Thread: New to drumming, seeking some guidance

User Info Menu

Default New to drumming, seeking some guidance

Hello all. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now. This seems like a very friendly site, with very little flaming and foolishness. You guys are doing a lot of good stuff here!

I have been a bassist for about 25 years, and played guitar prior to that, so I am fairly familiar with many aspects of music.

Last month, I decided to try and learn how to play drums.

I have a Pearl Rhythm Traveler set and there's also a Tama set in my studio that belongs to a friend.

So far, I've picked up a couple of Tommy Igoe's DVDs and some instructional books (Everything Drums Book, Mel Bay's Bues Drums Method and Blues Drums Basics to name a few).

I also practice rudiments on a daily basis from the Vic Firth site, as well as starting to work through Mark Wessels' beginner lessons on the same site. I've been pretty shy about asking the drummers I play with for tips, so thought I'd bring some questions here and exploit the relative anonymity of the internet.

I have the basic rock and shuffle beats down pretty well, but have a lot of problems 'feeling' when to start and end fills as well as keeping or falling back into a steady tempo when doing something outside the basic beat.

Any suggestions? Any suggested practice regimens? Any particular order or milestones as far as learning/practicing rudiments?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat LDS! You are right about the lack of flaming around here. We do kid each other sometimes, but it is all meant in good fun. The bottom line is that we respect each other, and understand that we are all at different places in our drumming journeys, and each is drumming for a different reason. So feel free to ask away, and know that we will all do our best to help you out in any way we can.

As far as "feeling the fill" goes, that will be a process that gets clearer as you play. By that, I mean that opportunities for fills will naturally come up in the flow of the music, but the fills can be of differing length. Listen to the drums in music, and count to get a feel for how fills will fit in. Once you start getting that feel (and it just takes a while, although maybe not so long with you since you have the musical background), and begin understanding what fills will fit where, you will be well on your way. It really is about knowing where you are in a measure, how many beats you have left to work with, and then whether you are filling with 16ths, 8ths, or a combination of those. If you are doing 8ths on the hi-hats, then you can come out of the fill by hitting a crash cymbal on the first beat of the measure, and then back on the hi-hat on the &. Of course, this is just an example, and there are lots of variations.

Hope that helps some.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to drumming, seeking some guidance

Thanks!!!

I've got a good idea where to put the fills, but am lacking the prowess to do so. It's so close to the passing notes and stuff I do on the bass, but I've been playing bass so long it just sort of 'happens' without having to think about it. I think you're right on the money about what's throwing me off - I lose track of the measures. That, and ending the fill on the one of the next measure is a bit different from what I do on bass, I usually try to wrap it up no later than the last 'uh' of the measure so as to be able to drop right back into the pocket at the beginning of the next measure.

User Info Menu

Look into getting a drum teacher. In my opinion that is the absolute best thing a new drummer can do. It's worth every penny you spend on it too.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree more about the drum teacher. It will really help kick start your playing and help avoid forming any bad habits. Don't forget to check out the free resources right here at Drum Chat. There's the drum lessons videos ("Drum Videos" link at the top) and if you click on "Drum Links" at the top of the screen, there are a lot of good resource sites to check out that don't cost anything.

Welcome to our family! Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

User Info Menu

i don't know if this helps you, but the first couple things i learned was posture and the right way to hold sticks. once i learned that i took on reading sheet music and tablature. welcome to the forums by the way great to have you aboard!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i don't know if this helps you, but the first couple things i learned was posture and the right way to hold sticks. once i learned that i took on reading sheet music and tablature. welcome to the forums by the way great to have you aboard!
    I second this. LDS, I am exactly the same boat as you. Have been playing Bass for +/- 25 years as well, and have always fiddled on the drums during practice with the band. A few weeks back I saw a video on a website where they were covering the basics on how to hold the sticks. Needless to say I was doing it all wrong, and the minute I applied what I learned, things became much smoother...such as coming off the high hat to start a fill, as well as being able to control the sticks better in general. It was a small change that paid enormous dividends.

Being a newb on this site as well, all I have gotten thus far from the members here is a warm welcome and great advice, nothing less. From one newb to another, welcome.

