.

Enjoy.

Paul Simon - Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes/Late in the Evening

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RLPcjw94u4"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Paul Simon Medley[/ame]

The Beatles - I've Just Seen a Face

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ns3Tv27iGw"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - I've Just Seen a Face[/ame]

Paul Simon - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzOTi6bZ9A"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover[/ame]

Elton John - Benny and the Jets

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67pmiA1SWoQ"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Benny and the Jets[/ame]
    Last edited by Redeye; 01-02-2010 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Full Band with the Zoom Q3 - 4 tunes

By contrast, here are few from a previous show with minimal lighting. On scene, I could see just fine by the 6 or 8 75watt track lights, but the vids are pretty dark (the tv is plenty bright). The sound is still good, though.

Buffalo Springfield - For what It's Worth (we mess with this one a bit, going shuffle-funk after the 1st verse)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufvAaBsf9I"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - For What It's Worth[/ame]

CSNY - Southern Cross

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBq5GN3tLIc"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Southern Cross[/ame]

Elton John - Daniel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6j3nm5B3tE"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Daniel[/ame]

User Info Menu

Wow. I really enjoyed those. I'd come see you guys!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wow. I really enjoyed those. I'd come see you guys!!
    Thanks. At this point in my semi-pro career, that's about the best compliment I can receive. We play mostly bars, but do a few festivals in the summertime that top out at around 800 attendees. I honestly don't care what the average person thinks of my specific playing, as long as they enjoy what we all do and come back the next time we're in town.

User Info Menu

And another...Beatles Medley (Get Back, With a Little Help from My Friends, Lady Madonna, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, I Want You). We rarely play the last song (I Want You) and have never actually rehearsed it, so it's a bit shaky, sorry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtd-Sm7K7I"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band Beatles Medley[/ame]

User Info Menu

Hey Shane,

Is the lighting as much an issue when it is more uniform? In each of these, there is a bright TV or pool table light. I was wondering if the unit compensates for the brightest thing in the image.

Sounds great though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Hey Shane,

Is the lighting as much an issue when it is more uniform? In each of these, there is a bright TV or pool table light. I was wondering if the unit compensates for the brightest thing in the image.

Sounds great though!
    Under proper lighting it looks very nice, but the max resolution is still only 640x480. Sunlight seems to be the best setting, but that's hard to produce in January in Ohio. It should perform well next summer when we play outside most of the time and with the high school drumline I teach.

The best feature of this camera is it's ease of use. I put in new batteries, mount it on a mic stand, turn it on at the beginning of a set, then turn it off afterward. The final product can be as good as you want depending on how much time you want to spend producing it. I bought Adobe Premiere Elements for $100 to basically clip video, normalize audio, and add titles. For $250 you get great audio with an X/Y mic pair with youtube quality video. Add in $80 for a 32gb card and it was $430 total. Another solution for only a hundred or so more would be a high def camera with an audio input directly from the mixing board (through an aux send), but then you are tethered to the board and have to worry about the safety of your expensive camera on a tripod in a bar. Next year someone will come out with a 1020x768 version with an audio input jack and and a slider for the input level for ONLY $350! I will probably buy it. In the mean time, this one is fun.

Another video that I processed while I was writing this...

Hit The Road Jack (Ray Charles) We never rehearsed this and had only tried it 2 or 3 times before. Not a bad attempt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSfNYNLu5ss"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Hit the Road Jack[/ame]

Larrysperf Guest

I dont care about the lighting I really enjoyed all of your videos. Now thats playing music to listen and dance to. Very nice

User Info Menu

Love that version of Benny and Jets. Better than the original!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scuba200ft View Post
    Love that version of Benny and Jets. Better than the original!
    Thanks scuba. That is one of more popular tunes. I have a couple more that turned out alright from that show. I'll get to them when I get a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Redeye; 01-23-2010 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Shane, I just found this thread, and I am very impressed! I especially like what you guys did with the feel of For What It's Worth. Really cool!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Shane, I just found this thread, and I am very impressed! I especially like what you guys did with the feel of For What It's Worth. Really cool!
    Thanks PB. That one morphed into what it is over the course of a couple of years. Great fun to play.

Here's one more for you all - Cold Shot (Stevie Ray Vaughan)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrmMoTLI6yo"]YouTube- The Will Freed Band - Cold Shot[/ame]

User Info Menu

The guys you play with seem like they'd make it a good time. Great dynamics on your playing Shane! You do a great job of playing to them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

cool tunes, is it a 4 peice? I can hear an electric guitar but I can't see anyone playing it? hahahahah cracks me up when the light goes on and off in the srv tune .

good stuff man enjoyed em, great sound.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    cool tunes, is it a 4 peice? I can hear an electric guitar but I can't see anyone playing it? hahahahah cracks me up when the light goes on and off in the srv tune .

good stuff man enjoyed em, great sound.
    Thanks all. This is actually a 3 piece. My guitar player will be happy. The guitar sound in all of these vids is his acoustic Alvarez through a bunch of pedals. The keyboard player does all the bass playing with his left hand. We have a part time bass guitarist, but he was elsewhere these 2 nights.

I think someone bumped the pool table light in the last one. It's amazing what you can play through when you've been in the bar band scene long enough.

User Info Menu

Really nice playing. I particularly like the little drops onto the tambourine on the first tune.

I enjoyed them as they are, but if you wanted to improve the lighting, make the things you want to watch be the brightest thing on the screen. IE, the camera has an automatic light level control, and is averaging everything out, If it's pointed at a light fitting, or if the TV is brighter than the band, that will look normal, and the band will be too dark.

Overall though, excellent!

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    And another...Beatles Medley (Get Back, With a Little Help from My Friends, Lady Madonna, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, I Want You). We rarely play the last song (I Want You) and have never actually rehearsed it, so it's a bit shaky, sorry.

YouTube- The Will Freed Band Beatles Medley
    That Beatles Medley is fantastic.

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Really nice playing. I particularly like the little drops onto the tambourine on the first tune.

I enjoyed them as they are, but if you wanted to improve the lighting, make the things you want to watch be the brightest thing on the screen. IE, the camera has an automatic light level control, and is averaging everything out, If it's pointed at a light fitting, or if the TV is brighter than the band, that will look normal, and the band will be too dark.

Overall though, excellent!

Andy
    Thanks Andy. This was recorded with the Zoom Q3. I'm not sure what the light level control is for this camera, but i know all low light situations for it are very bad. The big problem I am having with it right now stems from placement. The lens seems to be longer that I expected, so I have to get the camera farther away from us than most bars allow. I also have to keep it out of traffic lanes which compounds the problem. We do have a light rig - I just need to convince the singer to bring it out. Maybe seeing all of these horrible looking vids will light a fire beneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    That Beatles Medley is fantastic.

Mark
    Thanks Mark. It's a toss up between that and the Paul Simon thing for the most fun for me on any given night.

User Info Menu

man i love q3's! you take some really good recordings shane, can't wait to get one of my own sometime in the future. or maybe ill use my minolta in conjunction with an h2 for lighting purposes? what would be your advice?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    man i love q3's! you take some really good recordings shane, can't wait to get one of my own sometime in the future. or maybe ill use my minolta in conjunction with an h2 for lighting purposes? what would be your advice?
    I basically got the Q3 for it's audio qualities and am dealing with the video. If you already have an H2, I would suggest trying to snyc that up with a better quality camera. The Zoom is nice for it's ease of use, though.

User Info Menu

wow great music! looks like you guys have alot of fun. thats what its all about. really enjoyed watching those.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Very nice playing, you have a good band.