Thread: Budget Drum triggers

User Info Menu

Default Budget Drum triggers

Hey guys and gals, I have a quick question. I play my acoustic kit for gigs and rehearsals, however we are beginning to have some neighbor complaints. I was thinking of setting up a headphone style rehearsal, so I need to get some e-drum triggers. I have an older Alesis D4 module, so all I really need is an electric kit to trigger the brain. I may use some of the pads live to enhance some of the tunes (synth bass etc.) What is a decent cheap way to go? I would love to keep it under $200 is possible. Thoughts??
    John-

User Info Menu

Default Re: Budget Drum triggers

Check out Drum Dial triggers, but buy them on ebay so you can get the guards as well. Or you can just get the triggers and figure out how you want to tape them. You only need mounts for the drums, the triggers will attach to the cymbals with tape. The DD fellow makes them knows the fellow (both live in Tuscon) who sells them on ebay with the guards, so it's on the up and up. PS - I have a brand new set unopened from them that I would let go. They are at home now. It should have enough for 4 toms, snare, kick, and 2 crash, 1 hat, and one ride.
    Last edited by CharlyG; 01-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

drumdial's are my personal favorite, although you can get the diy cone triggers for a fair bit less,(around 30 for a set) and you just have to figure out how to install them. otherwise you can look for pintech's drum triggs with traps on em, or drumdial triggs without guards(around 40) and tape them to the batter head.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I got 5 DD triggers with guards for 56 bucks inc shipping from that fellow. I bought one more and then 4 without guards for the cymbals. He shipped it all at once, but I bought the 5 off his ebay store and the rest when I emailed.Pretty much 10 bucks a piece with guards, and less for the just the trigger, I'm thinking $8?

kinda hard to beat.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies. I actually already have several of those style triggers from a long time ago. I should have been more clear in my original post. Essentially I'm looking to take my acoustic kit completely out of the equation (for rehearsal purposes) and use an electric kit for rehearsing, and add just a pad/trigger or two to the acoustic kit for live events. I'm looking for a budget version of a Yamaha DTXplorer, or an electric pad drum kit with out the brain. Is there a dealer that will sell just the electric pads with out a brain?
    John-