Thread: E-Practice Pd vs. RMP-5

User Info Menu

Default E-Practice Pd vs. RMP-5

Alesis E-Practice Pad vs. Roland RMP-5.

I know the Roland has a mesh head and the Alesis has a rubber pad, but other than that, what are the main differences?

Has anyone done a side by side comparison, or spent significant time using each? Pros and cons? Preferences? Likes/dislikes? Annoyances? Outstanding features?

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-Practice Pd vs. RMP-5

I don't know anything about the Alesis product, but I've owned an RMP-5 for about a year.

I like the Roland product and have used it extensively. I especially like the rhythm coach features and ability to hook additional triggers to it.

Kind of expensive for such a one-trick pony, but I feel I've gotten my money's worth.

However, it doesn't get used as much any more since I got my TD-9 kit. I go back to it occasionally to check my timing, and practice rudiments with the coach function.

If the Alesis pad can be mounted to a stand, so you can set it up like a snare, then I'd say give it a shot. The price certainly seems reasonable.

User Info Menu

Another option is the "Beatnik" (sp?) trainer. I played with one at NAMM and it had alot of cool features. It had a readout to tell you if you were ahead of or behind the beat. It has alot of options and it has things like if you play a pattern for a few minutes it will graph where you were on your timing. It did alot of other things too. Just another option to check out.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

OK, picked up a Simmons SD1 (same basic unit as the Alesis). I stuck some batteries in it and played with it a bunch while we were driving back from the races in Talladega this past weekend. Only messed with it for a few hours so far, but it's a lot of fun!

I hooked up the included bass and hi-hat pedals (more like cheesy foot operated switches) along with an old Pintech trigger cymbal last night and had an absolute blast with it. Ran it through my practice PA and it actually sounded really cool.

I really wish it had volume controls for the different triggers, but then again, whaddaya want for a hundred bucks?

The rhythm coach feature is pretty neat. Evidently my timing doesn't suck as bad as I though.

The game is, uh, not exactly uselesss, but seems to be of little value.
    A few of my friends have tried it out and really like it also. The drummer in the band I'm playing bass in pretty much fell in love with it.

All in all, I can highly recommend it!