Thread: Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Rudiments

I'm cracking on with my Rudiments, Something i can do whilst not at my kit.

I saw this when i still was having lessons, Anyone seen it or used it?

Cheers Mark

rudiments.jpg
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rudiments

I've ordered it by the way.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Mark, when I restarted my playing about a year or so ago,one of the 1st things that I did was realize that the rudiments were the key for me to be able to get some of my chops back. After browsing the web for hours I stumbled upon Drumchat and the some of the offerings they had, including some free lessons and such. I made copies of the rudiments and was off to the races so to speak. Everyone has their own opinion on how to use rudiments in their playing, but in my own humble opinion, rudiments are all about discipline. The best comparison I can give is with the martial arts in that alot of what you do is that the physical part follows the mental part. You start slow,your mind telling you what to do as your hands follow that lead. Then, over time, it becomes more automatic, more physical muscle memory, getting to the point that it's second nature for you to do paradiddles in 32nd notes. (Gawd, I jus love dem paradiddles) It's all about discipline and control for me, and using the rudiments to make yourself a more complete drummer, musician and artist.

User Info Menu

I almost don't dare to draw attention to this little book because in one of my first posts I got busted for inserting a link to the commercial site. However, IMO I think this book deserves more publicity. It comes with a CD and contains 33 play along pieces each featuring a particular rudiment (in two different tempi). The tunes are played on two pipes and they are extremely nice. It is much fun to practice your rudiments in this way. Not just banging away your paradiddles on the pad but practice them in a more musical way. Only drawback is that the book is published in German (it doesn't matter; if you can read notes, you will be ok) and might be hard to get overseas.

The book is called "33 Uebungen fuer 2 Piccolo-Floeten und Snare Drum" (33 excercises for 2 pipes and snare drum) by Juergen Peiffer. ISBN 3-937303-04-9

Drums and Pipes.jpg

User Info Menu

That's a good reference book to use while learning your rudiments. However, since I played rudimental/marching percussion for the 4 or 5 years, I found the book Rudimental Logic by Bill Bachman very helpful to me.

It focuses on the standard 40 rudiments and breaks each one down and shows how to incorporate it into your playing. It even goes into more modern hybrid rudiments.

While this book is aimed towards rudimental/marching percussionists, the information that it offers can easily be transferred over to drum set playing.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Hey there,

It's good to check out heaps of different books from different authors, as they all give their own perspectives on rudiments and the approach to them. I'd recommend practising rudiments primarily on a dead surface like a pillow or even your leg. And make sure they are clean. This means when you apply them to the kit, they sound fluent, clear and they are easy to pull off with the rebound of the skins/ cymbals.

Anyway, you should DEFINITELY check out a book called "The All-American Drummer" by Charlie Wilcoxon. It has 150 rudimental solos and it just brings all the rudiments together. For me it was the step between knowing the rudiments and then mixing and applying them all around the kit.

User Info Menu

I am VERY new to drumming.

I got the Drum Rudiment System from Railroad Media. A bit hard to follow for someone so novice, but I have learned quite a few things.

Admittedly, learning simple things such as single and double stroke rolls, xfill, paradiddle has kept me inspired enough to keep trying.

I work on those every practice session.

User Info Menu

ted reeds sycompation frickn gold

User Info Menu

I have that book!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered