Thread: looking for amp

User Info Menu

Default looking for amp

Hey guys, I just ordered my td-9 and I need an amp. I was going to get the simmons da50 but i heard from alot of places that it sounded reeaally bad. I heard that keyboard amps and bass amps work well also? I need something around $200 so if you know of anything good in that price range that would be great.

thanks, Nico

User Info Menu

Default Re: looking for amp

Nico, I bought a good used keyboard amp for about $100. It's a Peavey KB60, and yes, it will handle double duty. When it comes to amps, I would be a bit of a snob and stay with the bigger names. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The Simmons 50watt drumset monitor is bad, because of it's susceptibility to noise and buzz- it just can't handle too high of a setting unfortunately and it lacks the power needed to cancel out the noise of rubber pads. However, their 200watt version is excellent because it can handle the higher or lower volumes. It will get you everything you need until you play something larger than a medium sized venue. Probably your best bet with drumset monitors period, unless you can afford a high end keyboard amp like a Yorkville. However I gotta give credit to the versatility of the peavey, and they have the added plus of having add on cabinets available for some serious power. Though if you aren't playing a seriously loud place I doubt you will need to go that far.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-09-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What has been said above about the Simmons above is true to a point. It seems nothing more than a compilation of MF reviews. I own one, and it is plenty loud. There was a review that complained about am interference, but I havent notced it. I do know some small churches use this amp with no prob. It is certainly loud enough to not hear the pads. You may near them on a 5 watt amp, but 50 at 3/4 is too loud for home use. The vol is at 9:00 which is barely idling.
    Last edited by CharlyG; 01-09-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

ok thanks guys, i think im going to wait and just shop around for a used one on craigslist/ebay or someone my drum teacher knows, thanks again :D

User Info Menu

I tried it at a gc and didnt like it. It seemed as if it couldnt handle the higher frequencies like the cymbal sounds and such and the crashes always sounded really fuzzy and noisy.

I lamented over this a while ago and one guy here, and I forget who it was, said that the small speaker size was why the simmons broke up at those frequencies. IIRC it had 4 8" speakers or something like that.

Like PB, I too went with a used keyboard amp, ironically the same Peavey KB60 keyboard amp. It has a 15" speaker and it really thumps, plus it holds the highs nicely and they stay crisp. It's plenty loud, too.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Personally I think that for all electronic drum modules it's best to run them through a PA because of the sound spread you get from having multiple speakers. Granted, that's probably the single most expensive avenue to go down, but end result it's probably best for live sound.

That being said, keyboard amps will probably work great for the TD-9 in smaller rooms. Check out the Behringer and Roland keyboard amps, those are really popular, or the Alesis Sumo. The only complaint I've heard about the Alesis Sumo is that after a few years of touring the crossovers tend to blow at show volume, but as far as tonality it's a great sounding, reasonably priced amp.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

In order for you to get the most from a drum amp, it needs to have it's SPEAKERS have a response from ~20-20khz. Most amps will get there. A PA or kbd amp usually only goes down to 55 or so, without a sub.

Always remember, once you start getting much past 1 or 2 o'clock on the vols, it's time to think of a bigger amp. They start distorting near the limits.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    In order for you to get the most from a drum amp, it needs to have it's SPEAKERS have a response from ~20-20khz. Most amps will get there. A PA or kbd amp usually only goes down to 55 or so, without a sub.

Always remember, once you start getting much past 1 or 2 o'clock on the vols, it's time to think of a bigger amp. They start distorting near the limits.
    When you say "most amps" but not a "PA or kbd amp", what kind of "most" amps are you referring to?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

pa and kbd are included. It's about the speakers that come with, not the amp itself..
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Ok, so to pick your brain even more, I have a Crate wedge amp with a 15" speaker with 2.5" voice coil and 56 oz. magnet and 2 HF drivers. The specs don't indicate the freq. range. Any idea how I can find out or do I just see if I can make it sound good?

User Info Menu

Take a look at my post in the other thread about amping edrums in general.

As for your Crate, given what little you've provided, it might work well. Is it a keyboard amp? If so, yeah, it should be decent.

Even with a pair of powered cabinets that each have a 15" speaker, a lot of folks still also want a sub woofer, really depends on how much thump an low end a) you want, and b) the pair of PA speakers provide. Some models in the latter category do just fine by themselves.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

User Info Menu

I use a Peavey KB4 with my TD20-K and it sounds just fine. My other choice might have been the KB5 but at the time, my wallet wouldn't allow it. Also, from what I have read, the KB60 has a 12" main.
    Last edited by jrmac53; 02-09-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: adding to post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grog View Post
    Take a look at my post in the other thread about amping edrums in general.

As for your Crate, given what little you've provided, it might work well. Is it a keyboard amp? If so, yeah, it should be decent.

Even with a pair of powered cabinets that each have a 15" speaker, a lot of folks still also want a sub woofer, really depends on how much thump an low end a) you want, and b) the pair of PA speakers provide. Some models in the latter category do just fine by themselves.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    I tried the Crate using a BETA 52 and WOW! Way warmer than my NADY. The only thing was that the volume was fairly low. I was using an xlr cable straight into the amp. I am wondering if I need a pre-amp or small mixing board. If I go with a mixing board, I can use xlr or 1/4". I don't know what difference it makes though (but I am having fun trying things out).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post

Charly, thanks for passing along your experience on this. As a bass player, you certainly understand the need for bottom end. I checked the Peavey KB-60 that I have, and the frequency response is 60hz-20kHz. It would indeed be better with more bottom end.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!