Thread: question

User Info Menu

Default question

are there any cons to playing the hi hat with your left hand? (I'm right handed). It's more comfortable for me...I rarely cross-over with my right hand for the hi hat.

User Info Menu

Default Re: question

The ability to cross over will help you further down the road with speed and when you are doing rolls and such. F/T

User Info Menu

It's called playing open-handed, and lots of people do it.
    Matt

User Info Menu

All Lefty drummers switch everything (Trust me. I'm a righty and I've played a lefty set). Like everything's on the other side.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

justinsm, Carter Beauford plays open-handed, and Dennis Chambers plays open-handed at times. If it's comfortable to play open-handed, go ahead and play that way. You will have to overcome challenges because of that style, but challenges come with any "style." Why not learn to play open-handed, and cross-handed?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Why not learn to play open-handed, and cross-handed?
    Exactly. This would make you incredibly versatile in terms of being able to play anyone's kit, whether they're a righty or a lefty. For me, I unfortunately only learned cross-handed, and since I'm a lefty I have to switch around a kit in order to play it most of the time (unless it's mine )
    Matt

User Info Menu

yeah i try to 'cross over' as much as I can, and its not a problem for me to play like that; I'm fine playing either way, 'open-handed' as you've called it is just more comfortable for me I guess.

User Info Menu

Dito to other comments. Also being able to play open hand will allow you to play over toms easier while keeping time with the hats.

User Info Menu

Openhanded is a skill normally hard learned, your lucky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    I tried this after seeing something on utube, it was very tough to do..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    I tried this after seeing something on utube, it was very tough to do..
    Yep. I struggle when I try it. There are one or two songs I play that require it, so I've learned it for those songs, but no so much as a separate skill. I am envious.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I play both depending on the situation, often times I will ride on the bell or the ride or a cowbell with the right hand and play on the hat with the left. It would certainly be beneficial to learn and practice both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    I agree with CGE.........most people find it aukward and have trouble learning how to play that way. Consider it a gift and work with it.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

awesome. thanks for the replies everyone. i knew that it was more comfortable open-handed, and that there were bound to be something else that I would need to work on...I guess for me its to work on cross-handed playing

User Info Menu

I am a cross-over player and wish I can be just as comfortable playing open-handed sometimes. So, I see it as an advantage. Go for it !

User Info Menu

See Cobham, Billy ('nuff said).

I was learning a new song the other day and wanted to keep the 1/16th notes going on the HH and add 1/4 notes on the bell of the ride (it was a slower tempo song). It was so easy and natural. I thought my right foot would suffer from the redirect of the brain functions but it remained solid.

User Info Menu

I am left handed and play right-handed, left-handed, and open handed and switch frequently between them during live shows. It is all about comfort and practice. Find what comes naturally and then practice it.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Simon Phillips does as well.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

I'm strongly right handed but due to an injury my right foot (the bass foot) is slow so I reversed my kit so my left foot drives the bass. I play hats with my right hand and snare with left as if open (same hands as crossed). Toms run right to left i.e. 8, 10, 12, 16 so fills work the same but reversed. The only draw back is the speed lost from crossed hat to mounted tom but that worked itself out. God, I hope that makes sense.

Go with what's comfortable for you. If you fight your natural body flow, your playing will suffer. You'll know what your coordination will allow or not.

EDIT TO ADD: There is no right or wrong way to play, just your way.
    Last edited by Ribkick; 01-08-2010 at 09:27 PM.