Thread: Drum Stacking ...

User Info Menu

Default Drum Stacking ...

I've always wondered if stacking the drums for a long period of time damages the heads. That is, when you stack the drums where the bottom is the BD and the smallest drum is at the top, I would imagine that there is this constant pressure on the heads holding up the drums above it. What do you think ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Stacking ...

No, I don't think so.

User Info Menu

as long as it's largest drum to smallest drum the weight distribution should be under control. it would be horrible though if you stacked smallest to biggest, as the weight and pressure would be very high. it's a great space saver
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Wont hurt anything.

User Info Menu

But can knock the heads out of tune! That's happened to me a few times, but no harm no foul.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

But it does look really cool...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    But can knock the heads out of tune! That's happened to me a few times, but no harm no foul.
    so that's why drums at shops sound so bad..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well, that and the schmoes who work there don't give a rip about tuning them...

User Info Menu

I am going to disagree here. I can't see how putting the weight of your entire drumset on one bass drum head could not stretch it to the point of uselessness. When I stack a kit, I put thin boards (left over from a flooring project) between each drum, so it's basically the rims that take the pressure. At the very least, I would stack them resonant side up so you are not damaging good batter heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I am going to disagree here. I can't see how putting the weight of your entire drumset on one bass drum head could not stretch it to the point of uselessness. When I stack a kit, I put thin boards (left over from a flooring project) between each drum, so it's basically the rims that take the pressure. At the very least, I would stack them resonant side up so you are not damaging good batter heads.
    Good point. Sounds like basic physics to me. Put something heavy on a surface that gives and over time that surface conforms and stretches to the force of whatever weight is present. Not to mention the strain on the bearing edges of all the drums also.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Right on, Shane and Wolvie....that's my thinking also. Ya know, that's a really good idea you got there, Shane, with using the thin boards...I'll give that a shot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    So now instead of spreading the weight over the entire surface area of the head, your putting it all on the the tiny hoop of the head, because thats what supports your rims. As for the reso heads they are generally thinner than your batter heads. Heads are extremely tough and durable. You can stand on your head without hurting it or you drum, but standing on the rim could tear your hoops of your heads..

User Info Menu

I don't think it hurts anything other than tunning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    So now instead of spreading the weight over the entire surface area of the head, your putting it all on the the tiny hoop of the head, because thats what supports your rims. As for the reso heads they are generally thinner than your batter heads. Heads are extremely tough and durable. You can stand on your head without hurting it or you drum, but standing on the rim could tear your hoops of your heads..
    Good point, Northern. Anyway, I do agree that stacking on the heads will not damage the head as they are very durable. However, I also agree that it may throw the drum out of tune...which is good enough reason for me to not do it.
    Last edited by nio; 01-13-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: hmmm...more thinking...

User Info Menu

Maybe a controlled environment experiment is warranted?

User Info Menu

I try not to do this, worried "just in case" something happened to my kit.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    I try not to do this, worried "just in case" something happened to my kit.
    I agree, I'd be more worried about knocking over the stack than I would about the heads going out of tune. Anytime you have a drumset stored over time you will have to retune anyways.