Thread: Beater chatter

User Info Menu

Default Beater chatter

I seem to get a lot of multple hits (rebound) or chatter on stiking the bass batter head.
    I had been using a practice pad and I recently got a kit. I have the pedal tension fairly light. I suspect I have the batter head too tight. I know there are a lot of variables to this including tuning, as well as how hard I stike the batter head, and pedal tension. I will factor in probably poor technique as well. Heel up-btw

I am not striking real hard to keep the level down, but since I am learning I think I would not have the need for heavy strikes at this point. At the same time from a general standpoint not sure if I have something messed up, I don't know should I expect to determine that, (noob).

Any thoughts in this area?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beater chatter

Do you have muffling inside the drum? I have been playing for more than a few years and when I went away from the pillow in the drum to a more resonant sound, I had / have the same issue. I have been working on letting the beater rebound off of the head rather than pressing in after a stroke. Try it slowly and lots of repetitions. Try to pull a good tone out of the drum without worrying about speed just yet. Practice this technique until it begins to feel natural, then play more complex grooves.

Best of luck.

User Info Menu

I've experienced this before and found my problem to be the angle of the batter head. My spurs were extended just slightly too much causing the head to be at less than a 90 degree angle. The beater was not hitting the head directly causing it to bounce a little and vibrate with every strike. This may not be your problem as there are multiple factors that could be causing it, but something you might want to check out.

User Info Menu

Some good points.

I have a pillow stuffed in there.

I will check the spurs/angle

I might be leaving it buried to long or hesitating when buried and therefore the dribble.. instead of a clean pop.

Thanks for the help

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coronet_500 View Post
    Some good points.

I have a pillow stuffed in there.

I will check the spurs/angle

I might be leaving it buried to long or hesitating when buried and therefore the dribble.. instead of a clean pop.

Thanks for the help
    Muscle memory excercises will help with the ghost notes from your bass drum pedal. Try doing 16th notes (1 e and a) between your HH pedal and your bass drum pedal. If you have a metronome start out at a slow bpm and work the 16th note single stroke pattern until there's no ghost notes. Increase your bpm until the 16th note fall apart or you start to hear the ghost notes then back off a bit on the bpm until you get it smooth again.

I still have ghost notes on my double bass pedal (left foot) because I'm really weak in muscle memory control in my left leg and foot. I just recently started using double pedal and or second bass drum. As I progress further in bpm and muscle memory excercises, I can slowly hear cleaner bass drum notes from my weaker left foot. Good luck!

late8

User Info Menu

It just takes practice.

BTW lets see a pic of the car

User Info Menu

I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a Dave Weckyl video and he talked about (as was mentioned earlier) placing the bass with the front legs at the right angle. You don't want your batter to be hitting square on. This helped me out alot. What helped more was buying a DW 5000 pedal and practicing like crazy. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Thats another good idea. Thanks.

Come to think of it, sometimes with the hat I throw myself off balance. The hat portion I am starting off at ground zero- no clue. I been beating a practice pad for little over a year for the bass pedal so I have a little muscle memory but doing this stuff on the real thing is not the same. There were no expectations here that it would-

I was kind of wondering if I had something set up wrong - So I thought I would check here, but I think that now 100% percent of this is just me and practice will rectify soon enough.

Thanks for the tips