User Info Menu

I agree with a teacher as well. While online drum lessons are great ( I use them frequently), a teacher in the beginning is a great way to avoid bad habits such as grip and posture. Welcome to Drum Chat BTW!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board LDS.

I also say get a teacher even if for onlly a couple months so you dont pick up bad habits.

You already know how to keep time on the bass and drums should come naturally to you I would think.There are thing you wont get from a book and need too hear it from the teacher.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Good point on the professional instruction. I teach motorcycle classes at several levels (from beginning riders all the way to track days), and it's amazing how many bad habits the self-taught have. I guess a good analogy to holding the sticks would be people who want to keep their index finger on the throttle while using the front brake - bad, bad, bad habit but it feels secure and seems logical to a beginner.

Any words of wisdom on picking a teacher?

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC, LDS!! I started out in a Competition Drum Corps in high school, and did not transfer that over to the kit until 3 years after. I agree with the teacher posts. Stick levels, elbow heigth and angle, all of that technical stuff is KEY FOUNDATION for learning the basics. If you start off with bad habits, they will most definately hinder your progress. As far as fills go, be PATIENT my friend. It will come to you. The quote I love to use, "funk isnt WHAT you play, but what you DONT play"...........Good Luck, Happy Holidays!!
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I definately agree with this. I am in the same boat as you, 25+/- years playing bass, and have just converted to drums. I saw a video of a guy who was teaching how to properly hold sticks, and the minute I made that change, my drumming improved quite a bit.

We share quite a lot in common: bass, drums, and motorcycles.

From one newb to another, welcome !!

User Info Menu

besides all the other advice

find someone to jam with regularly

User Info Menu

welcome home brother

it like family arround here

enjoy your stay

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    besides all the other advice

find someone to jam with regularly
    Got that one covered. My little hobby studio stays fairly busy, and it seems like every session begins and ends with a little open jamming. I've only been bold enough to get behind the drums once, though when one group's drummer was running really late, they needed just a basic beat to help work out some parts for a new tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    We share quite a lot in common: bass, drums, and motorcycles.
    Very cool. Trying to learn to play drums has given me a whole new appreciation for the coordination issues experienced by my beginning motorcycle students.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LDS View Post
    Very cool. Trying to learn to play drums has given me a whole new appreciation for the coordination issues experienced by my beginning motorcycle students.
    Just pretend the high hat is the clutch, the snare as the gas, and the bass drum as the rear brake, and you'll be good to go.

( just try and use the Bass drum more than guys use the rear brakes on a track bike)

User Info Menu

I pretty much agree with everything everyone has said get a teacher..

paraphrasing what I have learned on fills start with something short .. on the 4 play "e and a" just on the snare to get the fill .. i like what PB said about hitting the one on the following measure on your crash.. .. than move this "e and a" around the kit a little when your comfortable with tthat move it back an 8th IE: play the "4 e and a" on the snare .. than move it around than take it back a little more "a 4 e & a" and so on and so forth .. so you always know just where the next measure is starting.. hope this made a little sense.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

hey LDS, welcome!! the only thing I wanted to add to the other great advise is, when you practice, and get a beat going, start add a "fill" at different times and stay on beat, practice that, mix it up a bit, and see how it effects where you go on your next "hit" that makes a smoothe transition. enjoy the music.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, keep it coming! It's all helpful and valuable.

Beginning the search for a teacher. Anyone have any recommendations in the Nashville area?

User Info Menu

welcome.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

OK, it turns out that one of the guys I've been recording is a very good drummer. I didn't know that because all I've seen him do in the past is guitar and bass. Anyway, the last couple of times he's been over to record, he's given me some pointers on drumming. It seems to be helping quite a bit.

I'm thinking about getting one of the electronic practice pads, either the Roland or the newer Alesis. Anyone have a recommendation?

User Info Menu

Hey there, LDS

To answer your most recent question, definitely go for the Roland. Roland's rhythm coaches feel better and more 'natural' than Alesis ones do, and they have more capabilities overall. You will be paying more money, but its worth it - you need something precise and capable when it comes to something like a rhythm coach. Depending on what you're after, there are a couple of rhythm coaches by roland to look at:

I hope that helps.