Thread: micing drums

Larrysperf Guest

Default micing drums

Heres what I have so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: micing drums

looks good, if a bit blurry that first one, and nice set up may i add, loving the DW rack
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

Larrysperf Guest

Yea sorry camera phone so not very good. Plus I have changed stuff around now have condenser mics (thanks Charly) for overheads. Charly Funkyruss and Dwdrumr have been big help

Larrysperf Guest

Heres some better pictures, I hope
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

First of all this is just my observation, and there are many seasoned studio drummers on this site that may be able to help.
    It looks like you have 4 mics. Regardless of what type at this point.
    Take your dynamic mics and put them on your snare and kick. Take the other mics and raise them over your set left and right in a XY position. That way you will pick up your whole set. Cymbals and toms. You can mix your set accordingly.
    It is best to have Condensers on the overheads L & R . Dynamic mics on the snare and kick.
    But,, I have heard great recordings with sm 57's and 58's on drums.
    Earthworks has a nice 3 mic drum set up but very pricey.
    You can get great drum sounds from any number of decent mics that do not cost a fortune. I know people who have recorded hit records useng just 57's. Experiment on placement but this template will work for 4 mic set up.
    Last edited by VIbes; 01-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

Larrysperf Guest

Overhead is condenser mic and rest are dynamic for now this is what I am going with have more mics on the way Shure 57

User Info Menu

Hello Larry,
    Good for you to venture into recording. First thing I notice that would improve you recording would be acoustic treatment on the walls. It looks like the room is square and slightly confined which will cause slap back echo, wash and bass build up. The room will cause quite a bit of phasing issues when you record. By taming your room you will be far ahead. I am not sure how for forward the room goes but pulling your kit away from the wall a little more will help as well. Anyway, experiment with mic position and preamp settings and post up when you get a chance.

User Info Menu

Not to thread jack...
    I'm still a kick mic and a mixer away from being able to do a 4 mic Glyn Johns type setup. However, last night I gave the recorderman method a shot. I was able to get a sound that was pretty much like what you hear from your throne using just a pair of condensers (Audio Technica AT2020s) running to my interface. Panning about 70% gave a great stereo image. I just thought I'd throw it out there for anybody on a tight budget.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Not to thread jack...
    I'm still a kick mic and a mixer away from being able to do a 4 mic Glyn Johns type setup. However, last night I gave the recorderman method a shot. I was able to get a sound that was pretty much like what you hear from your throne using just a pair of condensers (Audio Technica AT2020s) running to my interface. Panning about 70% gave a great stereo image. I just thought I'd throw it out there for anybody on a tight budget.
    Yay! Somebody else who's heard of Glyn Johns! I used his method using 4 mics-sample of which is somewhere in this very topic of recording drums!

User Info Menu

Glyn Johns recorded some of the greats; John Bonham comes to mind. It's really amazing how big of a sound he got from 4 mics. It was certainly enough to convince me that you don't have to spot mic every element on your kit.
    Mmm... Saturns.

Larrysperf Guest

Hey all input is good. Thanks for sharing as I am learning as I go along