Thread: drummer, for three weeks

frquent flyer Guest

Default drummer, for three weeks

Ive been drumming three weeks. I didn't waste much time in ordering good congas. I have purchased two LP galaxcys,a conga and a tumba.I also have an older Toca in good shape. Tuning question. I have the toca at "C",the galaxcy at "A" and the tumba at "F" which makes an "F"chord. Is that tuning OK ?It sounds pretty good as I play along with "Conga JOY" #2.I have had no lessons.Are they a good idea for such a new drummer or can I wait and learn on my own. Any ideas are appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: drummer, for three weeks

Welcome to the forum, i can't help with you questions i'm afraid, someone will be on soon who can.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat frquent flyer!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: drummer, for three weeks

Welcome aboard frquent flyer! As you've already discovered, you have a lot of brother congueros ready to help you! As to your purchases, I think you've already spoiled yourself with the Galaxy conga and tumba !

I don't know if you've literally started drumming with the congas, but while some of our number have learned through trial and error, I'd at least review the rudiments; it'll give you a good base to start.

If you can find a teacher who knows hand drums, so much the better!

All I can add is shown below in my signature, bro'--
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome Frequent Flyer!!!!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=frquent flyer;258467] Is that tuning OK ?It sounds pretty good as I play along with "Conga JOY"

First off. The drums youre starting with are (explicative,which ever you prefer) awesome!! If what you have them tuned to sounds good to you then thats the best sound you can get. The only person you need to please is yourself. I play a lot with tuning. My setup is requinto, quinto and tumba. Or 9-1/2, 11-1/4 and 12-1/4, respectively.
    You'll find different players work with different tonal ranges. while using similar size drums.
    Cheers

frquent flyer Guest

I can see wanting a requento down the line aways,after I pay extensive dental bills. I am definitely happy with my drums and glad I am able to get them.I had some teenagers over yesterday with their parents. The youngest,13 was able to get the idea of how to play the conga really quickly. Seems we all got started by drumming our desks at school or hitting pots and pans or even garbage cans.