Thread: About to get an electric drumset

User Info Menu

Default About to get an electric drumset

Hi, I'm about to get an electric drumset, and i have a few questions.

I think I have decided on the td-9, the one with 1 mesh and 3 rubber pads. If there is something better for the same price or less, that would be good to know.

I have heard many people saying that the td-9 has some sort of special connector which makes it harder to upgrade, so if I ever wanted to upgrade the other 3 pads to mesh, would I be able to do that?

I am also buying an amp, the Simmons DA50 Electronic Drum Set Monitor, if there is also something better than that for $200 please tell me. Also, what cable would I need to connect my drumset to that amp?

Lastly, what is the best pedal I can get for under $90-100?

Thanks for your help guys, this looks like an awesome forum

edit: I just remembered I have another question, is there any way to download/edit the drumset configurations for the set? like would I be able to download new sets onto a usb drive and then use them on the set? or at least just editting them on the computer would be nice.
    Last edited by snico1995; 01-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: About to get an electric drumset

Welcome to Drum Chat snico1995!

I am going to leave your questions for those that are more knowledgeble on e-kits. I have no doubt that they will be along soon.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat snico1995!

I am going to leave your questions for those that are more knowledgeble on e-kits. I have no doubt that they will be along soon.

Again, welcome!
    thank man, hope I get a reply on this, I'm hoping to order all my stuff tomorrow after cashing in my christmas checks at the bank

User Info Menu

It might take a little longer than normal snico, because a lot of our members are doing the same thing you're doing!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snico1995 View Post
    Hi, I'm about to get an electric drumset, and i have a few questions.

I think I have decided on the td-9, the one with 1 mesh and 3 rubber pads. If there is something better for the same price or less, that would be good to know.

I have heard many people saying that the td-9 has some sort of special connector which makes it harder to upgrade, so if I ever wanted to upgrade the other 3 pads to mesh, would I be able to do that?

I am also buying an amp, the Simmons DA50 Electronic Drum Set Monitor, if there is also something better than that for $200 please tell me. Also, what cable would I need to connect my drumset to that amp?

Lastly, what is the best pedal I can get for under $90-100?

Thanks for your help guys, this looks like an awesome forum

edit: I just remembered I have another question, is there any way to download/edit the drumset configurations for the set? like would I be able to download new sets onto a usb drive and then use them on the set? or at least just editting them on the computer would be nice.
    Ok well I'm pretty new to the electronic kits myself, just got a Roland TD-6, but I may be able to answer one or two of your questions. Good choice on the TD-9, I don't think you can find a better kit for that price. Roland is the best in e-drums (or V-drums). I don't know if that controller is able to accept usb input you can check the specs on the Roland website or e-mail them and they could tell you. If you have a music editor, such as Cakewalk, you can use the kit as a MIDI controller if you get a MIDI interface for your computer and it will allow you to play and record with the kits in that program. I'm not sure if you will actually want to change any of the kits that are pre programmed. There are so many different voices to choose from and every pre-programmed kit can be edited.

I'm not sure about any special connectors that would make upgrading a problem. I thought all of the drums plugged in with a standard 1/4" cable. The only problem I would see is if the stock tom heads are single zone and you upgrade them to a dual zone head, you'll need to switch out to a dual zone cable (that is actually just a 1/4" stereo cable. Or order cables for a dual zone trigger.

To connect to the amp you should only need a regular amp cable, such as one that you would use for a guitar. I'm not sure about the amp you mentioned either. I just have an old 300 watt bass amp that I use. It doesn't have good clarity but it works. I usually just use good headphones unless I want someone else to hear something I'm working on.

As far as your pedal...just remember you get what you pay for. I know pearl makes a 900 series pedal that is less than 100 bux. But you can always upgrade that later or look for a better quality pedal used somewhere.

Hope this helps and just so you know you can't get any better sound quality than Roland. I've seen how they record the sounds that they use for their V-drums and it's amazing.

Good luck.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

awesome, thanks for all your help guys!

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome

Perhaps too late, but here are my thoughts and comments.

The TD-9 uses a scart to jacks lead while the other main main Roland modules uses jack to jack.
    That is not a problem though.

People voice concern a) what if they lose the lead and b) what if it fails.
    I've yet to hear of one fail and a spare is only about $50 or so bucks.

If there was any way to stretch to a TD-9 with all mesh heads, it really would be a better long term investment.
    Even a used one will be 100% fine if the owner has treated it well.

The TD-9 module is one of the best out there with some great facilities.
    The Scope for timing, quick record & playback and real sampled band sounds.

I've been fortunate to own all Roland's recent modules and I still rate it very highly indeed.

Any other questions, just let me know.

All the best, happy new year and have fun!
    Last edited by Cuban; 01-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

ok guys I just ordered it! I got a great deal, it was $1,300, no tax, 15% off, and $4 shipping, the 15% off was because i got 3 or more things, i just got a cheap cable i needed, and a bass drum beater.

the drumset (td-9) came out to $1126.65, waaaay less than i had planned on paying for it.

thanks again for all of your help!

User Info Menu

I have the TD-9 S/K kit and love it.

You can upgrade any of the pads and it comes with a jack for a 3 trigger cymbal. The connector is not an issue in pad upgrades, it's just a very clean way to connect all the trigger inputs to the module. The trigger end of the cables is a standard connector.

You can also easily add 2 more dual trigger pads; I have added an extra cymbal.

I use an Alesis Transactive PA amp. It's about the same street price as the Simmons and has a battery pack, iPod dock and inputs for 2 more instruments. I use a stereo connection to the stereo input. I don't know what inputs the Simmons can handle.

You can upgrade to mesh pads on the TD-9 S/K and still be better off monetarily than going up to the SX kit. So, do it at your own pace.

User Info Menu

I just set up/got a TD-9 and have to say its awesome! My first step will be to get a proper ride cymbal. Is the extra wire from the connector for a three way trigger cymbal?

User Info Menu

I personally did not enjoy the TD-9 and for about 300 bucks less if you shop around you can get the Yamaha dtxtreme iii special , 6 piece drum set up with 4 cymbals for 2200- 2300. They have all 3 zone drum and cymbal pads and I think the sound quality and feel is much better.

No offense to anyone who has TD-9 but when I played it, I thought it felt like a toy and not a 2600 dollar instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    I personally did not enjoy the TD-9 and for about 300 bucks less if you shop around you can get the Yamaha dtxtreme iii special , 6 piece drum set up with 4 cymbals for 2200- 2300. They have all 3 zone drum and cymbal pads and I think the sound quality and feel is much better.

No offense to anyone who has TD-9 but when I played it, I thought it felt like a toy and not a 2600 dollar instrument.
    I would agree with you except I only paid $1100 (new). I have the TD-9K. No offense but that's significantly less than you paid and if I paid that much I'd expect to have something MUCH nicer than the TD9K - true.

User Info Menu

It may have been the TD 12 , but either way that is more expensive than TD 9 and supposedly better. I didn't buy either of them, I was trying them out at the music store.

User Info Menu

I had this decision to make, and I plumped up a few hundred extra and got the Yamaha DTXtreme III - a far superior machine IMO.

Don't get me wrong, the TD9 isn't a bad kit at all, but the Yamaha is just so much better in terms of sounds and features. If you can live without mesh and can get hold of one (they've just been superseded) , I'd go for that .

User Info Menu

I actually don't mind the rubber. My kit only has a mesh snare trigger. I know many people don't like the feel but its been such a long time since I played an acoustic kit I don't miss the difference.