Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: all metal

User Info Menu

Default all metal

I've ditched all my sissy riffs and songs and turned into an all metal drummer. NO MORE GREEN DAY, OR CHILLI PEPPERS. Now it's Lamb of God, Slayer, Metallica, Mastodon, Chimera, Korn, Slipknot, Pantera. all hail metal!
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

ewwww

and RHCP is not sissy
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

one cannot become metal over night. the metal community will spot and eat a poser on sight. it is more metal to stand up and say you like greenday then it is to just up and say your all of a sudden a metal head now.

User Info Menu

Your preference is up to you and your business but by opening yourself to more than one genre of music you might find a fill or a beat in another genre that you may not particularly care for that you can utilize and play in your metal drumming. Just more tools in the toolbox right?
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I"m just not a metal head now, i've always been sort of a metal head. Ever since i was born my dad exposed me to 80's metal and when i got older the music got heavier and heavier so don't preach to me about how i just turned metal 'overnight' ask any of my friends. Put that in your freakin' pipe and smoke it.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

I think everyone needs a little of everything in their musical diet. don't ditch all that other stuff. Greenday (corny as it may be) is still good to look too for a musician. I'm all about Metal/Goth Rock, jazz. but i still like to listen to some blink 182 once in a while or even some ethnic music from the middle east. Not to mention Metal roots back to classic punk bands. Metallica (even though i hate them) and Megadeth found inspiration in bands like The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Misfits, etc. And other Metal bands branched off Metallica and Megadeth therefore revolutionizing Metal, as well as inspiring new punk bands that aren't half bad. Do a little research and expand your musical knowledge before you ditch your original taste.

Believe me i know my Metal and i agree with Funky posers aren't welcome to me or other real Metal heads who already know what i said above. Get your facts straight brother
    Last edited by Metal-head; 03-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Yeah but i'm getting sick of my old favorite bands.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

I don't see how you can just get sick of your old favorite bands, maybe I just stick to what i love forever i mean Guns N' Roses has been my favorite band since age 3. Anyway don' lose the taste for punk rock just yet and look to other Metal bands. All the bands you listed above are mainstream and is what all the posers listen to. Screw slipknot and Metallica and introduce yourself to some less known but better Metal bands Like Venom, Bathory, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, X Japan, Queensryche. All are good choices just from the top of my head
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Yea, ive gotta agree with metal-head and funky

Just because you say you love these bands dosnt make you a metal head, and a true drummer should know how to play more than just metal, cuz i mean, cmon lets face it, lately metal has just been kick your feet and let the singer do the work,

(by more than metal i mean, you should be able to play soft, you should be able to play slow, you should be able to play jazz, the absolute opposite of metal)

But if you want the good metal from the 80's when metal was first created if you will, get into bands like sabbath, maiden, priest, ect

And also i agree wtih metal-head as stated above, listen to some lesser known bands too, even though i dislike those lesser known bands, still listen to lesser-known bands

PS, you do know, those sissy rifts and such, are a lot harder than metal is.... As long as you can play fast, you can work it out to play metal, to play green day and The peppers, green day uses part punk, part heavy, ect

The peppers use a lot of funk drum lines and such, their not sissy, their a lot harder than metal (in my opinon at least, im not saying metal isnt fun to play, it is, but it dosnt take much talent)

User Info Menu

that sucks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    I've ditched all my sissy riffs and songs and turned into an all metal drummer. NO MORE GREEN DAY, OR CHILLI PEPPERS. Now it's Lamb of God, Slayer, Metallica, Mastodon, Chimera, Korn, Slipknot, Pantera. all hail metal!
    ok i agree green day sucks, but RHCP is awesum ! ! !

and i absolutely love all of the bands u listed, xept for pantera. eew.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I'd actually disagree with you Ch33zz, most of RHCP's drum beats are exactly the same. I'm pretty sure you can use the riff out of "Californication" for any Chili Peppers song.

