Thread: That calf muscle

User Info Menu

Default That calf muscle

So what do you do to stretch or soothe that one calf muscle that gets the extra workout from the beater? Any advice, websites, exercises?

THANKS!

User Info Menu

i usually stretch out everything b4 i start playing just to warm up and loosen up, and i always play better when i do that--

for my calves i just sit on the ground, and put one leg str8 out and the other in and reach for your toes, that one has helped my calf out alot, and i can def tell the difference between my bass leg and my hi hat leg, my bass leg is always tighter

hope that helps!

User Info Menu

The calf and the achilles tendon are very important muscles for drumming. Doing calf exercises and building up the calf and toe strength and coordernation will greatly assist a drummer, especially one who likes playing double bass.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I agree. I don't believe there is a "drum specific" exercise. Anything to stretch the offending muscles should work.

User Info Menu

I had that problem too, its kinda like snowboarding when you go down a hill backwards on ur toes... {i do that alot when im boarding, its fun!!!!} it hurts. i had that same problem from the beater, so i just stretch it out a little bit before practicing.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

ummm....weird but i started doig this n the shower after a long days work whe i was sore but ive recently started doing just before i start playing as well...stand about three feet from a wall..( adjust distace for height accomadations) and just lean forwards and catch yourtself on the wall...keep your feet flat and it'll stech the back of you legs...the lower quads yor entire calf and your tendons...very helpful...i find DB easier after doing this..however if your old...dont try this alone!!!...lol..j/k guys
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

For me it's take your left or right leg, (doesn't matter) and grasp it with your hand so that it almost touches your back, hold it for ten to thirty seconds. But keep your balance or else you'll fall. I do this at my lacrosse team's practice, we call it quads.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Cool That calf muscle

Great suggestions, everyone!

Whichever you choose, don't rush the stretchin'...and don't bounce when you're stretchin'...

otherwise, it's gonna hurt like...

btw, chiko, old dudes like the 'bro need more stretchin' than younger dudes like you!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ain't that the truth, BB! I usually stretch for about 10 minutes before I play. I broke my collarbone and tore my rotator cuff once and that shoulder needs to be well stretched out before I play or I'm really gonna' feel it the next morning.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

here's my calf muscle secret:

you go into the kitchen, find the biggest , sharpest knife you can, then cut your achilles tendon. Your bass foot will be so loose its rediculous!

User Info Menu

lol
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Do what i do, point your toes down, and use your thighs until your calfs feel ok, but i really dont have that problem, then again, by the sports positions i play, i have strong legs, and i have gym before i come home, so im warmed up to play

User Info Menu

Standing flat on your feet and then raising to standing on your tippi-toes and then lowering yourself slowly again to just standing on your feet flat is a pretty good stretch.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I love working out my calves and (forarms) at the gym!! I use the calf machine and do standing calf raises with 150 pounds (3 sets of 10). For my forarms, I do finger & wrist curls with 35-40 pounds (3 sets of 10).
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

rest it duh

User Info Menu

I've only really just started stretching before I play drums, it's amazing the difference it makes in your speed and accuracy. My double kicks are a lot cleaner and more accurate after stretching than without.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Drink lots of water, too. Lubrication!
    i must be the only hip hop fan here