Thread: Voice Layering

User Info Menu

Default Voice Layering

As I am learning all the cool stuff i will be able to do when the DTXtreme IIs module gets here Wed, I find out about layering voices on the Yamaha. I assume Roland has a similar feature.

Basically you have 6 layers you can set on the snare drum and if I understand it correctly, I could set these for soft, med and hard velocity, which means I can alter the voice of the instrument by how hard I hit it, just like an acoustic kinda.

If there is no interest at Drumchat, I can pick this up on one of the edrum sites, but if there is interest, we can learn together! I don't want to go into it much further here if no one cares.

So chime in, or at least express interest, and we can be off on our journey.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Voice Layering

Well, I can see that this may not be the forum for this discussion. I have gotten a little better understanding from other sites since I posted.

You need both voice layering and velocity sensing to make it sound real when you hit harder or softer. You need to change the voices in the layering so there is a measurable difference in tone as well as volume at different velocities.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Voice Layering

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    As I am learning all the cool stuff i will be able to do when the DTXtreme IIs module gets here Wed, I find out about layering voices on the Yamaha. I assume Roland has a similar feature.

Basically you have 6 layers you can set on the snare drum and if I understand it correctly, I could set these for soft, med and hard velocity, which means I can alter the voice of the instrument by how hard I hit it, just like an acoustic kinda.
    Hey CharlyG....actually you cannot layer (i.e., stack) sounds on roland modules...this is something exclusive to the yamaha module...although I do believe older Ddrum modules allowed this as well.....in place of stacking roland offers something called positional sensing and interval control...and yes the idea behind stacking/layering sounds is that you can set different sounds (soft, medium, hard) to come in at different velocities...another nice feature of the yamaha module is its sampling capability..it allows you to record your own drum/cymbal sounds into the module if you like......I believe there is an older video tutorial over at dtxperience on this feature and they use the IIS module in it...