Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What sticks do you prefer?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What sticks do you prefer?

mts1 i never played snare just tenors base and cymbals :O
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I recently tried out a pair of Vic Firth AJ2 sticks, and I have been very impressed. 5A size, 16" L, with great rebound because of the longer taper. This is either the right stick for this part of my drumming journey, or it will just become my stick.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I've used Vic Firth Dave Weckls for years. I can't seem to get away from them. I have small hands, so they really suit me well. Plus they are red. Everyone knows the Dave sticks because of this fact. LOL I prefer wood tips to all of the sticks I use.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I recently tried out a pair of Vic Firth AJ2 sticks, and I have been very impressed. 5A size, 16" L, with great rebound because of the longer taper. This is either the right stick for this part of my drumming journey, or it will just become my stick.

I've been using VF AJ2's for quite a while now.

User Info Menu

I use and have for the 6 years Maple and Hickory 5A Los Cabos nylon and wood tips. Great durable and affordable sticks.

User Info Menu

Depends ,if it's drum corp,I've always had a soft spot for the Ludwig 3S.

In the olden days you could get a lamo model which I liked the feel and balance of.

Regular military marching concert band was Ludwig 5B.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I just bought a pair of Promark Mike Portnoy sticks. I think they are 420s or something, with nylon tip. I really like them so far - .531 diameter fits my hands a lot better.

Tex

User Info Menu

I used to use a lot of promark 747's. But I hate the way they make my ride sound. The tip is too big. I've been using promark wood tip 7a's. they can take a beating! THANKFULLY one of the smaller owned music shops where I take my lessons have the old stock promarks, because nobody buys anything there. (The ones with the rounded letters and don't say D'addorio). I've tried the new ones and they're just not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I just bought a pair of Promark Mike Portnoy sticks. I think they are 420s or something, with nylon tip. I really like them so far - .531 diameter fits my hands a lot better.

Tex
    I've been looking for those sticks! Is it closer to a 7a or 5a?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I've been looking for those sticks! Is it closer to a 7a or 5a?
    I'm pretty sure they are closer to the 7a.

Tex

User Info Menu

I have been using the Neil Peart signature ProMarks and they are working great for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have been using the Neil Peart signature ProMarks and they are working great for me.
    Aren't those just rebranded 747's?
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Aren't those just rebranded 747's?
    Exactly. The Neil Peart ones are japan oak

-Mike

User Info Menu

Promark 747 nylon tips. They just seem to have the right weight and feel for me.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Los Cabos sticks are very durable and well balanced. I use the Maple or Hickory depending on how hard I hit. Use both nylon and wood tips. 5A's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Promark 747 nylon tips. They just seem to have the right weight and feel for me.
    the tips snap to easy for me. So i need to use the wood tip. But I love the Oak so I need to use the Neil Pearts

User Info Menu

I also just got a set of Promark 719s. It seems that the 719s and 420s in addition to the thinner grip area, also have thicker necks. I'm breaking a lot fewer sticks since I've started trying these.

I'm sure I could work on my technique and solve the problem altogether. Buuuut...sticks are still the cheapest part of the equation....

Tex

Tex
    Last edited by Texdrumr; 04-02-2015 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

The nylon tips on all promarks break so easy for me. They don't just break off, they just crack right below the tip.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The nylon tips on all promarks break so easy for me. They don't just break off, they just crack right below the tip.
    EXACTLY!

User Info Menu

Huh... I've never had that happen. But then again, I'm not a hard hitter either.

Oh well, there's plenty more sticks out there in the world to be bought.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

2b or not 2b...that is the question...no wait...that is my answer.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I'm I. Love with the Vic Firth Bubby Rich sticks. My local GC had bags of the second stock Vic Firth sticks on sale, 10 pair for $10. I found 3 bags of the Buddie Rich sticks, and bought them all. 30 pairs of sticks for $30!!!!!!!!! I probably threw out 7 of 8 sticks that were not straight, but still an incredible value. And as an added bonus, they weren't painted.

User Info Menu

Interesting ... Ive been playing Pro-Mark for over 20 years and never once had that happen...but then Im not a heavy hitter so that may be why I never experienced that problem. Although, Pro-Mark sold out to D'Addario a couple of years ago and so maybe things have "changed" ...I may need to buy a couple more pairs of their Shira Kashi Oak Jazz sticks with the Nylon tips ... just to see what happens.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Interesting ... Ive been playing Pro-Mark for over 20 years and never once had that happen...but then Im not a heavy hitter so that may be why I never experienced that problem. Although, Pro-Mark sold out to D'Addario a couple of years ago and so maybe things have "changed" ...I may need to buy a couple more pairs of their Shira Kashi Oak Jazz sticks with the Nylon tips ... just to see what happens.
    I only noticed this after D'addorio bought the company. My local music shop has old stock promark sticks because nobody shops there. I guess it just means more quality sticks for me.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I keep wanting to go back to Neil Peart 747's because they feel amazing. They're nice solid powerful sticks, but I hate the way they sound on the ride! The wood tip is just too big. Has anyone used the nylon tip 747's? How do they sound on the ride?

-Mike