As for metal not being hard to play, I think you are looking at the wrong bands. Take a look at anything by Lamb of God, Meshuggah or Shadows Fall and I think you'll see my point. I'll agree a lot of mediocre metal bands are going with all double bass speed or nothing, but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree.

Sterotypically, metal bands are double bass and the bass player playing the open string, with the guitarist doing tapping solos (LOL hurray for Dragon Force)

But there are the exceptions, all you have to do is find them.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lezzledrummer
    and i absolutely love all of the bands u listed, xept for pantera. eew.
    I think I missed something. You like Slayer and not Pantera

Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    I think I missed something. You like Slayer and not Pantera

Keith
    i second that. i love slayer but think pantera were wannabees. i was a huge slayer fan in "88" when i saw pantera in houston. you would have thought pantera was a skid row tribute band. pink guitars, spandex and huge hair. i think they saw all the attention speed metal was getting as hair bands were going out, and decided to capitalize. gotta be the first case of a hair band selling out to be thrash/speed metal
    but thats just me being over opinionated again
    im not saying you are a poser cam, it always takes people a while to find the music and style that is thiers. metal heads will accept anyone that is hard enuff to be true and honest with themselves. to be metal has more to do with being yourself. trust me i know, it was the punx and thrashers that took me in and helped me to be myself when i moved to cali from ks. at 12 years old. i WAS a poser when i moved there. i thought i had an ida of how cali was by movies like fast times at ridgemont high. i was immediately the biggest dork in school. the punx liked me cuzz i didnt take crap from the yuppie kids and figured i would be a good punk rocker.
    btw.
    the correct metal response to anything i said that might have offended you is go (bad word ) yourself. i will do what i want!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Really? Pantera? Was that before or after they got their one singer, cuz i do remember their original singer was glam metal

And HB there are exceptions to the rule of metal, but most of the metal that gets teh spotlight is nothing but double bass

I mean, joey jordison isnt bad, vinnie paul isnt bad, ect

PS, i said joey wasnt bad, i never said anything about him being great, so if any tommy lee fanatic gets in here and starts thinking about getting all over me about how great tommy lee is, just dont

User Info Menu

yep, really. same singer and all. phil had a monster head of sprayed and teased hair. and was acctually pretty good at the sebastion bach type vox.
    he used to have quite a vocal range.

User Info Menu

wow, this has gone awry.
    and Pantera is awsome, but sometimes they do suck. and about the double bass thing, yeah it's true most metal songs use it. but some metal drum songs are hard, as said by hb. So yes i'll continue to be metal both from the past and present and i'll still listen to the other bands i like. but what you guys think is your own opinion.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    Your preference is up to you and your business but by opening yourself to more than one genre of music you might find a fill or a beat in another genre that you may not particularly care for that you can utilize and play in your metal drumming. Just more tools in the toolbox right?
    I am on the same page with CyberComa, expose yourself to as many styles and your overall ability and respect for music will durastically increase
    Just saying, its not good, nor healthy, to isolate yourself to one style of music

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

If you plan on being a poser, and actually going to metal concerts. Prepare to be eaten alive, a real metal-head will sniff you out in seconds, and he'll make sure you're in the Death Pit.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hey A hole I"ve been to metal concerts!
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

I could say I met Neil Peart. But no-one would know, because this is the internet.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Are you saying i'm making this up?
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

No, I just agree with funky. It's more metal to be yourself and like the bands you like than to try to listen to heavy stuff for popularities sake.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

metal heads are not mean nasty people, they will not really beat a poser up unless you ask for it. and by asking for it i mean being a fake and giving them a bad name. punk and metal were made out of people that did not fit with the rest of society, thus more acceptive of people wanting to be a part of the scene. at least it was this way for me with REAL metal heads and punks in 80s los angles.
    if you love the music, thats all you need to do. trust me when i say that nobody will ever doubt my "metal status" because i love jazz and funk as well as death metal. if anyone doubts you, it is ok to say "hey i'm young and just learning and getting into metal" nobody can give you **** for that. very few kids were like mine and born into a family of metal fans. i used to break dance when i was younger for gods sake